Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deworm a dog

• 09-03-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭

What is the best way to deworm a dog.

Is a tablet good enough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yep tablets are perfect, but not the ones from pet shops or supermarkets. The actual wormers that work well can be bought over the counter at the vets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭cena

Yep tablets are perfect, but not the ones from pet shops or supermarkets. The actual wormers that work well can be bought over the counter at the vets!

Could you use the ones from the likes of boots or are they too strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Boots don't sell animal wormers though?? You must get them in a vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not necessarily - Maxizoo sell Drontal ;)

andreac wrote: »
    Boots don't sell animal wormers though?? You must get them in a vets.

The human ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »

I didn't realise that.. Ooh must price it compared to milbemax :P I was talking about that bob Martin crap and similar ones :P

Don't use human wormers on dogs, the dose would be completely off and it could end up very dangerous! The vets will be able to give a wormer for the dogs correct weight, plus it's easier to give the ones from the vet as they are usually tasty (for the animal!) so they will take them like a treat. Also certain Anthelmintic (wormers) drugs can be dangerous for certain breeds (namely ivermectin in collies) so really the vets is the only job for it.

Well try to get to a pet store tomorrow if I leave the house

There's no rush to worm a dog do just wait until you can get the proper dog wormer from the vets.
    Never ever give human drugs to your pet unless your vet has given the ok to do this as you could kill your pet by doing so.

cena wrote: »
    Well try to get to a pet store tomorrow if I leave the house

I'd wait until you can get to a vets as not all per stores sell the proper wormer. Make sure you stick to the likes of drontal if you are getting them from the pet shop.

tk123 wrote: »

I got 2 frontal tablets. 8 euro. Is that about right

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    I got 2 frontal tablets. 8 euro. Is that about right

Im sure it is. All depends on size and weight of the dog. Did they tell you how much to give?

He said two would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's one tablet per 10kg.

Meant to say as well, both Parazole (fenbendazole) and Drontal (praziquantel) are classed as companion animal medicines, so they can be sold in chemists and pet shops. Both very reliable wormers, but be sure to follow the instructions exactly and have an accurate record of your dog's weight for the dosage. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

also remember this is not a once a year treatment ideally they need to be done every 3 months

I always use my dads old way of remembering to dose his idea was to dose the first week of each season

Advertisement