Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are all my options for festivals in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I've gotten to the point where I've pretty much lost hope in any bands I like playing concerts during the summer, however, now I want to go to a festival, since there's no bands I like playing. The options I know of are Oxegen, Indiependence, Electric Picnic, Longitude and Forbidden Fruit. Of all of these, Electric Picnic would be the most appealing based on past line ups, but I want to see all my options. Which festivals do you people think are run the best in Ireland? I've considered Indiependence, as that also seems like a good option based on past line ups, but it could be badly run. I'm looking for mostly the festival experience, as if I'm lucky, at any festival I might find 3 acts I already like, so the overall line up isn't too important, mostly the experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

What kinds of music do you like?
    Rock, alternative, dancey etc?

There's a lot of festivals you haven't mentioned, and some of the smaller ones, eg Vantastival, give a lot better festival experience than the likes of Oxegen (which, thankfully, seems to have drowned in a pool of it's own vomit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Have you considered a festival abroad in Europe? Opens up the field and chances are you'll find something that gives you a great festival experience as well as a line up you really like. And if you're willing to go further afield then the UK, almost guaranteed sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Festival of Fires Early May, Westmeath I think - Rock, folk, pageantry events and installations - one day event
    Vantastival, Bellurgan Park, County Louth - May 2nd - 4th Music: Rock, folk, outdoor events and installations- Mainly a campervan festival but there is camping too.
    Life festival. Belvedere House, near Mullingar, Westmeath. 23rd - 25th May
    Music: House, techno, drum n bass, dubstep, ambient chill out, live music: Rock and folk acts, installations. Mostly a nice vibe, a few hard pillheads about but its definitely not Oxegen by any means. (5,000 capacity).
    Forbidden Fruit, Dublin 31st May - 1st June (Non-camping)
    Music: A big mix like EP, Electronic acts, rock and pop acts although more left of the field, dance music: covers quite a few different genres. Nice vibe: genuine music fans and hipsters. Concerts finish each night at 10.45pm. (Capacity 10,000)
    Body & Soul festival. Ballinlough Castle, Westmeath June 20th - 22nd
    Music: Live bands and electronic musicians - rock, folk, world music, electronic music, progressive dance (house, techno, dubstep, DnB)
    Many stages throughout the woods as well as the midnight circus tent and main stage. Many installations and stalls and strange unusual venues.
    A really relaxed vibe and probably more hedonistic than Life festival. (5,000 capacity).
    Sea Sessions. Bundoran, County Donegal 27th - 29th June.
    Music: Rock. pop, electronic and dance. A nice vibe and mix of people.
    (Capacity 3,000)
    Longitude, Marley Park, Dublin 17th - 20th July. (Non-camping)
    Music: Same as Forbidden Fruit as mixture of electronic, rock & pop and dance music too. Same vibe as FF too and I think concerts finish at the same time as FF too. (Capacity 10,000)

Thats some of them covered for you, you can also check some of my reviews to give you an idea of EP and some of the ones mentioned above.
    http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/electric-picnic-festival-2013-review/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

That's a great post, thanks. In general I like classic and mainstream rock and metal, but I'm not opposed to listening to mainstream pop music either, the only music I really don't like is dance music and country music. I've considered going to the UK for a festival and I've considered Download and Sonisphere, I would definitely go to Download, but it doesn't seem I'll be able to get the funds together this year, so I'll probably have to settle for something in Ireland. Has anyone ever been to the Westport Festival of Food and Music? I'd be interested in seeing Bryan Adams, but not so interested that I'd want to go to a badly run festival for him. Does anyone know if it's a good experience?

Advertisement