Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fisher Price Jumperoo

Options
  • 09-03-2014 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, trying to decide which one to buy for our upcoming addition. There's the Rainforest Jumperoo or the Discover and Grow Jumperooo.

Anyone any advice or recommendations on which they think is the better one or the more entertaining one? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We had rainforest. Honestly, it's the bouncing they love. Mine never played with the dangly bits on it. Just jumped and jumped and jumped until she started using it as a climbing frame and we had to take it down.

It's a much loved family hand-me down around here. It's through five kids already. My new little girl will probably love it in a few months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

We had a rainforest and as pwurple says its the jumping and bouncing that keeps them entertained. He didn't start playing with the toys around it until he was nearly 1. It was one of our most valuable toys, he just loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I personally wouldn't buy either until the child is here, when they are 4-5mths old you can try them out in them in a shop (or borrow from a relative or friend) and see which they like. My older child had a stationary activity centre (didn't bounce, but the seat spins around and loads of attachements?) and he got months and months and months out of it, he just loved it, from about 6-18mths - even once he was crawling & subsequently walking he still loved it.

The 2nd boy got about a week out of it and then had no time for it at all, so i borrowed one of the jumperoos things for him (i'm not sure which one it was) and he liked it for a short while, but he crawled before 7mths and that was that then he wasn't to be confined - i'm so glad i didn't buy it for him or it would have been a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

We have the rainforest one. My little man loves it. I got it second hand for him when he was about 4 months. He's almost 11 months now and still loves it, but as he's crawling now he doesn't use it as much.

To be honest, I would definitely buy one second hand, and as another poster said. wait until they arrive and see if you'll need one at all. They take up a bit of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks guys, basically it's going to be a present for baby from her granny (husbands mum). She's asked us what to get for a present for the new baby but we have absolutely everything we need.

We never got a jumperoo for our first who's 15months now. But I occasionally put him in the one at our local toddler cafe when he was a bit younger and he seemed to love it. So I always said when we have another baby id definitely get one. It does seem to take up a lot of space tho!

• Advertisement

Could you just get a voucher or cash equivalent from your mother in law and explain there's nothing you need right now but that there may be some things when baby is a small bit older.

Or ask mother-in-law would she mind buying something for the older child instead explaining of course that the younger child will get to use in time also eg. a balance bike, pedal tractor, tricycle etc.. These are things my oldest got so much use out of from 1.5-2yrs+, he still plays with the pedal-tractors & balance bike (he's 4) and my younger lad, 16mths, is showing interest in them now too.

If you feel you need it you could get the jumperoo 2nd hand on donedeal later on but you might find you've no real need of it.

My 2nd just did everything so much younger than the 1st - he didn't much use out of the baby stuff at all - he crawled just before 7mths and walked before 10mths. He never liked being confined in any contraption for more than 5-10mins even before crawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Another plus one for the rainforest, my liitle fella is using a three time hand me down and loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

we're thinking of investing in the rainforest jumperoo. Our little guy is 15 weeks old - is he too young? I can't find any info on amazon as to what age it's for...

About 4 months is the age mine started using it. As soon as they are strong enough to sit in it basically.

Thanks-ours should be arriving tomorrow - can't wait! But I have just now read that the maximum weight for the jumperoo is 11 kg :(
    Our little guy is just under 4 months but last time we weighed him, he was 8.2kg - I don't think we'll get long out of the jumperoo in that case!

Did any of you keep using yours after your baby reached 11kg?

• Advertisement

Not sure what weight she was, but shortly after she managed to start pulling herself up from sitting to standing we had to get rid of it. She started using it as a climbing frame, which was a bit dangerous, and she hated being stuck in it at that stage as well. We probably used it from about 4 to 9 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm sure it's too late for op now but we got something like this only a bit more elaborate. http://www.toys.ie/Jump-and-Play-Activity-Centre-!131134-prd.aspx

Little guy plays in it every morn as we rush around trying to get ready for work. It has three adjustable heights too so at 13 months he still had another height to go. We don't have a playpen so if I need to leave the room I pop him into this and he's happy out.

Thanks-ours should be arriving tomorrow - can't wait! But I have just now read that the maximum weight for the jumperoo is 11 kg :(
    Our little guy is just under 4 months but last time we weighed him, he was 8.2kg - I don't think we'll get long out of the jumperoo in that case!

Did any of you keep using yours after your baby reached 11kg?

Once he starts moving the weight gain slows down drastically, i wouldn't worry. My little lad was a long & heavy/big baby, i can't remember what weight he would have been at 4mths but he was in 6-9mth clothing, and now at 17mths he's just 10.5kg. He's wearing the same size clothes for the past 9mths (a combination of mostly 9-12mth & some 12-18mth).

He got bored & frustrated with being confined long before his weight would have hit any limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi guys, trying to decide which one to buy for our upcoming addition. There's the Rainforest Jumperoo or the Discover and Grow Jumperooo.

Anyone any advice or recommendations on which they think is the better one or the more entertaining one? Thanks :)

Sligo1 which one did you go for? I really want one of these but can't decide whether to get the fisher price one/baby Einstein or babyblo one? The bungee jump things on the door are way cheaper did you consider them? I would like them as they don't take up space but they scare me!

Millem wrote: »
    Sligo1 which one did you go for? I really want one of these but can't decide whether to get the fisher price one/baby Einstein or babyblo one? The bungee jump things on the door are way cheaper did you consider them? I would like them as they don't take up space but they scare me!

Hi millem, we haven't got it yet but we're gonna go for the fp rainforest I think. Baby only 3 weeks so no rush but granny will be getting in for her in the next while. The only thing that's putting me off is the amount of space it takes up but tbh our living is like the inside of a play cafe anyway with all the vtech stuff etc so it's not going to look out of place. Lol. Have you tried any of them out? What do you think of them?

O yea... The bungee things scare me too!

Hi millem, we haven't got it yet but we're gonna go for the fp rainforest I think. Baby only 3 weeks so no rush but granny will be getting in for her in the next while. The only thing that's putting me off is the amount of space it takes up but tbh our living is like the inside of a play cafe anyway with all the vtech stuff etc so it's not going to look out of place. Lol. Have you tried any of them out? What do you think of them?

We haven't tried any of them but I think he will love it as he wants to be either sitting up or standing the whole time! I am the same with space but I plan on keeping the box and putting it up and down every day, so I hope it is not too much of an ordeal? I do that with his bouncy chair and gym.
    I have enquirer about it and it is too awkward to put up and down everyday :( lady in the shop recommended the baby Einstein over jumperoo as it will last longer but doesn't bounce it spins 360 degrees? She also tells me he needs to be a good 4 months for jumperoo?

We haven't tried any of them but I think he will love it as he wants to be either sitting up or standing the whole time! I am the same with space but I plan on keeping the box and putting it up and down every day, so I hope it is not too much of an ordeal? I do that with his bouncy chair and gym.
    I have enquirer about it and it is too awkward to put up and down everyday :( lady in the shop recommended the baby Einstein over jumperoo as it will last longer but doesn't bounce it spins 360 degrees? She also tells me he needs to be a good 4 months for jumperoo?

Yea that's why we haven't got ours yet... She's way too young at the minute. The seat in the jumperoo also turns around 360 tho I think... Perhaps try them out and see what you think. I think the babylo would take up less room but I love the jumperoo. My fella preferred it aswell when he was a bit younger and would play in it in the play cafe. You should try them out tho before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we got the rainforest one second hand after it had been through 4 other kids and it's been through one of ours and about to come out for the 2nd one and it's still practically as good as new.

it's probably one of the most popular toys of its type and i've never heard anyone say anything negative at all about it, kids just love it. :)

only thing i would say is to fold up a blanket under it so they have something soft to land on to save their little knees. i know it's spring loaded, but a bit of extra cushioning can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

just a word on these, I mentioned to my physio that I have one (not a jumperoo but similar) and she became concerned and said to be absolutely sure that the baby's feet are flat on the floor when using it, and not on their tip toes. She said she sees lots of babies who's calf muscles are shortened and who have difficulty learning to walk as a result; they walk on tiptoe. I'd imagine that only applies if the baby is in it for an extended period of time, my lad only stays in it for five minutes. Not criticising them, just thought I'd mention it (mine's a lifesaver when I need that five minutes!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I thought with the jumperoo type of one their feet are supposed to be completely off the floor. I know that its bad if they are on their toes but the jumperoo has 3 settings so its supposed to be raised as the baby gets bigger. I understand with the non bouncy ones its probably better to have the feet fully on the ground.

Ah right, as I said, I just mentioned to the physio and this was her reply. I don't have a jumperoo - the one I have is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-Playzone-Take-Along-Activity-Centre/dp/B0002VZ2IW His feet are flat on the floor as it goes, but I'd imagine if he was a little shorter he'd be pressing up with his toes

My phn and physio said that exact same thing in regards to walkers and tippee toes. walkers are not recommended at all. But I'd say a few minutes every so often can't hurt.... As long as they're not left in them for long periods... And feet are flat on the ground I'd say they fine. Open to correction tho :)

My phn and physio said that exact same thing in regards to walkers and tippee toes. walkers are not recommended at all. But I'd say a few minutes every so often can't hurt.... As long as they're not left in them for long periods... And feet are flat on the ground I'd say they fine. Open to correction tho :)

Seriously I thought the worry was over after the birth! Between tummy time/flat heads/watching tv/in car seats for more than an hour it never stops! Maybe I will give the jumperoo a miss if not good for development?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I found the jumperoo great and I never had any concerns for their development when using it. I found it was great when they were at the stage of being bored just lying on their play mat and they wanted to be up and looking around.

Seriously I thought the worry was over after the birth! Between tummy time/flat heads/watching tv/in car seats for more than an hour it never stops! Maybe I will give the jumperoo a miss if not good for development?

I wouldn't worry too much Millem. As long as LOs not left in it all day. I think it's a great toy and l'll definitely be getting one :)

Oh, the thing I have is great - he only wants to be in it for a few mins though. As Sligo says, as long as he's not in it for hours it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

nikpmup wrote: »
    just a word on these, I mentioned to my physio that I have one (not a jumperoo but similar) and she became concerned and said to be absolutely sure that the baby's feet are flat on the floor when using it, and not on their tip toes. She said she sees lots of babies who's calf muscles are shortened and who have difficulty learning to walk as a result; they walk on tiptoe. I'd imagine that only applies if the baby is in it for an extended period of time, my lad only stays in it for five minutes. Not criticising them, just thought I'd mention it (mine's a lifesaver when I need that five minutes!)

I think that applies more to walkers than jumperoo type activity centers. Walkers are notoriously bad for tippy toes and general hip, leg and foot development and really should be banned, as they are in Canada. There are far more risks to a baby in a walker than a jumperoo. Once you don't leave them in for long periods - I used ours mainly to have a hot cuppa in peace for ten minutes - I don't think they do any long term damage. I think people tend to leave children in walkers because they look like they're getting loads of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We have one of the saucer-based jumperoos and I find it invaluable as something to pop him into if I want to run to clothes line/bins etc. he's 23 pounds now and still loves it and has another height adjustment still to go.

• Advertisement

I was just reading the instruction book that came with the jumperoo the other day, because I wasn't sure if he was low enough in it, and it said that the babys entire foot should not be on the floor, nor should their legs be too short to touch the floor - it said the right position is just the toes reaching the floor. Our little lad likes his - its the only thing he doesn't tire of after 5 minutes - but it's pretty stiff on the 360 turns - he's definitely not strong enough to turn around in it yet.

Advertisement