Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy for a dog walker / active lifestyle

Options
  • 09-03-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm pregnant with my first child and also the proud owner of three dogs. I'm currently still walking them for an hour and a half a day and aim to continue with this until I'm only fit to waddle.

My worry is for when the baby arrives. I was looking at buggies today and I honestly don't know what kind of a one I'll need for an active lifestyle. Am I going to have to buy a 3 wheeler for baby/dog walking and a 4 wheeler for other use? Or would one do the job? The 3 wheelers I was looking at seemed light and manoeuvrable and just perfect, but doubt I'd fit much baby stuff under it. Will I even need to? Or if a get one of these Bugaboos everyone seems to love will that do everything lol?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Hi everyone, I'm pregnant with my first child and also the proud owner of three dogs. I'm currently still walking them for an hour and a half a day and aim to continue with this until I'm only fit to waddle.

My worry is for when the baby arrives. I was looking at buggies today and I honestly don't know what kind of a one I'll need for an active lifestyle. Am I going to have to buy a 3 wheeler for baby/dog walking and a 4 wheeler for other use? Or would one do the job? The 3 wheelers I was looking at seemed light and manoeuvrable and just perfect, but doubt I'd fit much baby stuff under it. Will I even need to? Or if a get one of these Bugaboos everyone seems to love will that do everything lol?

Any advice appreciated!

I've an uppababy vista and use it when walking my two dogs with toddler in the buggy and baba in a sling!!! The buggy is really easy to push and manoeuvre. It's a 4 wheeler with big shopping basket so I can use it to get a good bit of shopping too! !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I only use a 3 wheeler and it's beyond perfect. So light and maneuverable it's amazing. It honestly handles terrain like a tank while feeling like a hovercraft to push. I've never had any problem with the size of the basket underneath, it mightn't be the biggest but I never keep anything in it except heavy groceries when I'm shopping. And I certainly prefer having a light buggy that I can easily manage one handed with an incredibly tight turning circle when I'm in shops.

When my little guy was younger I used to take his nappy bag with us and I'd hang that from the handles but it would have fit in the basket if I'd preferred. Now I just use a bag that clips to the side of the buggy which fits snacks, spare nappy, a sling and shopping bags, etc. And I have a buggy buddy on the handles so I have my stuff immediately to hand but that's just a luxury as I never carry a handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

. Now I just use a bag that clips to the side of the buggy which fits snacks, spare nappy, a sling and shopping bags, etc. And I have a buggy buddy on the handles so I have my stuff immediately to hand but that's just a luxury as I never carry a handbag.[/quote]

Sorry to hijack OP

Iguana what kind of bag clips to the side. Im due no 2 this month and have a graco trekko duo (similar to phil and teds) and been thinking i wont be able to hang the bag from handle due to toddler underneath. And wont be space for a bag and shopping in the basket. Was thinking i will prob need to use a rucksack but something that clips to the side would be handy.

Mine came with the buggy but it's like this one only a bit smaller.

http://mountainbuggy.com/us/Buy/accessories/swift/side-saddles-storage-bags

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Thanks Imullen and iguana, two opposite opinions there but equally interesting :-) I am towards the 3 wheeler though, as with two ankle biters and a big soft lump I'll have my hands full so the more manoeuvrable the better!

Iguana can I ask what brand your buggy is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Although expensive, I bought a bugaboo and I find it brillant. I go walking for an hour every day on muddy, bumpy country roads and I find it great. The suspension on it is great and it's very sturdy. The wheels are also filled with foam and not air like most prams so there's no chance of a puncture. I also got a 3 year warranty with it so I know it'll go the distance. It'll resell well too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Although expensive, I bought a bugaboo and I find it brillant. I go walking for an hour every day on muddy, bumpy country roads and I find it great. The suspension on it is great and it's very sturdy. The wheels are also filled with foam and not air like most prams so there's no chance of a puncture. I also got a 3 year warranty with it so I know it'll go the distance. It'll resell well too :)

Agree 100%! I have 3 big Labradors who I walk together while pushing my bugaboo cameleon, LOVE IT. I push it one handed and one hand on dog leads. I researched for ages and test drove them. It came down to the uppababy vista or bugaboo. We chose bugaboo as we found it much lighter. I bring my dogs on mad mucky bumpy walks at weekend and bugaboo is amazing. In the summer I bring them to beach everyday, bugaboo has a beach mode! However I have never tried it! While I was preggers I trained my dogs to walk together and I linked them up and held leads with one hand in preparation for babs! Plus the carrycot is really long so your babs will get longer out if it. All the fabrics are 100% washable so brill if your dogs are droolers! Lol honestly I can't recommend it highly enough! I find you can scrimp on other things e.g. The cot bed no need for a €400 one! Or Highchair ikea €20ish but not the travel system! One of my dogs are blind (she is 12 and getting a bit contrary!) and has a tendency to wander off when off the lead, lie down chew her tennis ball and refuse to get up so I have to bring pram (across god only knows what kind of ground) to drag her home and it is no bother to bugaboo!
    Another thing I would recommend is the babybjorn babysitter bouncer soooo sturdy with the dogs! And the fabric comes off and goes into washing machine :)
    Don't ask me how but my bugaboo is still spotless! I wanted all sand as my labs are yellow and I am plagued with dog hair anyway sand base fabric is discounted so I got brown best decision as I have seen people with just a sand hood and the dirt on it would drive me mad! If you are in dublin tony kealy sells vita and cameleon so you could compare side by side! Vista has a big shopping basket but I find cameleon basket grand it holds our tennis balls, leads, thrower and poo bags! If we walk to shop I will put the milk and in basket too, sometimes I might have as plastic bag on my wrist (on hand that pushes pram) but I recently got a brainwave to bring a backpack lol! In fairness though I wouldn't be doing a big shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have a mama's and papas sola and love it. Have one dog that gets walked twice a day and likes to pull a lot. I find the sola sturdy, great at turning on a stamp and baby finds it very comfy.

Having said that, I use a connecta sling if i can at all. I find the slings great and it means i can go off the paths. Baby falls asleep and dog is happy as we can hit the beach :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The out n about nipper is great for walking and easy to manoeuvre .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I have the Uppababy Vista, I find it very sturdy but lightweight at the same time. I can very easily manage it with one hand around the shops, with a shopping basket in the other hand, and the basket of it fits a huge amount of shopping, it's great! However it's quite difficult to actually access the basket with carrycot attachment - it's fine with buggy or carseat, though. My only other complaint is that it is a little bit big and bulky ... but you can't have everything!

One big selling point for me was that the carrycot mattress is approved for overnight sleeping. It means that he has his Moses basket upstairs for night sleeps, but I'm happy for him to nap downstairs in the carrycot during the day. And, actually, the carrycot is much bigger and more comfortable-looking than the Moses basket! It makes life a lot easier, not having to be bringing the basket up and down the stairs several times a day.

The UV shades on the buggy and carrycot are handy too for if you're out and about a lot.

One more thing - I'm open to correction here - but as far as I know, you have to remove the buggy seat of the Cameleon to fold it? Whereas you don't have to remove it for the Vista. I'm not using the buggy yet - still on the carrycot - but that's important for me, as I get public transport a lot. Actually I'd imagine it would be important even if I had a car, having to fold it up in the boot each time!

As Milem said, the travel system is one thing that it's probably best not to scrimp on! Best to get something sturdy that will really last.

• Advertisement

I have the Uppababy Vista, I find it very sturdy but lightweight at the same time. I can very easily manage it with one hand around the shops, with a shopping basket in the other hand, and the basket of it fits a huge amount of shopping, it's great! However it's quite difficult to actually access the basket with carrycot attachment - it's fine with buggy or carseat, though. My only other complaint is that it is a little bit big and bulky ... but you can't have everything!

One big selling point for me was that the carrycot mattress is approved for overnight sleeping. It means that he has his Moses basket upstairs for night sleeps, but I'm happy for him to nap downstairs in the carrycot during the day. And, actually, the carrycot is much bigger and more comfortable-looking than the Moses basket! It makes life a lot easier, not having to be bringing the basket up and down the stairs several times a day.

The UV shades on the buggy and carrycot are handy too for if you're out and about a lot.

One more thing - I'm open to correction here - but as far as I know, you have to remove the buggy seat of the Cameleon to fold it? Whereas you don't have to remove it for the Vista. I'm not using the buggy yet - still on the carrycot - but that's important for me, as I get public transport a lot. Actually I'd imagine it would be important even if I had a car, having to fold it up in the boot each time!

As Milem said, the travel system is one thing that it's probably best not to scrimp on! Best to get something sturdy that will really last.

Yes you are right seat has to come off bugaboo to go into car, vista can fold down with seat but seat has to be in one direction only (can't remember which direction)! If I was going on public transport I would get an umbrella stroller as both are big! The vista is the only carrycot officially approved for overnight sleeping you can even buy a stand for it! The buggy shop told me that bugaboo just hasn't gotten tested for overnight sleeps and supposedly never will! The mattress is an aerosleep mattress. I have a Moses basket anyway! The bugaboo buffalo is probably the ultimate one if you are going on multi terrain with dogs (I have heard that this is going to replace cameleon in future) but for me it was just too big and looked like a tractor! lol vista is cheaper and you are more likely to get this on special offer (when I got my bugaboo a shop was doing complete travel system for vista for €750) but it wouldn't have as a resell value as bugaboo (but you might not bother reselling) and vista can have a "rumble seat" added (although I didn't think it looked comfy)!

Iguana can I ask what brand your buggy is?

It's called a Newbugs.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I have a quinny buzz that I find great when walking the dogs (1 cocker spaniel and 1 bullador - both pullers) it's manoeuvrable enough that I can go walking and push it with little effort but it's also heavy enough that if one of the dogs catches sight of something and bolts then the buggy won't get tipped over if I stumble :o Regardless of which brand you get, my advice would be to get one that has a 'bar' handle like this as opposed to the 'bull horn' type like this, that way you can easily push the buggy one-handed while having the other free to deal with errant pooches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Out and about nipper for us here. We do a lot of walking. It's a three wheeler. Had it out today with our four day old baby in it, great that it goes totally flat for the newbies. Means no need for a bulky pram. Three year old was zipping along beside us on her bike today, she got great use out of it too in her time. Storage-wise, There is a basket underneath it for shopping, and some pockets on the sides for nappies and wipes. The new version comes with carseat clips, so you don't need a travel system with it either.

Tony kealys stock them, and the others. You could go take a test drive and see which one you like best. :D

Ladies thanks so much for all your advice, I now have 3 contenders that I will most definitely 'test drive' :-D

Actually on the subject of buggies, what do you think of getting a second hand one if you spot one in good condition? I've been scoping out some online but it's early enough days for me at 3 months so will have plenty of time for decisions either way.

I got mine secondhand. I paid €100 for the whole thing, buggy, carrycot, raincover, saddlebag, footmuff etc. It was in perfect condition, I just washed the bedding and carrycot mattress again myself to be on the safe side.

Thanks again for all the advice. Myself and the OH have looked into everything and we've settled in the Uppababy Vista - we think it's versatile and durable to suit our needs and we can add to it if our family grows. Then if we need something lighter for travelling, etc we might try and get a second hand Out n About stroller second hand down the line.

Really appreciate all the help folks! Now off to scout out the best bargains, never realised how expensive buggies can be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Sorry, I'm coming to this discussion late, would you consider a baby carrier/sling? Babywearing Ireland has lots of information on different types of slings and local groups in most areas to help pick one that would suit you.

I find it handier than a buggy with the dogs because it's one less thing under my feet, and the dogs don't have to learn how to walk with it like a buggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sorry, I'm coming to this discussion late, would you consider a baby carrier/sling? Babywearing Ireland has lots of information on different types of slings and local groups in most areas to help pick one that would suit you.

I find it handier than a buggy with the dogs because it's one less thing under my feet, and the dogs don't have to learn how to walk with it like a buggy.

My only worry about being out with dogs and a sling is losing control of the dogs (even the most experienced dog walker could lose control if the dog gets too excited etc) and them getting loose or tripping you with a baby strapped to you.

January wrote: »
    My only worry about being out with dogs and a sling is losing control of the dogs (even the most experienced dog walker could lose control if the dog gets too excited etc) and them getting loose or tripping you with a baby strapped to you.

I would agree I wouldn't risk it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

January wrote: »

I used to worry about that too, but I've actually never fallen while walking the dogs, either with or without a baby carrier.

I have better control over the dogs too when I have 2 hands free.

Hi Fraggle, I'd like to get sling for just walking around the place but not for dog walking. I walk them for an hour and a half over the course of a day so I think having a baby in a sling for long periods of time wouldn't be good for baby or my back. Plus I'm sure I'd need to have baby equipment with me?

Another reason is I was walking recently through some grass and I didn't notice a 6 inch hole which my foot went into up to my ankle. Because I had leads in my hands I didn't put my arms up to protect myself so landed right on my front. That gave me quite a fright and I dread to think what would happen if I had a baby in a sling.

Also at some stage the child will be too big for the sling but to small to manage the walk on his or her own, so the dogs will have a adapt to a buggy at some stage anyway.

I plan on getting the buggy before the baby arrives and practicing with the dogs so hopefully they'll take to it. They are good dogs so I'm sure we'll work it out :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one when this one is so recent. We impulse bought a Graco mirage travel system when I was pregnant mainly because it was on special offer at the time :o Our reasoning was that it was such good value (€130 including car seat, footmuff, raincover etc) and we also reckoned that we wouldn't be using the buggy part much as we pretty much drive everywhere.

However, since our son was born, I have discovered how much I enjoy taking him for a walk and we go almost every day now. The problem is that there is very little suspension in the buggy and the poor little man seems to get an awful rattling when in it. We have decided that it would be worth it to splash out on a new decent stroller or second hand very decent stroller :D The only thing is that we plan to start trying for another baby within the next 12 months so I will possibly end up with 2 children under 2. Because of this, I am torn between getting a normal buggy or one that can be converted into a double. I hate the idea of spending a fortune on a single only to have to try and sell it and buy a double if we do have another baby. On the other hand, I don't particularly like the look of the convertible ones (phil and ted, icandy peach etc). Should I buy a nice single buggy or will it turn out to be more hassle in the long run?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one when this one is so recent. We impulse bought a Graco mirage travel system when I was pregnant mainly because it was on special offer at the time :o Our reasoning was that it was such good value (€130 including car seat, footmuff, raincover etc) and we also reckoned that we wouldn't be using the buggy part much as we pretty much drive everywhere.

However, since our son was born, I have discovered how much I enjoy taking him for a walk and we go almost every day now. The problem is that there is very little suspension in the buggy and the poor little man seems to get an awful rattling when in it. We have decided that it would be worth it to splash out on a new decent stroller or second hand very decent stroller :D The only thing is that we plan to start trying for another baby within the next 12 months so I will possibly end up with 2 children under 2. Because of this, I am torn between getting a normal buggy or one that can be converted into a double. I hate the idea of spending a fortune on a single only to have to try and sell it and buy a double if we do have another baby. On the other hand, I don't particularly like the look of the convertible ones (phil and ted, icandy peach etc). Should I buy a nice single buggy or will it turn out to be more hassle in the long run?

Hmmm, if I were you I would just get a stroller eg maclaren quest or zia petite star (I am currently researching these at the mo). You will pay less than €200 they can't be converted though. All the convertible ones are mega bucks. When new baby comes you could get something like the city jogger double I see a lot of them around and they are not as dear as the bugaboo etc
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008I14JO6?vs=1
    It was actually much cheaper than this a couple of weeks ago (£280)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I bought and used the baby jogger city select as a single when I had my eldest, when she was 15 months I had my second daughter and bought the second seat for the buggy then. Absolutely love it. Best decision I ever made. Love it as a single - often take it out as a single now and have the little one in the sling. We also have a petit zia as a single stroller which we also love which we use if we taking one with us only etc or travelling as we fly a lot and bring the baby in the sling.
    Anyway - we felt it was worth investing on our first as we hoped to have our second close by - even if we hadn't been so lucky for this to happen the baby jogger was brilliant as a single.

Advertisement