Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to enjoy your cigar. East Coast

• 09-03-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Here is my dilemma.

I love cigars, I love the taste, the smell, the feel of it in my hand and everything else that comes from the moment you cut it to the point you say good bye to a good companion that has been good to you for the last 30 - 60 minutes.

What I do not like is the attention, people telling you the love the smell but would never smoke one, the person who asks you "for a puff/go", the looks you get from anti smokers.

Realistically the only place I enjoy a smoke is on the golf course, but with current weather patterns that is not always a runner. I have 2 small children who have never seen me smoke a cigarette let alone a cigar (and I have every intention of keeping it that way), so I need to find a place, outside of Dublin, where fellow aficionados come to roost.

I live outside Arklow and don't mind travelling for a get away spot for me time or conversation.

Any suggestuions or recommendations. Or any interest in setting up a smoking club.

Nanook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

A cigar smoking club is what we need where I can show off my churchills without people thinking Im over compensating!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aside from learning some basic Russian phrases such as "I don't speak Russian", I'm not sure. Perhaps ask OldGoat, as if memory serves me correct, he has organized coffee meetups in the past to smoke cigars, and thus may know some cigar friendly pubs that don't have the unwanted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Don't know many places outside of Dublin apart from the golf clubs where you are depending on weather to be kind for your after round smoke. There are 4 or 5 good places to smoke in and around the city centre though. The Vintage Cocktail club in Temple Bar is lovely,midweek to avoid hoards of merrymakers and hen parties. (Actually you can say that about all the good smoking venues - avoid at the weekend)
    My personal favourite is still Harry Byrnes on the Howth Road. A no nonsense/non gimmicky pub with a great smoking area.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Speaking of smoking areas...does anyone know if there is a decent smoking area in The Liquor Rooms in The Clarence Hotel?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Not sure but the morrisson has a great terrace on the ground floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OldGoat wrote: »
    Speaking of smoking areas...does anyone know if there is a decent smoking area in The Liquor Rooms in The Clarence Hotel?
    Was in the Liquor Rooms there a few weeks ago. Had to go outside the front of the entrance door to vape. No shelter for the smokers at all, which is a fairly bad show. You'd think at the prices they were charging for drink there'd be a half decent smoking area! Went to the Gypsy Rose thereafter.

Actually, try the smoking area of the Gypsy Rose? There's a nice smoking area there to the right of the main bar, not so much music, sheltered, decent amount of seats and tables. And they sell nice cookies in the coffee bar there.
    nanook wrote: »
    Not sure but the morrisson has a great terrace on the ground floor.
    Where is The Morrisson? Is it the place that comes up as "Halo" on Google Maps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Advertisement