Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog vomiting white foam

• 09-03-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

She's going to the vet tomorrow but I'm just concerned that she might need more urgent attention. She's a terrier cross, in good form (eating, drinking, running) but puked several times last night and twice so far this morning. Phlegm or foam. She first did this last Sunday (once) but I thought it was just a cough gone too far (vet said that can happen when they have colds) but the frequency last night and today is a bit alarming. Doesn't seem to be a stomach thing as her poos are normal. Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Find a vet that will see her today. It's not worth the risk and the worry of leaving it another 24 hours. Ring your vet, say you'd like her looked at today. If he can't help, ask for a suggestion as to who you should call next. I'm a little surprised your vet put you off until tomorrow at all, given the symptoms.

Best of luck, I know what a worry this an be.

Have you fed her this morning? It might be best not to feed her until she's seen a vet. Give her access to water though. (This is probably something you should ask your vet when you ring.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

When my dog did this it was down to him being hungry at night as his tum was empty. So I fed him a little treat at night and it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

i'm not a vet but my 3 dogs had very similar symptoms to this(Coughing white flem) and it was kennel cough the vet said 1 dog at the park could have infected them a lot of dogs actually got sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

With coughing and phlegm is sounds like it could be kennel cough OP. Usually nothing to be overly alarmed about in a healthy dog, sometimes it might need a course of antibiotics to clear it quickly but a trip to the vet should be done. Also tell the vet on the phone if you suspect it might be KC, as it is highly contagious and to walk into the surgery will put all the other dogs at risk. Most times vets will actually come outside and examine your dog.

Some home treatments can include a teaspoon of manuka honey, or even put the honey into the drinking water. Some cough syrups are also ok to give but check with your vet beforehand because not all of them are suitable for dogs.

Google youtube for kennel cough, there's uploads so you can compare the cough so it can at least put your mind at ease and also to forewarn the vet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is certainly something needs investigating. If she's in distress then she needs to be seen by a vet today but if you think she's comfortable bring her tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

verywell wrote: »
    When my dog did this it was down to him being hungry at night as his tum was empty. So I fed him a little treat at night and it stopped.

It's usually more yellow though if its from an empty stomach because they're throwing up bile?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dee_99

Thanks for all replies. She seems absolutely fine I'm going to hold off and bring her to the vet tomorrow. I'll post the outcome. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dee_99

Hi, brought dog to vet. He checked her over and didn't find anything to concern him. But, see had vomited once yesterday again so he gave some gastric medicine ( I know no more than that). One minor incident overnight so hopefully it will just fade away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dee_99 wrote: »
    Hi, brought dog to vet. He checked her over and didn't find anything to concern him. But, see had vomited once yesterday again so he gave some gastric medicine ( I know no more than that). One minor incident overnight so hopefully it will just fade away.
    Better safe than sorry is my approach. At least now you know if it does happen again its nothing too serious.

Advertisement