Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to evict me...? A fellow tenant?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

For exactly 2 weeks now I have been living in my room in Swords, in a house that I share with 2 other guys.
    I was told that the house was very "clean and quiet", so I have really done my best to comply with that: I am not loud, I clean up after myself, I do my dishes, etc.
    However, problems have developed between me and one other tenant, let's call him John.
    John was the tenant that showed me the room and accepted me as a fellow tenant.
    (The below transcript may come across as embarrassing, but I can't help it.)

The problems started almost right away when I used the shower for the first time after moving in. It was 5.30 in the morning, I wanted to take a shower but found out there were no textiles on the floor of the bathroom, no textiles there whatsoever, except for the towel I brought with me. So the result was I left part of the bathroom floor in a beyond-normal wet state. I take the blame for this, it was an accident though, and it didn't happen again. I could and should have left the bathroom floor less wet.

Then one and a half weeks later, incident number 2. Again I took a shower at 5.30, but I had been whistling in the shower, and later downstairs too. This had waken up John, he told me.
    He sent me an email written like a formal noise complaint, scolding and lecturing me for this and he also turned it into a "respect" issue. I had no respect for him etc. I had not been "fair" on him.
    I am completely baffled by this. I didn't have the slightest idea my whistling could have been heard in his room, I think the water in the shower makes more noise than my whistling.
    Anyway, I told him I won't whistle anymore...

At this point, I already started to wonder what was going on here.
    I also want to point out that between incidents number 1 and 2, I received an email apology from John, stating he "had not been well" and felt "he was taking things out on me" and had "not been nice to me since moving in."
    I replied that I had no hard feelings.

However, after receiving his email scolding me for whistling, I replied to him that I started to dislike his tone and choice of words.

But then today (Sunday) incident number 3 happened.
    It was around 9.30 in the morning, I was in the kitchen (his room is not above the kitchen) and I thought I do a bit of vacuum cleaning in the kitchen.
    I went to get the vacuum cleaner below the stairs, and (thank god) I heard noise (walking) from upstairs, meaning he was awake (the 3rd tenant wasn't at home).
    So I started vacuum cleaning, and just 3 minutes later John walked into the kitchen angrily yelling at me I might as well stop doing it, since he "already cleaned the house" on Friday. Like he was insulted I vacuum cleaned again 2 days later...
    He went on to say I woke him up AGAIN, which is a blatant lie. And he made it clear he thought it was ridiculous to vacuum clean at Sunday 9.30.
    Oh yeah, he used the words "he thought it was not gonna work out with me living here".

So this is what has happened in 2 weeks time. Three incidents.
    Largely minor, I'd say.

The 3rd tenant is not involved in any of this. He is not at home so often, but when I see him, we seem to get along. I have received no complaints from him since moving in.

Believe me when I say I am telling all there is to this story. I mean, I am being honest. Also, I have not been rude to anyone, I have not been arrogant, I have not raised my voice, I have not called anyone names, I have not been violent, I didn't break anyone's belongings, etc.

I am working from 7.00 to 16.00 all week, and when I am home I am in my room or in the kitchen. I am paying my bills, there is absolutely no financial issue behind all of this. I feel this guy is trying to bully me out of the house.

The questions I have are:
    -What should I do?
    -Should I write/talk to the landlord about this?
    -What are my rights?
    -Can a fellow tenant or a landlord evict me for stuff like this?
    -Am I behaving like an easy victim and should I stand up for myself more?

I think this guy John has personal issues and is, after all, taking things out on me, I realise now. He doesn't seem mentally stable either.
    Also, for the 2 weeks I have lived here, he has been at home basically all the time, apparently out sick, but he does claim to have a job.
    I even think it annoys him that I and the 3rd tenant can get along and can actually have a conversation, while John's main interest is watching tv.
    The fact of the matter is this guy has never addressed an issue or even spoken to me in a normal way, but lectures and scolds me every time, and then he is the one who accuses me of having no respect?

I don't want to move out, I think it's absurd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Sorry OP, it would bother me to be woken at 5:30am by someone whistling in the shower and at 9:30am on a Sunday by someone vacuuming. Also I wouldn't like to be stepping on a floor still wet from someone else showering. I'm not surprised by his reaction and I think it was fair enough to send an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

Kick his ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Move, you'll all be happier

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Matthijs

davo10 wrote: »
    Sorry OP, it would bother me to be woken at 5:30am by someone whistling in the shower and at 9:30am on a Sunday by someone vacuuming. Also I wouldn't like to be stepping on a floor still wet from someone else showering. I'm not surprised by his reaction and I think it was fair enough to send an email.

He was awake before I started vacuuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Matthijs wrote: »

So? I often wander half asleep to the bathroom on some mornings with the intention of going back to bed to sleep. Hoovering that early on a Sunday morning is not acceptable.

• Advertisement

It's 9:30am on a Sunday, I'm used to waking up at 7am for work, on a Sunday I wake up at 7am but I often drift back to sleep until around 10am. Could the vacuuming not be done at midday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Sounds like John is suffering from stress or depression. Its not your problem. Look for a room in a house with mentally stable occupants :)

percy212 wrote: »
    Sounds like John is suffering from stress or depression. Its not your problem. Look for a room in a house with mentally stable occupants :)

Or someone who likes being woken at 5:30am and won't mind stepping in someone else's shower water. Right now OP is John's problem because his actions could be viewed as being inconsiderate.

You cant be a princess if you live in a shared house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

Whistling at 530 am? Hoovering at 930 on a Sunday morning? That would annoy a lot of people.

• Advertisement

I would be thrilled to hear the Hoover at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

True. But you do all have to get along.

OP, while John accepted you as a fellow tenant, is he the owner occupier, or a relative of the owner? It might well be just easier to move.

On the issues of being woken early, to me it wouldn't be the end of the world. 9.30 on a sunday morning isn't exactly 7am on a Sunday, and going by the OPs account, John hasn't been working of late, so Sunday wouldn't be any different from a weekday in regards early rising. The biggest annoyance to me would be the wet floor but if it was a one off incident then it shouldn't be an annoyance.

Percy have you ever shared a house with other guys? An annoying housemate who doesn't show consideration for others can drive everyone nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Princess???

Just plan on moving out soon enough. You are not gonna be happy living there and he is definitely not gonna be happy with you living there. You two will obviously not get along after these incidents

I live alone. I whistle and hoover my way through the night.

True. But you do all have to get along.

OP, while John accepted you as a fellow tenant, is he the owner occupier, or a relative of the owner? It might well be just easier to move.

On the issues of being woken early, to me it wouldn't be the end of the world. 9.30 on a sunday morning isn't exactly 7am on a Sunday, and going by the OPs account, John hasn't been working of late, so Sunday wouldn't be any different from a weekday in regards early rising. The biggest annoyance to me would be the wet floor but if it was a one off incident then it shouldn't be an annoyance.

No, John is not the owner and not a relative of the owner either.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

What is "Johns" relationship to Landlord, is he landlords agent, oldest tenant, or on a powertrip,

I wouldn't be whistling at 5.30am but don't see what the problem with hoovering at 9.30am is? Maybe you need house cleaning roster with detailed hoovering times :pac:

Written noise complaints of this nature make him sound like a Diva...

Consult House rules/contract, which should be provided to you, so you know where you stand.

Tell other housemate about emails and ask about previous tenants and dealings with John.

Sounds like a ****ty house to live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

If these are the issues you're aware of, I bet there's a hundred more bugging your housemate!

Making noise at 5.30am isn't acceptable, could you shower at night? Hoovering at 9.30am on a Sunday isn't reasonable.

It's not him, it's you.

I think he is the oldest tenant in terms of time having lived here.
    I am not sure if there are any house rules, but I could ask.

I am not sure if there are any house rules, but I could ask.

At the very least you now know three of them.

• Advertisement

If these are the issues you're aware of, I bet there's a hundred more bugging your housemate!
    Yeah, speculating is the way to go.
    Making noise at 5.30am isn't acceptable, could you shower at night?
    No, I can't. I am very sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Hi OP

I think your tenant is over reacting. Of course whistling noise is irritating but vacuuming at 09;30 in the morning isnt a problem....its a reasonable time to be up and about.

He has admitted he wqs taking things out on you. If it continues id complain to LL for harrassment.

Yeah, speculating is the way to go.

No, I can't. I am very sorry.

Fair enough, but then you need to creep around being really quiet if you must shower at that time.

Never leave anything for your other housemates to clean up.

Assume all noise before midday on a Sunday is not acceptable.

Sharing a house is HARD.

Making noise at 5.30am isn't acceptable, could you shower at night?

What's wrong with showering at 5.30am? OP is getting ready to go to work.

If a tenant was doing night shifts and gets in at 6am to go to sleep, another tenant having a shower at 11am is equally annoying.

A tenant who pays bills should be allowed to have shower at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Does the other tenant drink much ? the hoovering is probably annoying his hangover :) He should be happy that the flat is being kept clean as it will save him having to hoover for a few days. If he lived right beside the airport he would be even woke up more from jet engine noise. He's lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you want to carry on in this manner then I strongly advise you to rent an apartment alone. Nobody is going to be happy to accept the kind of things that you have described, and if you think that sort of thing is acceptable then perhaps you are not suited to house sharing.

What's wrong with showering at 5.30am? OP is getting ready to go to work.

If a tenant was doing night shifts and gets in at 6am to go to sleep, another tenant having a shower at 11am is equally annoying.

A tenant who pays bills should be allowed to have shower at any time.

OP can shower whenever he likes, but if he's going to do it when other tenants are asleep, leave the bathroom in mess, wonder why the other tenants haven't left "textiles" for him and WHISTLE then he's got to understand they're not going to be pleased.

No he doesn't drink much. But then again I don't think he is in great shape both mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I wonder if it would be better to move on? Doesn't seam like a nice place to live if you're always on edge worrying about what the other guy(s) thinks.

If you can find a place where the others also get up fairly early you might be on to a winner.

I wouldn't fancy someone hoovering at 9:30 on a weekend myself if I was asleep. but as the others have said you'd expect some tolerence on both sides at the start as you get used to each other. especially as he was already awake :)

• Advertisement

Again I took a shower at 5.30, but I had been whistling in the shower, and later downstairs too.

What were you whistling OP?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement