Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to evict me...? A fellow tenant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Matthijs

OP can shower whenever he likes, but if he's going to do it when other tenants are asleep, leave the bathroom in mess, wonder why the other tenants haven't left "textiles" for him and WHISTLE then he's got to understand they're not going to be pleased.

After I mentioned the lack of "textiles" in the bathroom, and offered to buy some for common use, the other tenant was very quick to tell me we did actually have them, in fact he put them on the floor the same day.
    Strange, isn't it?

But maybe you are used to bathroom floors without "textiles"?
    I can recommend using "textiles", they do a great job on bathroom floors.

What were you whistling OP?

I think it was Animals by Garrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuFUtL8zUAk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Matthijs wrote: »
    After I mentioned the lack of "textiles" in the bathroom, and offered to buy some for common use, the other tenant was very quick to tell me we did actually have them, in fact he put them on the floor the same day.
    Strange, isn't it?

But maybe you are used to bathroom floors without "textiles"?
    I can recommend using "textiles", they do a great job on bathroom floors.

I use "textiles" on my bathroom floor, but I usually get a "textile" and put it on the floor before I get in the shower. If there was a "textile" crisis, I would use the towel I had just used to dry the floor, thereby negating the need to thoroughly piss off my housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

It's too early to make any calls about moving out. Its only been 2 weeks. You apologised about the whistling and you thought he was up when you went to hoover. That's fair enough (still would advise though that hearing someone upstairs doesn't mean they're up for the day - could be a toilet run!!)

John does sound unstable. No matter what noise you were making the way he reacted was unacceptable. To be honest, just stay out of his way. Ignore him as much as you can. That said you shouldn't have to pander to him or put up with those reactions. Just be more conscious that he might be a little sensitive and have some ongoing issues.

but definitely give it more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Taking a shower at 5.30am? Leaving a tiled floor wet? Vacuum cleaning at 9.30am on a Sunday?!
    And he's the one that's in the wrong here?!
    Err...no.
    Sorry brah, change up your shower time habits and get a rota that shows the when and time for cleaning to be done that's agreed by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Look, the OP is only in the house 2 weeks. OK, he's done a couple of things that seem to grate with the oldest serving tenant who seems to be on a bit of a power trip. There should always be a bit of give and take with house shares while people get used to others sleeping habits/shower times etc. Sounds like John would like a particular brand of tenant, one who will adhere to a 'Sheldon Cooper Roommate agreement.' which is a bit much.

Having said all that, I have shared houses with people who were on shift work in hospitals, and I've been an owner occupier with tenants that worked in pubs and came in and showered at 2am. So maybe I'm slightly more tolerant than most. OP, I still think you may end up walking on eggshells around this guy so it may be wise to look for somewhere else.

highly1111 wrote: »
    It's too early to make any calls about moving out. Its only been 2 weeks. You apologised about the whistling and you thought he was up when you went to hoover. That's fair enough (still would advise though that hearing someone upstairs doesn't mean they're up for the day - could be a toilet run!!)

John does sound unstable. No matter what noise you were making the way he reacted was unacceptable. To be honest, just stay out of his way. Ignore him as much as you can. That said you shouldn't have to pander to him or put up with those reactions. Just be more conscious that he might be a little sensitive and have some ongoing issues.

but definitely give it more time.

Agree.
    Leaving the bathroom floor wet wasn't right, for which I said I was sorry to both tenants. I also apologised to John for the whistling.
    Both the wet bathroom floor and the whistling happened once. It's not like a repeating pattern.

This isn't the first house I am sharing. Not in Ireland, not in other countries either.
    I have whistled in bathrooms before and I might even have vacuumed on Sunday mornings, just never got this reaction before.

Panthro wrote: »
    Taking a shower at 5.30am?
    Sorry brah, change up your shower time habits

Are you just trolling here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think if you're showeing at 5:30am, you should try to be quiet. Many people don't get up that early and it's a bit unfair.

That would really annoy me. Whistling can really carry too unlike the noise of a shower running.

No. I'm suggesting you take a shower a little later in the morning or alternatively the night before.
    And ease up on the troll calling.

edit: and whistling at 5.30am? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

Not the end of the world if you need to shower at 530. I think it's the whistling while you do it is the issue. I think you acknowledged this though.

The whistling was never louder than the shower and water itself.
    So he might as well have been woken up by that, and then heard my whistling.
    But hey, no more whistling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn't have a problem with a housemate having a shower at 5:30, but both the whistling and hoovering would really annoy me, because they're not necessary. They demonstrate a lack of awareness and consideration for the other housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Panthro wrote: »
    Taking a shower at 5.30am? Leaving a tiled floor wet? Vacuum cleaning at 9.30am on a Sunday?!
    And he's the one that's in the wrong here?!
    Err...no.

9:30 is a bit early on a Sunday.

But civilized people shower when they get up in the morning. If the OP starts work early, he's gonna be showering early, and should not be changing that. But he does need to find a house where he's a better fit with the other tenants in terms of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭jescart

Textiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nothing wrong with showering at 5.30. If you're in a houseshare then you need to appreciate that different people work different hours.

Whistling however, is just plain inconsiderate at that time. Hovering at 9.30 on a Sunday is, again, inconsiderate.

In saying that, the housemate could have handled it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

You cant do anything about showering, the rest you take responsibility for. Don't hover on Sunday mornings, you can by right, but don't anyway. Its just inconsiderate.
    John has only reacted when appropriate to do so. Ya he was a bit douchy about it, but he might have his own issues right now. You want to stay there so let it go.

A house of clean, responsible lads can hard to come by. If you can work this out it will probably be a good place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

jescart wrote: »
    Textiles.

We would appreciate if you could post constructive comments in this forum.

Morri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think if you're showeing at 5:30am, you should try to be quiet. Many people don't get up that early and it's a bit unfair.

That would really annoy me. Whistling can really carry too unlike the noise of a shower running.

The man has to shower before going to work, it would not be good for this OP to be concious of walking on egg-shells constantly. He needs to shower, so those other tenants should understand that the guy is trying to get ready for a days work, so now, he shouldn't have to be extra quiet, or walk on egg-shells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

zenno wrote: »
    The man has to shower before going to work, it would not be good for this OP to be concious of walking on egg-shells constantly. He needs to shower, so those other tenants should understand that the guy is trying to get ready for a days work, so now, he shouldn't have to be extra quiet, or walk on egg-shells.

Shower before bed time
    Showering at 5.30 is not appreciated by people who are trying to sleep

• Advertisement

No, he really should. Or he's not suited to living in shared accommodation.

No, he really should. Or he's not suited to living in shared accommodation.

You people have been pampered too much if you can't handle a little water hitting the shower-floor. None of that stuff would even wake me never mind listening to water spill, and a happy whistle sound. Folk are really going over the top in my opinion. Even the hoover going at 6 in the morning wouldn't bother me, it never has or did in the past.

Lazy is what I say, get up early and get a job you sleepy-heads.

You people have been pampered too much if you can't handle a little water hitting the shower-floor. None of that stuff would even wake me never mind listening to water spill, and a happy whistle sound. Folk are really going over the top in my opinion. Even the hoover going at 6 in the morning wouldn't bother me, it never has or did in the past.

Lazy is what I say, get up early and get a job you sleepy-heads.

If I was woken at 5.30am with a happy whistle I'd probably drown him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

OP is obviously a morning person, the housemate is not.

This will not end well.

If the housemate was taking showers at 2am and wandering around whistling and hoovering in the kitchen would the OP be impressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Showering doesn't require whistling or singing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

Tails142 wrote: »
    OP is obviously a morning person, the housemate is not.

This will not end well.

If the housemate was taking showers at 2am and wandering around whistling and hoovering in the kitchen would the OP be impressed?

That's a good point. Op, how would you feel if your house mate was doing this at 2 in the morning when you were asleep?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Showering doesn't require whistling or singing!

Just thank yourself very lucky, because if I was sharing an apartment with you, and when I get up at 4:30AM I do be singing hot chocolate loudly in the shower. It could be much worse, and I wouldn't even hear your crying for help of this terrible sound because I would have the ear-phones on all morning till I leave in great form to work after my amazing singing.

emo72 wrote: »
    That's a good point. Op, how would you feel if your house mate was doing this at 2 in the morning when you were asleep?

You call this a good point? Ludicrous, not even gonna reply.

You call this a good point? Ludicrous, not even gonna reply.

It is though. Say your housemate is not normally up until say 8am. You showering at 5.30am is waking him 2.5 hours early, and clearly he's not too happy about it (understandably IMO).

The question put to you is, if the roles were reversed, and you were the one being woken by the housemate 2.5 hours before you were due to get up (say, 3am) would you be OK with it?

• Advertisement

I admit I made 2 mistakes, maybe 3, not sure the vacuuming was a mistake, since he was already awake and because the kitchen is not anywhere near his room. And I said SORRY to him for my mistakes.
    Oh, I will make sure I won't engage in such domestic atrocities anymore.

But as long as I "behave", pay the rent and my share of the bills in time, f*ck him. No-one is gonna evict me over 2 or 3 petty incidents like these. And if that guy really wants to start a war with me, he can get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement