Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to evict me...? A fellow tenant?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Matthijs

Panthro wrote: »
    It is though. Say your housemate is not normally up until say 8am. You showering at 5.30am is waking him 2.5 hours early, and clearly he's not too happy about it (understandably IMO).

The question put to you is, if the roles were reversed, and you were the one being woken by the housemate 2.5 hours before you were due to get up (say, 3am) would you be OK with it?

What IS your point?
    This has happened once!! I once woke him up with my whistling, yes.
    And of course I wouldn't like to be woken up at 3 am, duh.
    Not really rocket science, or is it?

This thread is about 2 or 3 incidents (or accidents, whatever), it's not about a pattern.

Stop talking to me as if I have a habit of waking people up with my showering and other misbehaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Matthijs wrote: »

But as long as I "behave", pay the rent and my share of the bills in time, f*ck him. No-one is gonna evict me over 2 or 3 petty incidents like these. And if that guy really wants to start a war with me, he can get it.

Pack your bags buddy, he sent you an email, he didn't stand over you with a knife. Now you look like the unstable one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What IS your point?
    This has happened once!! I once woke him up with my whistling, yes.
    And of course I wouldn't like to be woken up at 3 am, duh.

This thread is about 2 or 3 incidents (or accidents, whatever), it's not about a pattern.

Stop talking to me as if I have a habit of waking people up with my showering and other misbehaving.

It's two or three incidents in only two weeks. That IS a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What IS your point?
    You answered this question for me.
    of course I wouldn't like to be woken up at 3 am, duh.

Your housemate doesn't like being woken by you (be it a once off or whatever), and neither would you if the situation was reversed.
    That's my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I admit I made 2 mistakes, maybe 3, not sure the vacuuming was a mistake, since he was already awake and because the kitchen is not anywhere near his room. And I said SORRY to him for my mistakes.
    Oh, I will make sure I won't engage in such domestic atrocities anymore.

But as long as I "behave", pay the rent and my share of the bills in time, f*ck him. No-one is gonna evict me over 2 or 3 petty incidents like these. And if that guy really wants to start a war with me, he can get it.

That's the spirit my man, don't put egg-shells on your feet in the morning instead of socks. Whistle away and be happy until exit time. Best of luck to ye man, because you have done nothing wrong. You pay your way for rent and all the rest, you can whistle away in good humour all you want.

Don't mind the winder-uppers here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

You call this a good point? Ludicrous, not even gonna reply.

In not having a go at you, although you are getting a bit annoyed now. The easy way to see this is to put yourself in someone else's shoes. Those things on there own are not bad behaviour, it's just the context. 530 in the morning have a shower, but try be as quiet as possible. A little bit of consideration, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

..... And if that guy really wants to start a war with me, he can get it.

There are no winners in war; both sides lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Showering at 5.30am is fine, as is hoovering at 9.30am on a weekday, at the weekends maybe you need to show a bit of empathy towards
    your house mate. Both of you are at fault as he should have told you he had done the cleaning, but would it be hard, to ask if it was ok to do these things before you did them. Even ask his opinion etc..

You owe him an apology, maybe ask to draw a line under these issues, then make more of an effort to communicate next time.

Unfortunately, most folk will get on each-others back when sharing in a small apartment. No matter what you do, some folk will just start up like an old Volkswagen engine. Strive to save, and to invest in your own private dwelling, It will be your rules for yourself, and you can do what you like when you like with no-one on your back weighing you down.

The minor things that the OP done are just that, minor, and should be disregarded. He seems like a considerate enough guy. The other tenant in my opinion according to the text here seems to have a strange attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

John sounds like he should live alone. The OP did nothing wrong. If I were you OP I would take my time finding a new share where the other tenants have less sensitivities. I would look for an en suite if possible. Bathroom sharing is fraught with problems. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

percy212 wrote: »
    John sounds like he should live alone. The OP did nothing wrong. If I were you OP I would take my time finding a new share where the other tenants have less sensitivities.

I'd like to see this put to the test, following on from Percy's advice, when you go to your next house viewing ask the person showing you the house if he/she minds if you wake them at 5:30am when you are showering and is it ok if you do the vacuuming every Sunday morning at 9:30am. I suspect you will have a long wait to find someone who wouldn't be sensitive about these practices.

You could always move in with Percy if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

davo10 wrote: »
    I'd like to see this put to the test, following on from Percy's advice, when you go to your next house viewing ask the person showing you the house if he/she minds if you wake them at 5:30am when you are showering and is it ok if you do the vacuuming every Sunday morning at 9:30am. I suspect you will have a long wait to find someone who wouldn't be sensitive about these practices.

You could always move in with Percy if all else fails.

Good idea. And the whistling. Don't forget to tell them about the whistling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

I'm sorry but my flatmate gets up and showers a couple of hours after I go to bed, it doesn't bother me in the slightest and the bathroom is right next door. We all do things that piss off our flatmates, but unless they are really disrespectful or dangerous I don't see the problem. I think this John guy is just used to living with people who are never around.

I just don't understand how someone having a shower is really all that noisy. I would rarely wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

John is on course for becoming an internet hero and he doesn't even know it.
    Sickened.

Don't mind john, he's still asleep listening to good whistling music...

Boldberry wrote: »

I just don't understand how someone having a shower is really all that noisy. I would rarely wake up.

But it doesn't appear to be the shower per se, according to my interpretation of events. To be honest a shower is fine. But I would be of the school whereby whistling is akin to nails on a chalkboard. I wouldn't have a problem with the time of the shower, everyone needs to wash and the OP just happens to start work earlier than everyone else. It happens. But by whistling, he's effectively saying FU to the other people in the house. He's up and they'll have to deal with it. It's pretty disrespectful.

And if that guy really wants to start a war with me, he can get it.

Are you serious? Is the house that fantastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right, this thread is going nowhere and tbh I don't see the OP taking on any of the constructive advice given and I don't know what to say about the rest of the comments.

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement