Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alaskan malamute howling

• 09-03-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My mal is 13weeks and can't howl, i got him 5 weeks ago with no cert

Were we got him told us they would send me his ikc cert.

We seen the mother and her papers but only a picture off the farther

Could it be he is a mix if he can't howl? He dose a lot off barking, And his tall dose not curl very well it sits up right and only curls at the tip

Here is a picture off him at 12 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'd be more concerned about the type of breeder you got your pup from if you didn't get papers etc.
    Were the parents health tested?

Sounds like a back yard breeder to me and why oh why do people keep falling for this type of situation, ie papers not given at the time, when all the info is out there warning buyers about this kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Why do you think he can't howl? He's only 13 weeks, give him time.

Hard to tell from that photo if he's a mal, do you have any of him standing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Shanekk22 wrote: »
    My mal is 13weeks and can't howl, i got him 5 weeks ago with no cert

Were we got him told us they would send me his ikc cert.

We seen the mother and her papers but only a picture off the farther

Could it be he is a mix if he can't howl? He dose a lot off barking, And his tall dose not curl very well it sits up right and only curls at the tip

Here is a picture off him at 12 weeks

Don't hold your breath for getting IKC papers. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. I'd put money on it that your pup was never registered.

Some pups only find their bark when they're older too. Plenty of time for him to howl.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

malamutes tend to be very vocal and woo woo alot, our guy only howls when he gets lonely if he is left in the run on his own or if a bitch is in heat near by.

it can take sometime for papers to come through, ours were also sent through after we took the pup home so I hope they arrive soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper is really only finding his voice now at almost 12mths. I've only heard him 'howl' once, which was in the middle of the night, a lone solitary howl. However he is starting to woo woo more. I've got a great clip of him from last week giving some check to a bucket & mop. I'll upload it to youtibe and post it here.

Oh and Cooper's tail didn't properly sit up and curl towards his spine until 6mths. I remember being paranoid about that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Yous do realise that the dog in the picture is of the, err.. "stuffed" variety right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

mel.b thats a pretty scary bucket there :D Cooper is a very brave boy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

This thread had made me depressed that I don't have one of these balls of fur.

The description of "woo woo" is exactly what it said on the tin instead of the owl like "who who" I had playing in my head every time I read it :|

Miike wrote: »
    This thread had made me depressed that I don't have one of these balls of fur.

The description of "woo woo" is exactly what it said on the tin instead of the owl like "who who" I had playing in my head every time I read it :|

There are loads of them in rescue looking for loving homes :)

One of the saddest things happened here last week, I currently have a foster husky, my lot did a group howl, which is a normal occurrence here, so 9 huskies and 1 malamute howling. The poor foster girl didn't seem to understand what was happening, and didn't know what to do. I'm hoping that she will join in soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My malamute didn't howl for ages after getting him and when he did it was syrons and wind chimes that set him off. And the ice-cream van ALL summer. As for the papers I can't see them arriving when I bought Coby he had his vet card all the vaccinations filled in and they read his chip for me to see with the contraption used. I was given was given all there and then and I got to see him at 4 weeks old then collect him at 8 weeks

• Advertisement

..Does this make it easier?

muid.png

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

..Does this make it easier?

muid.png

:confused::confused::confused:

What are you on about? That's in the corner of the photo. There's a dog in the photo as well.

andreac wrote: »
    What are you on about? That's in the corner of the photo. There's a dog in the photo as well.

Oh god hahahah,

When I opened the pic on my computer it was 2448 x 3264 and I could only see the top right corner, never zoomed out as I thought it was full size!
    Thought the OP was trolling! :D

Anyway it's perfectly fine if you're malamute doesn't howl. It depends a lot on their temperament too. My husky isn't a huge fan either, and only does so in response to whistles and wind chimes. I know of other huskies who never stop too!

It's actually funny because he's after teaching my jack russel & german shepherd to howl, now whenever he howls the other two copy him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Thought the OP was trolling! :D

And I thought YOU were trolling :D It was a close call there TOWK

anniehoo wrote: »
    And I thought YOU were trolling :D It was a close call there TOWK

Ah but the OP had 3 posts, seemed suspicious to be fair!

Also I thought muddy was referring to the toy in the top corner too :P
    muddypaws wrote: »
    Hard to tell from that photo if he's a mal, do you have any of him standing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Nope. Just you. 3 of our regulars gave the OP the benefit of the doubt :pac: and muddypaws wanted to see him standing as the leg length is very different in these breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shanekk22

Yes I have some more pictures

Also I thought muddy was referring to the toy in the top corner too :P

Please don't drag me into this :eek:

OP, he looks like he has a mally head, but his body is quite lean, I mean his build, not that he necessarily looks underfed, mally's are quite heavy boned. However, it may just be that he is having a growth spurt, and is currently going through an 'up' stage, so looks leaner than he actually is.

What dry food are you using?

he's lovely btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shanekk22

I have him on royal canin was told it's the best from the pet shop just going by what they told me

Advertisement