Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug power meter

Options
  • 09-03-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi
    I recon my fridge is consuming a ton of power. I was thinking of getting a power meter with I can plus devices into. Any recommendations?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You don't need a power meter you need a thermometer and a clock. Firstly check when the fridge comes on and for how long in one hour. It should be on for maybe 3-4 times per hour for 10 minutes or so. Check the label on the back which will give you the watts - maybe 175 w. Then multiply the time it is on by the watts to give you the watts per hour consumed. Then multiply by 60 days to give your the amount of your bill which is for the fridge. 1000 watts = 1 unit. The more times you open the door the more times it will run.
    Now get a fridge thermometer and check the temperature inside. It should be 5-6c. It may be too low thus trying to get to a temperature it will never reach.
    Do the same with your freezer which is more likely to be a problem as they are often set too low so constantly on using 250w.

Advertisement