Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread Baking stone

• 09-03-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Anyone know where I would be able to get a good Baking stone? One for Pizza's and bread (well the bread ones are thicker so probably that one tbh).
    I'm looking to see if there is a place in Dublin or that delivers to Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hi Guys,

Anyone know where I would be able to get a good Baking stone? One for Pizza's and bread (well the bread ones are thicker so probably that one tbh).
    I'm looking to see if there is a place in Dublin or that delivers to Dublin

I bought both of mine in TK Max for €10 each, see them there reasonably regualrly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Not sure why you titled your thread "break baking stone", but you can get them in many places. I got mine in Anvil's in Bray. But that aside, just a wee tip to avoid it breaking on you: don't put a cold stone into a hot oven, don't put a hot stone into water to "wash" it, and don't splash cold water onto a hot stone, and you'll get years out of it. Also, don't use detergent to clean it. In the worst case, if there is caked on stuff on it, use an abrasive sponge with WATER ONLY, after the stone has completely cooled down.

Happy baking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Not sure why you titled your thread "break baking stone", but you can get them in many places. I got mine in Anvil's in Bray. But that aside, just a wee tip to avoid it breaking on you: don't put a cold stone into a hot oven, don't put a hot stone into water to "wash" it, and don't splash cold water onto a hot stone, and you'll get years out of it. Also, don't use detergent to clean it. In the worst case, if there is caked on stuff on it, use an abrasive sponge with WATER ONLY, after the stone has completely cooled down.

Happy baking!

Well that was a typo :)

The one in Anvil's, was it one of those small round pizza ones with the mental frame/handle? If so its not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a larger one and ideally thick (1-1.5 inches) as I was told that the thicker ones are better for bread, the smaller thinner ones are good for pizzas it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Ah I see. No worries. No, the one in Anvil was rectangular with rounded corners, but yes, it's on a wire frame. It certainly isn't as thick as 1 or even 1 1/2 inches though so it sounds like that one isn't the one you're looking for then.

Having said that, though, I do a lot of sourdough bread baking and the stone seems to do the job quite nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

tesco sell €15 granite counter savers(about same size as an oven rack), if you scrape off the rubber pads from the underneath they can be used as a baking stone, have mine a few years now, a bit heavy to lug in and out of the oven so leave it in most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

a bit heavy to lug in and out of the oven so leave it in most of the time.

Thermal mass in an oven is a good thing! Especially for bread baking and meat roasting!

Advertisement