Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Clay soil - digging subsoil?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I want to grow potatoes in my new garden. Digging reveals a layer of about 6 to 8 inches of heavy clay soil, then a thin crusty red layer and then a light grey clay layer. I want to improve the soil and will be adding compost and leaf mold and finally manure.

My questions -
    Should I dig up some of the layers under the top clay soil and work this also? (Maybe it is best left alone and concentrate of adding material to the top clay layer.)
    What is the red layer - some kind of iron?
    What depth of material for potato growth should I be targeting

Thanks for taking time to help me with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I wouldn't bring the subsoil to the surface. How much land are you planning to cultivate? Sounds like raised beds might be of benefit to you. Just work with the topsoil you have and continue to amend it with co post, manure, leaf mold, green manure etc. some people find it handy to just throw organic material on to the surface and build it up that way. Throw weeds and grass clippings on too. It's all good. Conditions the soil and raises the fertility.

You should have plenty depth there for spuds. I usually put mine relatively deep at 8 inches. Just earth up by adding grass clippings, cardboard, straw, whatever is at hand, on top of the soil once the haulms break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bogfire

Thanks guys, appreciate your inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

redser7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bring the subsoil to the surface. How much land are you planning to cultivate? Sounds like raised beds might be of benefit to you. Just work with the topsoil you have and continue to amend it with co post, manure, leaf mold, green manure etc. some people find it handy to just throw organic material on to the surface and build it up that way. Throw weeds and grass clippings on too. It's all good. Conditions the soil and raises the fertility.

I'd be a bit careful with weeds. Some like Bind weed take a lot of heat to kill them.
    Annuals are deffo ok, but watch some of the Perennial ones

Very true. Might be an idea to keep a bucket of water and throw them in there. Weeds can be full of nutrients. Let them fester in there a bit and then chuck them on, or else make a tea out of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement