Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway girl

Options
  • 09-03-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

who owns copyright on the galway girl music? steve earle wrote lyrics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

WayneScott wrote: »
    who owns copyright on the galway girl music? steve earle wrote lyrics

Whoever his publisher is. I think its probably E-Squared Records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Squared_Records

PS: If you're thinking about covering it, ie releasing a physical CD of it, IMRO/MCPS can arrange a licence for you. Roughly its less than €100 for 1,000 cds.

If you are digitally releasing it via iTunes, stick to iTunes Europe, as they get permission from the original copyright owners, and deduct their royalty from sales. If you sell worldwide, you need to put a licence in advance from a company like Limelight, or the Harry Fox Agency.

The above organisations contact the original copyright agencies on your behalf with no need for you to contact the copyright owners/publishers directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Kettleson wrote: »
    PS: If you're thinking about covering it, ie releasing a physical CD of it, IMRO/MCPS can arrange a licence for you. Roughly its less than €100 for 1,000 cds.

If you are digitally releasing it via iTunes, stick to iTunes Europe, as they get permission from the original copyright owners, and deduct their royalty from sales. If you sell worldwide, you need to put a licence in advance from a company like Limelight, or the Harry Fox Agency.

The above organisations contact the original copyright agencies on your behalf with no need for you to contact the copyright owners/publishers directly.
    thanks from what i read steve earls wrote the lyrics but the musi is in combination with sharon shannon. Is it traditional air non copyright?
    PS: If you're thinking about covering it
    :Dnot me i would not have a clue, I am researching for a friend

WayneScott wrote: »
    thanks from what i read steve earls wrote the lyrics but the musi is in combination with sharon shannon. Is it traditional air non copyright?
    :Dnot me i would not have a clue, I am researching for a friend

Hi Wayne,

I'm guessing here, but I would say that any potential connection to a traditional air has nothing to do with it. Did the specific Galway Girl "air" exist before?

I think you are referring to songs that are out of copyright and in the public domain? eg: Danny Boy. I very much doubt that any aspect of GG is in the public domain.

I would suggest that the full copyright for Galway Girl is owned by Steve Earle and his publishers.

Again guessing, Sharon Shannon only played on the sound recording of the song, which does not necessarily give her any copyright ownership, not unless Steve cut her in on that.

You can PM me if you have a specific scenario that you need clarity on.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭WayneScott

Kettleson wrote: »
    Hi Wayne,

I'm guessing here, but I would say that any potential connection to a traditional air has nothing to do with it. Did the specific Galway Girl "air" exist before?

I think you are referring to songs that are out of copyright and in the public domain? eg: Danny Boy. I very much doubt that any aspect of GG is in the public domain.

I would suggest that the full copyright for Galway Girl is owned by Steve Earle and his publishers.

Again guessing, Sharon Shannon only played on the sound recording of the song, which does not necessarily give her any copyright ownership, not unless Steve cut her in on that.

You can PM me if you have a specific scenario that you need clarity on.
    I'm guessing here, but I would say that any potential connection to a traditional air has nothing to do with it
    probably right but one search i did said he wrote the lyrics i wondered why it specified lyrics

• Advertisement
Advertisement