Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying one of those wooden kit houses from Germany

• 09-03-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,922 ✭✭✭✭

Over recent years I have seen a few programmes, both on Irish and UK TV, where people building a new house have had one designed and prefabricated in Germany, then shipped over and put together in a few days.

It all looks very efficient, as you'd expect, but I was wondering how much going down this route would actually cost? Would it be cheaper or more expensive than employing local builders and putting a house up the traditional way?

Curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Over recent years I have seen a few programmes, both on Irish and UK TV, where people building a new house have had one designed and prefabricated in Germany, then shipped over and put together in a few days.

It all looks very efficient, as you'd expect, but I was wondering how much going down this route would actually cost? Would it be cheaper or more expensive than employing local builders and putting a house up the traditional way?

Curious.

About twice the price of what you'd get going the standard route, but obviously the level of finish is immense compared to what you'd get here also. I suppose with a similar standard of finish here it might be as low as 50% extra.

At the end of the day it's about what you want more, and with the kit houses, you will have to mould what you want around what they provide. They have their style and ethos which they stick to and that's what your buying into moreso than anything else.

Also they won't suit every site, or surroundings so that's a massive consideration to factor in. The house might be fantastic but how it sits on the site might not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I was at EcoBuild in London all last week, and the famous HufHaus was there.

Costs they were giving out were; GBP£2500/m2 and for one client, £60k for 'administration and translation services'.

Bananas.

Fabulous - but bananas !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,922 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there any point having ground breaking design if its beyond the reach of most normal house builders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there any point having ground breaking design if its beyond the reach of most normal house builders?

Tbh, it's not that ground-breaking. Quality is the single biggest advantage I see - however the Irish market as a whole, isn't prepared to spring for it. People forget, Ireland is almost unique in the 'self-build' approach to build. Simply put, you wouldn't be allowed to do it in many places.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

galwaytt wrote: »
    I was at EcoBuild in London all last week, and the famous HufHaus was there.

Costs they were giving out were; GBP£2500/m2 and for one client, £60k for 'administration and translation services'.

Bananas.

Fabulous - but bananas !!

Try <snip> prices not to bad and did work all over Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement