Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Election 2014

Options
  • 09-03-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?
    This thread is intended to raise the issues that are important to you and yours, so local candidates can take notice.
    Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions posted in this thread.

When that time comes we aim to use separate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific. This thread is for questions/concerns only.

There is a pre-existing thread in the Galway City forum for questions and candidates focusing more on the city area and surrounding hinterland. I would imagine that will get more traffic as it progresses, but may give a good idea of questions you might want to raise with your local candidates.

Comments

Greenway's, for or against. If "against" they better have a damn good reason and the WRC is not counted as a good reason........ for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Can they do anything to help get the Eircom Exchange in my area enabled for some kind of broadband :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    Can they do anything to help get the Eircom Exchange in my area enabled for some kind of broadband :mad:

If only......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

Can someone list the candidates for Galway west and east elections
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Seats
    Galway City : 18
    Galway City Central: 6
    Galway City East: 6
    Galway City West: 6
    Galway County : 39
    Athenry-Oranmore : 7
    Ballinasloe : 6
    Conamara : 9
    Loughrea : 8
    Tuam : 9

Independent
    Galway City Central : Mike Cubbard, Mike Geraghty, Jimmy Horan,Cormac Ó Corcoráin
    Galway City East : Noel Larkin,Terry O’Flaherty, Declan McDonnell
    Galway City West : Catherine Connolly, Donal Lyons
    Galway County
    Athenry-Oranmore : Jim Cuddy, James Charity, David Collins*
    Ballinasloe : Tim Broderick
    Conamara : Seosamh Ó Cuaig, Tom Welby, Ronan Garvey
    Loughrea : Michael “Stroke” Fahy, Pat Hynes, Adrian Feeney
    Tuam : Karey McHugh, Michael Fitzmaurice, Teresa Killeen-Kelly, Sean Canney, Shaun Cunniffe

Sinn Fein
    Galway City Central : Ann Marley
    Galway City East : Mairéad Farrell
    Galway City West : Cathal Ó Conchúir
    Galway County
    Athenry-Oranmore : Gabe Cronnelly
    Ballinasloe : Dermot Connolly
    Conamara : Tom Healy, Mairin Mhic Lochlainn
    Loughrea : Eoghan MacCormick
    Tuam : Maeve O’Brien

FG
    Galway City Central : Padraig Conneely, Frank Fahy
    Galway City East : John Walsh, Margo Kelly, John Rabbitte
    Galway City West : Michelle Murphy, Pearce Flannery
    Galway County
    Athenry-Oranmore : Peter Feeney, Cllr Liam Carroll, Josette Farrell, Frank Kearney
    Ballinasloe : Michael Finnerty, Kevin Ryan, Aidan Donohue
    Conamara : Eileen Mannion, Seosamh O’Laoi, Niamh Byrne, Mary McHugh
    Loughrea : Jimmy McClearn, Michael Maher, Bridie Willers, Joe Byrne
    Tuam : Tom McHugh, Peter Roche, Peter Keaveney, Larry Bane

Lab
    Galway City Central : Colette Connolly, Billy Cameron, John McDonagh
    Galway City East : Nuala Nolan, Monica Coughlan
    Galway City West : Niall McNelis
    Galway County
    Athenry-Oranmore : Margaret Dean, Clement Shevlin
    Ballinasloe : Johnny Walsh
    Conamara : Joe Curran
    Loughrea : Dessie O’Brien
    Tuam

People Before Profit
    Galway City Central : Kiram Emrich
    Galway City East
    Galway City West
    Galway County
    Athenry-Oranmore
    Ballinasloe
    Conamara
    Loughrea
    Tuam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »

There's a crowd based in Loughrea, lighthouse or lightwave, think I should know seeing as I get my broadband from them :pac: They do a broadband service via radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DecQ

The restoration of the Palace Fields Road and the Mill should be a hot topic in Tuam.....they'll probably never be returned to anything like their former state but those councillors who chose to ignore the submissions put forward by locals and voted to extinguish public right of way could find their chickens coming home to roost

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

How can I find out which part of the county I am voting in?
    I am in Kilcolgan but I am not sure if it is in Oranmore or Loughrae?
    Can't seem to find anything definitive on this as the Galway.ie site seems useless for finding this out.

I would imagine you are in Oranmore/Athenry. You are right on the border between the 2 electoral areas

http://www.galway.ie/en/about/RegisterofElectors/ElectoralAreasCountyGalway2009-Map/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Any reason you left out Fianna Fail in the list? :-)

• Advertisement

Any reason you left out Fianna Fail in the list? :-)

Never heard of them, but I think having a word like "Fail" in the party name it tells me all I need to know about them.

Wouldn't you agree?

There's a crowd based in Loughrea, lighthouse or lightwave, think I should know seeing as I get my broadband from them :pac: They do a broadband service via radio.

Thanks for that. We are getting it through satellite currently and its disappointing at best. Didn't realise it can be done via RF too. You recommend I take it? lightnet is their name it seems, but thats shortened from lighthouse networks as you say.
    Does weather have any effect on connection?
    I must drop into them so, only up the road. I might even check if they have any vacancies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

Ill be voting Sinn Fein ..only party that speaks the truth

Ill be voting Sinn Fein ..only party that speaks the truth

I don't know if less lies necessarily qualifies as the truth, but it is more than the rest can offer.

We're there any new entrants since the list was posted?

To be honest I haven't the foggiest about many of the candidates, which I am taking as a good sign as Irish politics desperately needs new blood. So I've decided to give primacy on my paper to previously unelected candidates. Also teachers, publicans, auctioneers and former gaa players are out. I realize this will greatly reduced my options but so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

Why is it so hard to find decent information about the candidates online? I know one of them called to our house when we were at work (and he's done his homework so he'd have known we were out to work????!) and that was all I heard. No leaflets in the door about who we're to vote for it's a joke! There's all these ads about making sure you're on the register to vote and when you do there's nothing about who you're actually meant to vote for - no wonder we're in the state we're in! I have found some information online but alot of the candidates are omitted from certain sites..... frustrating...and they'll complain not enough going out to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tadhgoco

Agreed.

Admittedly I do rely on the internet too much for information, but I am stumped as as to find further information about the candidates. Looking at photos of peoples faces stuck on lampposts isn't democracy at its finest.

Anyone any advice as to where a chap might find information on candidates in the Loughrea electoral area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

In this weeks Galway independent there is a little profile on each candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

For the Loughrea area the following candidates are running.
    I'll include all parties...
    13 candidates, 8 Seats are available

FG
    Michael 'Mogie' Maher
    Jimmy Mclearn
    Bridie Willers
    Joe Byrne

FF
    Shane Donnellan
    Gerry Finnerty
    Anne Rabbitte

Labour
    Dessie O'Brien

Independent
    Pat Hynes
    Michael 'Stroke' Fahy
    James Regan
    Adrian Feeney

Sinn Fein
    Eoghan McCormack

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

tadhgoco wrote: »
    Agreed.

Admittedly I do rely on the internet too much for information, but I am stumped as as to find further information about the candidates. Looking at photos of peoples faces stuck on lampposts isn't democracy at its finest.

Anyone any advice as to where a chap might find information on candidates in the Loughrea electoral area?

Hi Tadhg,
    After much searching this is the about the height of it but ALOT of candidates are actually missing from the list!
    https://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/index-of-electionsparty-literature/leaflets-from-2014-local-election-candidates/

The only guy I want to vote for is in the oranmore/athenry area which I'm not in!

Like there should be a history/ resume of these people as well as promises and background....eg: one of the loughrea candidates (there's a clue in his yahoo name) was up in court for fraud charges a few years back among other things but you won't see that information anywhere of course.

I found a list of candidates in the Galway Independent website

My vote is in Galway City West so in-keeping with my decision to not vote for FF, Teachers, GAA types, Publicans or Auctioneers my list is limited to:

Marc Anderson - 119 Leargan, Western Distributor Road, Knocknacarra - Engineer - Non-Party
    Catherine Connolly - 9 Grattan Terrace, Claddagh - Barrister/Councillor - Non-Party
    Pearce Flannery - Hawthorn Place, Clybaun Road - Self-employed businessman - Fine Gael
    Tommy Holohan - 10 Ashleigh Grove, Knocknacarra - Painter & Decorator - Anti-Austerity Alliance
    Donal Lyons - 23 Knocknacarra Park - Post Office Official - Non-Party
    Niall McNelis - 14 White Oaks, Clybaun Road, Knocknacarra - Retailer - Labour
    Michelle Murphy - 27 Briarhill Business Park, Briarhill - Business Manager - Fine Gael

Donal Lyons & Niall McNelis have had their fun so will only get a vote if other I run out of candidates.
    Catherine Connolly is unhinged and against progress or any sort, she resides in some parallel universe where we don't need sewage treatment plants, bypasses or other infrastructure.

So that leaves me with:
    Marc Anderson - Engineer - Non-Party
    Pearce Flannery - Self-employed businessman - Fine Gael
    Tommy Holohan - Painter & Decorator - Anti-Austerity Alliance
    Michelle Murphy - Business Manager - Fine Gael

Candidates:

Athenry-Oranmore

Jim Cuddy - Lydican, Carnmore, Oranmore - Public Representative - Non-Party

James Charity - Tonegurrane, Corrandulla - Barrister - Non-Party

Michael Ryan - Killoughter, Castlegar - Construction, Retired - Non-Party

Madge Dean - 1 Cullairbaun, Athenry - Parliamentary Assistant - Labour

Frank Kearney - Beechmount House, Lackagh, Turloughmore - Funeral Director - Fine Gael

Liam Carroll - Frenchfort, Oranmore - Company Director/Public Representative - Fine Gael

Josette Farrell - ‘Currach Ruadh’, Cregboy, Claregalway - Horticulturist - Fine Gael

Peter Feeney - Ballydavid, Athenry - Public Representative/Farmer - Fine Gael

Clement J. Shevlin - 8 Church View, Claregalway - Marketing Manager - Labour

David Collins - Waterview, Turloughmore - Community Development Manager - Non-Party

Roderick O'Driscoll, 18 Cloonarkin Drive, Oranmore - Unemployed - Non-Party

Suzanne O'Keeffe - 12 Gort Mhaoilir, Athenry - Entrepreneur - Fís Nua

Martina Kinane - Stradbally North, Clarinbridge - Community Development Worker - Fianna Fáil

Gabe Cronnelly - Cloonkeen, Athenry - Home Maker - Sinn Féin

Ballinasloe

Tim Broderick - Kilconnell, Ballinasloe - Publican - Non-Party

Johnny Walsh - 59 St Joseph's Place, Ballinasloe - Public Representative, Hackney Driver - Labour

Aidan Donohue - Gortfadda, Woodlawn, Ballinasloe - Account Manager - Fine Gael

Michael Finnerty - Tobergrellan, Ballinasloe - Employee, Portiuncula Hospital - Fine Gael

Kevin Ryan - Moylough, Ballinasloe - Part Time Farmer/Councillor - Fine Gael

Dermot Connolly - Glennavaddogue, Aughrim, Ballinasloe -Farmer, Public Representative - Sinn Féin

Loughrea

Michael Fahy - Caherduff, Ardrahan - Full-time Public Representative - Non-Party

James Regan - Earlspark, Loughrea - Stonemason - Non-Party

Dessie O'Brien - Kilrickle, Loughrea - Publican - The Labour Party

Bridie Willers - Grannagh, Ardrahan - Full Time Public Representative - Fine Gael

Michael 'Mogie' Maher - Clostoken, Loughrea - Full Time Public Representative - Fine Gael

Jimmy McClearn - Tynagh Road, Killimor, Ballinasloe - Electrician/Public Representative - Fine Gael

Joe Byrne - Highfield House, Cloonassee, Kinvara - Construction Management Consultant - Fine Gael

Adrian Feeney - 16 Bolands Court, Gort - Community Development Worker- Non-Party

Pat Hynes - Gort Road, Loughrea - County Councillor - Non-Party

Eoghan MacCormaic - Baile Uí Mhaolaín, Cill Chríost, Baile Locha Riach - Development Officer - Sinn Féin

Conamara

Thomas Welby - Cregg, Oughterard - Public Representative & Shopkeeper - Non-Party

Liam Allen - 28 Cuirt Cregg Estate, Clifden - Unemployed - Non-Party

Mary McHugh - Ballard, Bearna - Housewife - Fine Gael

Seosamh O Laoí - Baile an tSagairt, An Spidéal - Public Representative - Fine Gael

Eileen Mannion - Sky Road, Clifden - Administrator - Fine Gael

Niamh Byrne - Clare, Oughterard - Teacher - Fine Gael

Tomás Ó Curraoin - Na Fothraí Maola Thiar, Bearna – Retired-– Republican Sinn Féin

Chris Walsh - Turloughbeg, Rosmuc, Conamara - Shopkeeper - Non-Party

Joe Curran - 20 Woodhaven, Merlin Park - Development Officer - Labour

Dáithí Ó Cualáin - Cór na Rón Láir, Indreabhán - Nurse - Non-Party

Pádraic 'A Táillúra' Ó Conghaile - Ros a'Mhíl, Baile na hAbhann - Builder - Non-Party

Seosamh Ó Cualáin - Gleann Trasna, Rosmuc - Farmer - Non-Party

Tom Healy - Railway View, Clifden - Part-Time Office Worker - Sinn Féin

Máirín Mhic Lochlainn - Baile na mBrabhach, Indreabhán - Former archivist - Sinn Féin

Ronan Garvey - Derrynasliggaun, Leenane - Small Business - Non-Party

Tuam

Thomas TP Niland - Bracklagh, Tuam - Retail & Sports Services - Non-Party

Michael Fitzmaurice - Strangeforth, Williamstown - Agri Contractor - Non-Party

Karey McHugh - 9 Fairgreen Heights, Tuam - Quality Assurance (Manufacturing) - Non-Party

Shaun Cunniffe - Ballygaddy Road, Tuam - Businessperson - Non-Party

Larry Bane - 3 The Oaks, Ballygaddy Road, Tuam - Public Representative - Fine Gael

Peter Roche - Moyne, Abbeyknockmoy, Tuam - Full Time Public Representative - Fine Gael

Peter Keaveney - Bushtown, Glenamaddy - Farmer/Agricultural Contractor - Fine Gael

Tom McHugh - Kilcloghans, Tuam - Businessman/Public Representative - Fine Gael

Teresa Killeen-Kelly - 64 Parkmore Estate, Dublin Road, Tuam - FAS Supervisor - Non-Party

Maeve O'Brien - Monard, Turloughmore - Client Care Manager - Sinn Féin

Seán Canney - Claretuam, Tuam - Lecturer - Non-Party

Galway City West

Marc Anderson - 119 Leargan, Western Distributor Road, Knocknacarra - Engineer - Non-Party

Cathal Ó Conchuir - Baile Ard, Bearna - Teacher - Sinn Féin

Catherine Connolly - 9 Grattan Terrace, Claddagh - Barrister/Councillor - Non-Party

Pearce Flannery - Hawthorn Place, Clybaun Road - Self-employed businessman - Fine Gael

Tommy Holohan - 10 Ashleigh Grove, Knocknacarra - Painter & Decorator - Anti-Austerity Alliance

Donal Lyons - 23 Knocknacarra Park - Post Office Official - Non-Party

Niall McNelis - 14 White Oaks, Clybaun Road, Knocknacarra - Retailer - Labour

Michelle Murphy - 27 Briarhill Business Park, Briarhill - Business Manager - Fine Gael

Tommy Roddy - 78 Lower Salthill - Teacher - Non-Party

Galway City East

Conor Burke - Crestwood, Renville, Oranmore - Carpenter - Anti-Austerity Alliance

Monica Coughlan - 22 Monivea Park, Ballybane - Senior Library Assistant - Labour

Mairead Farrell - 25 Tone Avenue, Mervue - Unemployed - Sinn Féin

Margo Kelly - 85 Lurgan Park, Murrough, Renmore - Homemaker - Fine Gael

Noel Larkin - 24 Wellpark Grove - Managing Director - Non-Party

Declan McDonnell - 4 Tara Grove, Monivea Road - City Councillor - Non-Party

Nuala Nolan - 24 Bowling Green, Apartment 3 - Public Representative - Labour

Terry O'Flaherty - 11 Seagrove, Ballyloughane Road, Renmore - Councillor - Non-Party

John Rabbitte - Grange House, 15 Woodhaven, Merlin Park - Lecturer - Fine Gael

John Walsh - 114 Bohermore - Medical company employee - Fine Gael

Galway City Central

Seán Byrne - 5 Elm Park Road, Greenfields - Carpark Attendant - Anti-Austerity Alliance

Billy Cameron - 12 Newcastle Lower - Postmaster - Labour

Padraig Conneely - 13 Dun Daingean, Dangan Upper - Public Representative - Fine Gael

Colette Connolly - 12 McDara Road, Shantalla - Teacher - Labour

Cormac Ó Corcorain - 5 Clifton Crescent, Newcastle - Sole Trader - Non-Party

Mike Cubbard - 21 Camillaun Park, Newcastle - Insurance Agent - Non-Party

Kiran Emrich - 76 The Green, College Road - Catering Assistant - People Before Profit Alliance

Frank Fahy - Monument Road, Menlo - Taxi Driver/Public Representative - Fine Gael

Mike Geraghty - 24 Upper Newcastle - Self-Employed - Non-Party

Jimmy Horan - 3 Cluanin, Inishannagh Park, Newcastle - Salesman - Non-Party

Anna Marley - 2 Castán, Doughiska - Constituency Affairs Worker - Sinn Féin

John McDonagh - 2 O'Flaherty Road, Shantalla - Seafood Retail Worker - Labour

Seamus Sheridan - 104 Rosan Glas, Rahoon - Cheesemonger - Green Party

Sources:
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/20140507/news/70-candidates-vying-for-39-seats-on-county-council-S37479.html

http://www.galwayindependent.com/20140507/news/38-candidates-vying-for-18-seats-on-city-council-S37475.html

• Advertisement

So that leaves me with:
    Marc Anderson - Engineer - Non-Party
    Pearce Flannery - Self-employed businessman - Fine Gael
    Tommy Holohan - Painter & Decorator - Anti-Austerity Alliance
    Michelle Murphy - Business Manager - Fine Gael

Hi Galwaymagpie,

Candidate Marc Anderson here. Echoing the other folks comments in this thread about the difficulty to find real information or background on the candidates beyond a poster with their face & name, I thought I might fill in mine for you since I'm on your shortlist.

My focus is on job growth, and here is where I differ the most from the other candidates, being that I'm an American looking to attract North American Companies. I have a background which gives me direct understanding the bidding process that start-ups and established companies go through with cities when scouting for a new site.

I have a press release with more information, background, education, etc:
    drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwxgfx6BLswmUHh0dnY3TFR1blU/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any questions on issues, feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

You seem to have taken a number of FF candidates from the Connamara list (e.g. Noel Thomas, Hosty etc). Accident?

Hi Marc,

Thank you for the response. You are kind of candidate I am looking for, you'll be getting a vote on my card.
    You seem to have taken a number of FF candidates from the Connamara list (e.g. Noel Thomas, Hosty etc). Accident?

Someone was on about Fianna Fail previously, and as I said then: I think having a word like "Fail" in the party name it tells me all I need to know about them.

Wouldn't you agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Hi Marc,

Thank you for the response. You are kind of candidate I am looking for, you'll be getting a vote on my card.

Someone was on about Fianna Fail previously, and as I said then: I think having a word like "Fail" in the party name it tells me all I need to know about them.

Wouldn't you agree?

As much as I dislike FF, no I would not agree because I live in a democracy. It is not your job to prune the list of candidates.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Mod Note.

I'm going to remind everyone of the site-wide rule of attacking the post and not the poster.

I've deleted a post to prevent a slanging match.

Any questions, PM me, but do not respond on thread.

If the politicians got into a slanging match no one would understand them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

What does Republican Sinn Féin stand for and why should someone in Connemara vote for one of its members? Do you think that the peace process in the North over the past several years has seen an improvement in the lives of people who live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Connemara
    Liam Allen - 28 Cuirt Cregg Estate, Clifden - Unemployed - Non-Party

Chris Walsh - Turloughbeg, Rosmuc, Conamara - Shopkeeper - Non-Party

Joe Curran - 20 Woodhaven, Merlin Park - Development Officer - Labour

Dáithí Ó Cualáin - Cór na Rón Láir, Indreabhán - Nurse - Non-Party

Pádraic 'A Táillúra' Ó Conghaile - Ros a'Mhíl, Baile na hAbhann - Builder - Non-Party

Seosamh Ó Cualáin - Gleann Trasna, Rosmuc - Farmer - Non-Party

Ronan Garvey - Derrynasliggaun, Leenane - Small Business - Non-Party

Anyone know anything about these candidates?

Was gonna give Welby my No.1 but he pretty much guaranteed so I've eliminated the FG, SF and FF people who I'm not voting for but know nothing about them and not much online I can find..?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

DecQ wrote: »
    The restoration of the Palace Fields Road and the Mill should be a hot topic in Tuam.....they'll probably never be returned to anything like their former state but those councillors who chose to ignore the submissions put forward by locals and voted to extinguish public right of way could find their chickens coming home to roost

Well said DecQ.
    I've had dealings with all of our County Cllrs in the Tuam LEA (ie Local Electoral Areas) and I can honestly state the following:

Tom McHugh (FG) and Mary Hoade (FF) did all they could to prevent a resolution to the Palace Road campaign. They lied to our faces and rejected the 199 submissions against planning permission in favour of the 1 for permission, coincidently submitted by the developer. Such a betrayal is totally unheard of in local government. Hoade is from the developer's homeplace, another coincidence I suppose. McHugh complained at Council meetings that the campaigners were sending him abusive and threatening emails and texts but when he was challenged to produce them he couldn't.

Sean Canney (Ind) was the first or second Cllr to push for the dodgy development. He then got a lucrative nixer in charge of the renovation of the developer's supermarket. Another coincidence I suppose. Then he had the cheek to declare that he couldn't vote on the planning application because it would be a conflict of interest, this was after he'd already done the damage of course.

Eamonn Kitt (FF) was Mayor of Tuam when the Palace Road campaigners sought the support of the Town Council to restore the road. He delayed time and time again calling a meeting to allow the campaigners to put their case to the Town Council. Then he was supposed to host a meeting between the Town Council, the local area County Councillors and the campaigners but only two County Cllrs out of the seven turned up. He told the meeting that he'd invited all seven and had gone to great trouble to do so. It was immediately found out from the two present that he hadn't contacted the County Cllrs at all. The campaigners and the two County Cllrs present then walked out of the meeting in disgust. I could write a whole lot more about his betrayal of Tuam but I think what I've written so far should be more than enough to sicken any decent person who expects honesty from their Mayor.

Those four candidates are now known locally as the Ruin Tuam party, meaning if you want to Ruin Tuam then they're the yokes to vote for.

Michael Connolly (FF) is the chairman of the seven local area councillors committee. If he voted with the people then he could have used his casting vote to deny planning permission for the unlawful monstrosity of a car park in the ancient centre of Tuam. Instead he shafted the people and supported the multi-millionaire developer and his cronies in County Buildings. He's not running in Tuam this time, instead he's seeking election in Ballinasloe. He did the damage in Tuam and then hadn't the guts to put himself before the people. He's no loss. God help the Ballinasloe voters if they give a vote to this yoke. If you meet him on the hustings, maybe you should ask him if his Son recently got a job with Galway County Council, despite the embargo on recruitment that's been in place for the past three years. Sure its probably only another coincidence, isn't that right Michael?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

wprathead wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about these candidates?

Was gonna give Welby my No.1 but he pretty much guaranteed so I've eliminated the FG, SF and FF people who I'm not voting for but know nothing about them and not much online I can find..?

I'm not in the Connemara area so the only one I know of is Ronan Garvey due to his business in Galway. He owns Sleepzone hostels. Has kept them going even through the slump and seems to have small businesses at the forefront of his mind, which is something I like. Website: http://www.ronangarvey.ie/

I know nothing of the others. I have not checked for websites of them.

Advertisement