Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy - Glasgow

Options
  • 09-03-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, i am just looking for some advice if possible! I am 27 and have been considering going back to college... Occupational therapy is something i have always considered and would love to pursue it... however i do worry about returning to education full time, i worry about finances am i making the right choice etc... My friend who is currently living in glasgow suggested me studying over there... the change sounds good but i have no real info on what it would be like and if i would be entitled to any grants or allowences....

Any advice would be great...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 finno10

Hi, I was in your position a few years ago, I had been thinking of going back to Uni and studying OT and found it difficult to get information on the courses available, fees etc....Have a look at the older posts set up about studying OT as a mature student, I found them really useful.
    If you are interested in OT, try and volunteer with some OT departments and shadow wherever possible. It took me a long time to get garda clearance etc but i guess it has to be done...
    I'm now in my final few months of a MSc in OT course in London (LSBU) and all the hard work is absolutely worth it! I'm not sure about the courses in Glasgow regarding fees but I remember that QMU in Edinburgh was quite expensive & the Masters component was extra....The course I'm on is covered by the NHS, which means no fees for us (Irish/EU).
    It might be also be worth considering the "style" of course you want to study, i.e. Academic v Problem based learning...as this varies depending on which Uni you choose. Problem based learning has the advantage of very few exams, with more continuous coursework throughout - which I prefer!

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bellsers

Just do it........I am 30 and I am currently looking into completing an OT course, hopefully an MSc so I only have to do 2 years as opposed to 3 or 4! I wish I had done it sooner, but I like you worried about finances etc! There are a number of courses that are cover by the NHS (as finno10 said above) look on the UK national OT website, they have all the courses listed on that! Keep in mind I think the degree is 4 years in Scotland (& Ireland) compare to 3 everywhere else, including NI!

Best of luck......and remember you can always work part time, I have a friend who went back to do a 4 year PT course, she is in 2nd year now and is working away at weekends, it will be tough but so worth it in the end!

Advertisement