Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance for Landlord

Options
  • 09-03-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

We had a discussion last night and nobody was sure, so I thought I ask here and perhaps somebody can help:

A landlord needs home insurance to cover for rebuilding the house and his own content. To my understanding the tenants content is not covered and he needs his own insurance for that.

But what if the tenant is running a small business from the rented house, e.g. as a barber?

Is the house covered in case of an accident or fire?

Thanks for all help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I'd imagine if there is a business being run from the premises you need an alternative to standard house insurance. Public liability would be your biggest concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Meteor67 wrote: »
    Hi All,

We had a discussion last night and nobody was sure, so I thought I ask here and perhaps somebody can help:

A landlord needs home insurance to cover for rebuilding the house and his own content. To my understanding the tenants content is not covered and he needs his own insurance for that.

But what if the tenant is running a small business from the rented house, e.g. as a barber?

Thanks for all help.

If the running of a business caused the damage then you would have no cover under a standard household policy as its generally a warranty that the property is for private rented accommodation use and that would form the basis of the risk profile. It would also be against planning and i would think the general rented property lease conditions so i would think the tenant would end up with a hefty law suit in that senario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Meteor67 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for all help.

If the running of a business caused the damage then you would have no cover under a standard household policy as its generally a warranty that the property is for private rented accommodation use and that would form the basis of the risk profile. It would also be against planning and i would think the general rented property lease conditions so i would think the tenant would end up with a hefty law suit in that senario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Thought I was ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Started renting a house yesterday and the landlord said it's incredibly important we get an insurance policy on the house asap.
    I was of the understanding the landlord would have a policy on the house and her contents and that we only need a policy to cover our own personal effects if we wanted to?

Second question is, is she allowed to call up unannounced? Does she not have to give notice before she calls up?

And thirdly, she has to register as a landlord right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thought I was ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Started renting a house yesterday and the landlord said it's incredibly important we get an insurance policy on the house asap.
    I was of the understanding the landlord would have a policy on the house and her contents and that we only need a policy to cover our own personal effects if we wanted to?

Second question is, is she allowed to call up unannounced? Does she not have to give notice before she calls up?

And thirdly, she has to register as a landlord right?

Yes, you only have to insure your own possessions.

No, she must arrange a mutually suitable time for inspections of the property.

Yes, she must register the tenancy with the PRTB.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the answers.

One last thing, I've discovered it's actually in the lease that she can call up unannounced. Does our rights as a tenant supercede that our does the lease stand forth?

Thanks for the answers.

One last thing, I've discovered it's actually in the lease that she can call up unannounced. Does our rights as a tenant supercede that our does the lease stand forth?

I presume this is in fact a lease and not where you are staying in the landlord's home.

Your lease cannot forfeit your legal rights to quiet enjoyment of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Thanks for the answers.

You have discovered this, after you signed the lease?

Excellent Thank you very much for the response.
    I know very silly to sign anything without reading it, no excuses.

The reason I ask.
    4 friends viewed the house, agreed on it and the day before signing the lease one of them dropped out.
    I took his position and signed the lease without having seen the house.
    I knew I was getting the box room but it hadn't been made clear as to how small the box room was. Moved in yesterday and realised none of my belongings will fit in the box room so we all agreed I would take the large office downstairs as my bedroom.

I text the landlord this morning about the central heating and mentioned I was in the office and we were using the box room as storage.

She wasn't happy.

So I'm just trying to get ammunition for when she calls over and demands I move into the box room.

I've told her I've taken pictures of the office and all furniture will be returned to its position before we move out.

Keith, the office may not be up to code to be suitable as a bedroom. As such, the landlord may have an obligation to not have you live in there.

• Advertisement

Keith, the office may not be up to code to be suitable as a bedroom. As such, the landlord may have an obligation to not have you live in there.

Ah right ok.
    Would it be down to fire safety?

Another thing, kitchen to hall door closes over but no jamb in the door prevents it from staying closed and 3 of the bedroom doors don't close over as the doors are to big for the frame.

If she was the raise the point of the office not being fit for use as a bedroom would mentioning the above be a valid point?

I hugely appreciate the time taken but one last thing, is there a cooling off period with leases? Can we walk away within a certain time and still get our deposit and first months rent back?

Ah right ok.
    Would it be down to fire safety?

Another thing, kitchen to hall door closes over but no jamb in the door prevents it from staying closed and 3 of the bedroom doors don't close over as the doors are to big for the frame.

If she was the raise the point of the office not being fit for use as a bedroom would mentioning the above be a valid point?

I hugely appreciate the time taken but one last thing, is there a cooling off period with leases? Can we walk away within a certain time and still get our deposit and first months rent back?

Fire safety and insurance, mainly. I'm not fully aware of the situation in the legislation.

You could raise the doors not closing but I don't see how it relates to using the office as a bedroom.

No there is no cooling off period. However since you're in the initial 6 months of the tenancy, there is a 28 day notice period. This is to protect both the tenant and the landlord.

Edit: a shorter notice period may be agreed between yourself and the landlord at the time of termination. If you are intending to leave and your flatmates are staying, you must assign the lease to another person to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

No there is no cooling off period. However since you're in the initial 6 months of the tenancy, there is a 28 day notice period. This is to protect both the tenant and the landlord.

Assuming it is not a fixed term tenancy- how likely is that?

fash wrote: »
    Assuming it is not a fixed term tenancy- how likely is that?

I don't understand. Why are you assuming it is not a fixed term tenancy and how likely is what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

I don't understand. Why are you assuming it is not a fixed term tenancy and how likely is what?
    I'm not assuming there is no fixed tenancy- you are when you state that "one can leave with 28 days notice in first 6 months".

I didn't think there was.

It's a one year lease. I'll try talk her round to my point of view later on so.
    She seems a very reasonable lady and hopefully she'll understand that at 6foot2 I don't fit in single beds.
    I already said I'd clean up the garden and cut back the old dead plants yesterday and she was delighted.

fash wrote: »
    I'm not assuming there is no fixed tenancy- you are when you state that "one can leave with 28 days notice in first 6 months".

Apologies I get you now. Yes, under a fixed term tenancy, he may be liable for reletting charges and rent due or at worst losing the entire security deposit. However I did mention about getting the lease assigned to someone.

Most landlords will want the least hassle possible so if a tenant proposes to assign the lease, that saves them the bother of reletting.

Advertisement