Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor wifi in some rooms

Options
  • 09-03-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have broadband with 02 landline.( it is not as fast as id like).
    It came with a huawei wireless router. The wifi reception is good in computer room and in the garden, however i live in a sprawling old farmhouse with metre thick dry stone walls and have no wifi in kitchen or living rooms. I am not too good with computers (can just about send attachments with e mail and use excel programmes ).
    is there a simple easy solution to extending my range. Any reconfiguring or fluting about with ethernet cables is beyond me.
    All help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you could get something like this
    which just plugs into the power socket in the wall and gives you wifi in that area
    I don't know if that model is any good but I think most computer shops sell the TP-Link ones
    here's an article explaining how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If you are looking to extend wifi only then you could use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00AHXXJVW/

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Best solution is definitely a homeplug (power adapter) with wifi. There are many options out there, personally I'd suggest sticking with TP-LINK ones, since I know they work well with older fuse boxes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Homeplugs are great. Parents place has some sort of WiFi signal issues. No idea why, but believe something either they or the neighbours have running severely impacts the wireless frequency at times. It simply goes from near full signal to total signal loss at random. Homeplugs solved this issue :) .
    You can also get pass through ones which you can plug another device through the powerline, handy if no free plug sockets are available

Nick

Advertisement