Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What action can I take next?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm just trying to find out what my rights here are.

I had three 2 euro vouchers from a manufacturer. I checked the wording on them before I went in to Dunnes Stores yesterday and nowhere on the voucher did it say each one was redeemable against one product at a time only. That is often the case with vouchers, but in this case they were given to me in compensation of faulty goods.

I bought two items from that manufacturer, one was 2 euro and the other 6 euro, and I wanted to use three of the 2 euro vouchers to pay for these two things.

From the start it was obvious it was going to go badly. My boyfriend handed her the vouchers and she first of all stared hard at them, then looked down at the products and questioned if they were from the same manufacturer. I told her they were and to just look at the back of the product. She didn't even check that.

Then she said that I could only use one voucher per item. I told her that nowhere on the voucher was that written or did it say 'redeemable against one item only', or any such thing, as is often on vouchers.
    These were different kind of vouchers, given to me due to faulty goods.
    She would not accept that, and when I asked her to ask her manager, she said no manager was available. She then went over to the security guard to ask him and came back saying that he had said the same thing as her.
    I said in fairness I had asked her to ask a manager not another member of staff.
    She then proceeded to read from the back of the voucher , even adding in a word to make it sound how she wanted it to. Unbelievable.

All the while she smiled apologetically at customers in the queue implying indirectly I was in the wrong. There were other tills open and one of the customers had only stayed on to see the drama so all she had to do was ask them to go to the next till and politely say that she was dealing with a customer.

What can I do here? It was a horrible way to be treated by her and I don't accept it, it's not okay to treat people like that, and I was a customer.

I can contact the manager and not shop there again. Is there anything else? Any independent body overseeing this type of thing?
    I'd like to see her learn that this is not acceptable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

pog it wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm just trying to find out what my rights here are.

I had three 2 euro vouchers from a manufacturer. I checked the wording on them before I went in to Dunnes Stores yesterday and nowhere on the voucher did it say each one was redeemable against one product at a time only. That is often the case with vouchers, but in this case they were given to me in compensation of faulty goods.

Given by whom? Was this anything to do with Dunnes in the first place?
    From the start it was obvious it was going to go badly. My boyfriend handed her the vouchers and she first of all stared hard at them, then looked down at the products and questioned if they were from the same manufacturer. I told her they were and to just look at the back of the product. She didn't even check that.

I'm bit confused by this, sounds as if the cashier had a question, you answered it and took your word for it.
    Then she said that I could only use one voucher per item. I told her that nowhere on the voucher was that written or did it say 'redeemable against one item only', or any such thing, as is often on vouchers.
    These were different kind of vouchers, given to me due to faulty goods.

See above how was this Dunnes problem to start with?
    She would not accept that, and when I asked her to ask her manager, she said no manager was available. She then went over to the security guard to ask him and came back saying that he had said the same thing as her.
    I said in fairness I had asked her to ask a manager not another member of staff.
    She then proceeded to read from the back of the voucher , even adding in a word to make it sound how she wanted it to. Unbelievable.

Poor service, but this is Dunnes we're talking about, not exactly know for their service.
    All the while she smiled apologetically at customers in the queue implying indirectly I was in the wrong. There were other tills open and one of the customers had only stayed on to see the drama so all she had to do was ask them to go to the next till and politely say that she was dealing with a customer.

What can I do here? It was a horrible way to be treated by her and I don't accept it, it's not okay to treat people like that, and I was a customer.

Customer are strange, strange beasts. If the cashier had asked them to move you can guarantee there would have been someone objecting, creating another issue.
    I can contact the manager and not shop there again. Is there anything else? Any independent body overseeing this type of thing?
    I'd like to see her learn that this is not acceptable.

Perhaps you could clarify the points above, one reading of this is that Dunnes where simply unhelpful in giving you compensation from someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Have you been watching those American shows like extreme cheapskate and extreme couponing. In Ireland the general rule is one voucher/coupon per item unless specifically stated otherwise. If you had brought 3 of the €2 items you would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Bepolite wrote: »
    Given by whom? Was this anything to do with Dunnes in the first place?

See above how was this Dunnes problem to start with?

Perhaps you could clarify the points above, one reading of this is that Dunnes where simply unhelpful in giving you compensation from someone else.

Dunnes Stores sell goods from this (large) manufacturer and make profits from same.
    They enter into a contract with the manufacturer to honour such vouchers as part of their bigger contract.

The voucher worth is then redeemed by Dunnes Stores later. That's just how it works.

There is no excuse for shabby treatment of customers.
    Firstly she stared at the vouchers, she questioned the products when she could just have read the back of the packet like I did, and she added in words that were not on the voucher to try to skew it her way.

She had a fixed agenda with it and her treatment was offensive.
    That is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Dunnes Stores sell goods from this (large) manufacturer and make profits from same.
    They enter into a contract with the manufacturer to honour such vouchers as part of their bigger contract.

The voucher worth is then redeemed by Dunnes Stores later. That's just how it works.

Firstly she stared at the vouchers, she questioned the products when she could just have read the back of the packet like I did, and she added in words that were not on the voucher to try to skew it her way.

That is unacceptable.

So they weren't Dunnes vouchers and probably were not something the person at the till was used to seeing? How do you know Dunnes have a contract with manufacturer to accept their vouchers and why would Dunnes be bound by some other company's T&Cs ?

The Dunnes employee took a little time to check out the voucher and asked a co-worker, big deal. Also the manufacturer has no right to dictate how you can redeem the vouchers at a different store, if Dunnes have a policy that only one voucher can be used to purchase one item, that is their right, it's not their voucher after all.

Are you over reacting a little?

davo10 wrote: »
    So they weren't Dunnes vouchers and probably were not something the person at the till was used to seeing? How do you know Dunnes have a contract with manufacturer to accept their vouchers?

The Dunnes employee took a little time to check out the voucher and asked a co-worker, big deal. Also the manufacturer has no right to dictate how you can redeem the vouchers at a different store, if Dunnes have a policy that only one voucher can be used to purchase one item, that is their right, it's not their voucher after all.

Are you over reacting a little?

She asked the co-worker after I asked her to ask her manager. She came back to me with their answer as if that was the same as the word of a manager.
    That is my issue with that, not that she simply asked a co-worker.

They have a contract with this manufacturer and with vouchers being so commonplace of course a company the size of Dunnes and this manufacturer would mention the issue of vouchers somewhere in the contract.

Even if she isn't used to seeing them the wording on the back was there to read. Without adding in new words!

Anyway if it turns out I can do nothing I'm just going to boycott them and they will lose a lot more than the 2 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

That is unacceptable.

......really?

She asked the co-worker after I asked her to ask her manager. She came back to me with their answer as if that was the same as the word of a manager.
    That is my issue with that, not that she simply asked a co-worker.

They have a contract with this manufacturer and with vouchers being so commonplace of course a company the size of Dunnes and this manufacturer would mention the issue of vouchers somewhere in the contract.

Even if she isn't used to seeing them the wording on the back was there to read. Without adding in new words!

Anyway if it turns out I can do nothing I'm just going to boycott them and they will lose a lot more than the 2 euro.

And she told you the manager wasn't there.

OP if you bought original faulty item in Dunnes, why didn't you receive Dunnes vouchers?

Again, Dunnes are not bound by another companies voucher policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

I don't think you can pass comment on the contract unless you have actually read it. For all we know the contract (if it even exists; although in fairness some sort of agreement/contract most likely does exist) actually allows Dunnes enforce a 1 voucher only per product rule.

As for what "action" you can take next? Well that sort of depends on what you want and how realistic that is. Send a polite letter/e-mail of complaint to the store manager outlining your disappointment at how you feel you were treated. See if/how they respond, and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

To be honest I can't see what she did wrong. You were expecting the shop to redeem a voucher (unfairly IMO), and it didn't work out according to how you felt it should. There was nothing in your post to suggest she was rude or treated you unfairly. In fact, I think it's completely wrong that you come on Boards and name the shop.

So the crux of the matter is you're left with a €2 voucher. Not a €200 voucher. I think perspective is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The issue here OP is your expectations. You should have checked with dunnes first to see if they accept these vouchers and what their voucher policy was rather then expecting they would do as you expect.
    Or perhaps asked the voucher issuer for confirmation on how the vouchers could be used.
    Dunnes may well have no direct relationship with the manufacturer as they could buy thru a wholesaler or other 3rd party?
    Seems to me that Dunnes handles this one ok.
    And regarding your threat to boycott Dunnes, that seems a bit childish IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

OP I'll give you Eur3 for the lot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

From the start it was obvious it was going to go badly.

Nuff said

I gave full examples in my first post to show the sequence of her rudeness; it actually started with her not even greeting us which is the most basic of things to do. She's obviously above common decency and not interested in her job.
    If that's the case, give the job to a student or someone with a few more brains who knows enough to at least be friendly to customers.

She stared HARD at the voucher is what I said in the first post. That was to imply it was overly done. She then straight away questioned the manufacturer of the products without even looking at the packets. So she's staring at vouchers, then not even looking at the products.

I am going to tell the manager about how she behaved and they can decide if she was right or not. If a supermarket can't be bothered employing nice staff I'll just shop elsewhere. Supervalu top of my list now.

OP let it go, the employee didn't recognise the voucher and wasn't sure what to do with it. There is no harm done and you seem to be a bit hissy over something very very small like the girl staring at the voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As for checking against the manufacturer of the product, I had the same in Dunne's last month but in fairness the company made plastic bin liners, gloves, and something else I can't now recall that went under 3 different brand names. The girl had to check if all was above board and fair dues she was right to do so. I remember a similar case last year and the manufacturer covered brands of honey, bread, pot noodles and a host of other items with different brand names.
    I think without being able to see the conditions on the back of the vouchers, irrespective of what extra word you say the girl added, it is impossible to say who was in the right here. That said, I have vouchers from manufacturers that I present in Dunne's regularly and have never had any problems as long as I was abiding by the terms of the vouchers,

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I gave full examples in my first post to show the sequence of her rudeness; it actually started with her not even greeting us which is the most basic of things to do. She's obviously above common decency and not interested in her job.
    If that's the case, give the job to a student or someone with a few more brains who knows enough to at least be friendly to customers.

She stared HARD at the voucher is what I said in the first post. That was to imply it was overly done. She then straight away questioned the manufacturer of the products without even looking at the packets. So she's staring at vouchers, then not even looking at the products.

I am going to tell the manager about how she behaved and they can decide if she was right or not. If a supermarket can't be bothered employing nice staff I'll just shop elsewhere. Supervalu top of my list now.

What rudeness??? I am at a total loss to see what it was she did wrong. One minute it's her not knowing what to do with a voucher, next it's her staring at the words, after that it's her not smiling at you. To be honest, you sound like you are having a total hissy fit over nothing. Move on with your life OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Is this some sort of level or does SIX EURO really warrant this much discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Forget the vouchers.

You have an issue with the way you were treated in Dunnes, make a complaint.

Even if you wanted to pay with magic beans, you, like all customers, should have been treated to the highest customer service standards, if you believe you were not, then complain.

End of story.

Exactly. It was 'SIX EURO'.

Have a read of this:
    http://supersalesme.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/nordstrom-tire-stor/

If you don't think it warrants discussion, maybe then don't comment?

I am offended by her entire overall manner as explained. It is all at issue here, all of it combined, not one part of the 'exchange' I had with her.

Anyway I will relay all to the store manager and see if they want to educate their staff a bit more as in, how to say Hello to a customer, basics in literacy, and some policy info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Listen go in and give the manager this book:

crowningthecustomer.jpg

and call the manufacture and tell them to send you a replacement for the faulty item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Exactly. It was 'SIX EURO'.

Have a read of this:
    http://supersalesme.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/nordstrom-tire-stor/

If you don't think it warrants discussion, maybe then don't comment?

I am offended by her entire overall manner as explained. It is all at issue here, all of it combined, not one part of the 'exchange' I had with her.

Anyway I will relay all to the store manager and see if they want to educate their staff a bit more as in, how to say Hello to a customer, basics in literacy, and some policy info.

Over €6???

My thoughts are with all those poor souls who work in retail.

P.S. Op get a life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

The cheek! !! Checking the voucher to make sure it's legitimate, in date and for the right product etc!!! Next thing they will be checking our bank notes before our very eyes to make sure they are not counterfeit! ! Keep fighting the good fight op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

The action I would suggest is get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

you do that and I can only imagine the conversation between said manager and co-worker after you leave!!!!

It sounds like this lady was doing her job and came across something she hadn't seen before and decided to do what all good employees should do and that was check it out.

You seem to take exception to this and were probably embarrassed at the checkout when the other shoppers behind you were rubber necking at someone arguing over a couple of €2 vouchers !!!!!!

You started this thread looking for advise as to where to go next ...

What are you looking for? an apology, a neck on the chopping board? more free stuff? compensation? apology in the national press?

If you let us know what your desired outcome is we probably can offer some advise as to how to achieve it should it be at all possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

whippet wrote: »
    It sounds like this lady was doing her job and came across something she hadn't seen before and decided to do what all good employees should do and that was check it out.

Problem is though it looks like she wasn't doing her job she refused to get the manager. There is ALWAYS a manager or assistant manage on duty in dunnes. If in fact there wasn't and the lady was being truthful in saying that then The manager themselves has to be brought to task on why there was no management on duty.

This would have been cleared up quite easily by a manager who should have been on duty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - enough with the "get over it comments". Constructive advice please.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Problem is though it looks like she wasn't doing her job she refused to get the manager. There is ALWAYS a manager or assistant manage on duty in dunnes. If in fact there wasn't and the lady was being truthful in saying that then The manager themselves has to be brought to task on why there was no management on duty.

This would have been cleared up quite easily by a manager who should have been on duty

Is it possible that the manager was dealing with something more important such as a spill or injured employee or perhaps a cash delivery and that the employee was quite capable of dealing with the customers issue?

While I think it's a bit snobby to tell the OP to get over it as it's only €6 (€6 to some is a fair amount of disposable income) it' perfectly reasonable for a cashier not to go running to the manager every-time a customer requests their presence, especially when they know the manager is going to say/do the exact same thing.

While I think it's a bit snobby to tell the OP to get over it as it's only €6 (€6 to some is a fair amount of disposable income) it' perfectly reasonable for a cashier not to go running to the manager every-time a customer requests their presence, especially when they know the manager is going to say/do the exact same thing.

For the last time, it is not about the money. It is about the way I was treated.
    If people are not getting that, don't bother posting, constantly repeating yourselves, and then twisting my words.
    Get a life yourselves! You are the ones posting on my thread.

gallag wrote: »
    The cheek! !! Checking the voucher to make sure it's legitimate, in date and for the right product etc!!! Next thing they will be checking our bank notes before our very eyes to make sure they are not counterfeit! ! Keep fighting the good fight op.

Again, she didn't ask me if the product was from the manufacturer. She was shaking her head looking at it, saying that it wasn't. I had to tell her to look at the package...you would think she could have discreetly checked herself without insinuating I was wrong.

Are you going to defend that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Again, she didn't ask me if the product was from the manufacturer. She was shaking her head looking at it, saying that it wasn't. I had to tell her to look at the package...you would think she could have discreetly checked herself without insinuating I was wrong.

Are you going to defend that?

I'll defend it! The girl was obviously confused and it was not clear to her. They deal with hundreds of people every day. They have all kinds of vouchers tonprocessnand these were obviously non standard, as the scanning usually will pick up the appropriateness of vouchers.
    As to what to do next? You contact the manufacturer and tell them vouchers were no way to recompense you for the problem you had with their product. They should have replaced them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement