Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What action can I take next?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I'll defend it! The girl was obviously confused and it was not clear to her.

What is confusing about the manufacturer's name clearly written on the back of a food product?

Are you taking the... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

pog it wrote: »
    What is confusing about the manufacturer's name clearly written on the back of a food product?

Are you taking the... ?

Did you buy the original item in Dunnes? I don't think you did, otherwise you would have a Dunnes voucher.

You asked what you can do next, there are two options,

• Go in to Dunnes, find the manager, describe how you had a voucher from a manufacturer for a faulty item you probably didn't buy in Dunnes, you went to a till and showed it to a girl who wasn't familiar with it, she stared too hard at it for your liking, she couldn't get a manager so she asked a colleague for advice and then she had the cheek to explain Dunnes Stores policy on vouchers to you. You can then stand there as the manager stares hard at you and wonders where your minder has wondered off to.

• you can put it down to experience and ask the manufacturer why they didn't just send you a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why am I deleting so many off-topic posts lately? Please stick to the topic at hand and keep your advice constructive.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

For the last time, it is not about the money. It is about the way I was treated.
    If people are not getting that, don't bother posting, constantly repeating yourselves, and then twisting my words.
    Get a life yourselves! You are the ones posting on my thread.

What outcome would you like?

h2005 wrote: »
    What outcome would you like?

For this cashier to be reprimanded and told that it is not okay to treat customers like that.
    She should greet people, a simple hello is enough, and if she gets a voucher, look at it, but no need to squint or look at it like it's fake, and if she is unsure about the product, just read it, just look at the damn back of it to verify the manufacturer name. Don't state out loud that you think the manufacturer is not the same unless you can verify that, otherwise you are demeaning the customer, which is what she did to me.

And don't add in words onto a voucher that are not there. Instead, actually ask a manager if you are not sure what the wording means, or be honest and say you don't want to bother asking the manager, and let the customer respond to that one.

She is letting down her employer with her brainless and ignorant behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

For this cashier to be reprimanded and told that it is not okay to treat customers like that.

I'm struggling to see what she did wrong and why you are so upset. It sounds perfectly logical to me that she would carefully examine a voucher that wasn't issued by Dunnes to check if it is a fake and to seek advice from a colleague. The one-voucher-per-transaction is not something she has control over.

There seems to be some underlying paranoia that this girl was insulting you by not just taking the vouchers quickly and giving you what you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

She should greet people, a simple hello is enough, and if she gets a voucher, look at it, but no need to squint or look at it like it's fake, and if she is unsure about the product, just read it, just look at the damn back of it to verify the manufacturer name. Don't state out loud that you think the manufacturer is not the same unless you can verify that, otherwise you are demeaning the customer, which is what she did to me.

And don't add in words onto a voucher that are not there. Instead, actually ask a manager if you are not sure what the wording means, or be honest and say you don't want to bother asking the manager, and let the customer respond to that one.

She seems to have done her job to me unless she lied to you, which is the conclusion you are jumping to. What if there wasn`t a manager available? Would she still be "brainless"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Would you please give the wording on the vouched with and without the word the cashier added? They are usually excellent at accepting vouchers once ethey are legit. I feel there's a huge need to know the wording and the items being purchased.

This all feels very OTT to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

For the last time, it is not about the money. It is about the way I was treated.
    If people are not getting that, don't bother posting, constantly repeating yourselves, and then twisting my words.
    Get a life yourselves! You are the ones posting on my thread.

OP if you were any where near this highly strung in the store you have to understand that people will react to the way you come across. I've worked in customer facing roles for twenty years tomorrow (fecking hell!) and I still can't help reacting to someone when they start getting into a tizzy. To be fair I'm pretty good at sorting things out at this stage and working PT helps but there have been a few punters over the years...

h2005 wrote: »
    She seems to have done her job to me unless she lied to you, which is the conclusion you are jumping to. What if there wasn`t a manager available? Would she still be "brainless"?

Dudara, can you close this thread please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Seriously, You say you were the one demeaned, yet you resort to insulting the cashier and call her 'brainless and ignorant'? It's getting hard to believe tbh.

As somebody who worked in retail for 18 years and had to deal with magazine vouchers and discounts, manufacturers discounts, online printout discounts and even when working for a franchise, overseas directors discounts - when you get a voucher or a discount that you are unaware of - it tends to need clearance. Sometimes a manager, and sometimes even head office clearance.

Can you clarify where you bought the item in the first place? Was it Dunnes? If so, why didn't you return it to Dunnes as your consumer rights allowed? What made you return the item to the manufacturer? This seems to be a situation of your own making, when you have a faulty product - your receipt is your contract and your receipt is issued by the retailer. For some reason you bypassed the retailer rather than make life easy for yourself. Did you expect extra compensation perhaps?

Your problem isn't with Dunnes, it's with the manufacturer and has been since you bypassed the retailer. The Dunnes employee was following guidelines issued by her employer, and Dunnes are fairly renowned for not 'bending the rules'. In fact by accepting your vouchers without clearance, it's highly likely the cashier would have been disciplined as tills need to balance to the penny or the cashier is responsible. Given your account of what happened, she was just doing her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

Quite frankly what happens the cashier is no of your bloody business. You can bring it to the attention of the shop but after that what happens is nothing to do with you.

By the sounds of it you have bright it to the attention of the shop ... So in answer to your question 'what action can I take next' is "nothing"

And just remember there are two sides to every story and the cashiers recollection as to how the exchange went May very well be polar opposites to what you have told us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Afroshack warned for continuing to ignore moderator instruction.

Thread closed at OP request

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement