Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW Caravelle 05 conversion to Camper Van

Options
  • 09-03-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone,
    I have a VW Caravelle 2005, and i want to convert it to camper van.
    What should I do for conversion?
    Will I have to pay VRT (This van is now Irish registration)?
    Thank you everyone. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No VRT liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

A motor caravan must have the following equipment as a minimum:
    (a) seats and table;
    (b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
    (c) cooking facilities;
    (d) storage facilities.
    This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment. However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

As the poster above mentioned a Caravelle will have no VRT liability as the VRT paid initially when it was registered will cover the change to a camper.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Yet again be aware that getting insurance on a low roof conversion is not straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Valski

Thank you everyone for your answers and information.
    moodrater can you help me? How should I get the insurance better for the van?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Valski wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your answers and information.
    moodrater can you help me? How should I get the insurance better for the van?
    Thanks

It seems some insurance companies don't want to insure vehicles with less than 1.8m interior height. This rule is not rigidly enforced; there appears to be some brokers or camper clubs who can get the insurance.

Have a look at this guys blog, plenty of conversion and insurance info: http://bluetdi.blogspot.ie/2011/06/irish-camper-van-status.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement