Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

import wine from Italy: import taxes?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I'd like to import 6 bottles from Italy by submitting an online order.
    This will be only for private purposes, I will not sell them.

Will I have to pay additional taxes?

Imagine that I will pay €63.60 of wine + €20.00 shipment.

How does it work?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's within the EU so if they are for personal consumption and they are not being bought 'en primeur', there should be no extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sirio

this is quite interesting:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

however it is for passengers who travel to ireland, not for online orders.
    Does anybody have more specific guidelines for online orders?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

http://thevineinspiration.org/2013/10/19/importing-wine-to-ireland-for-personal-use/

This person has done the research for you. A simple google.

Tax and duty is payable even if acquired from another eu member state. Unless u really have to have that particular wine its going to be costly.

Rules for products which are excisable are different. Alcohol tobacco etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Interesting but the linked article is not exactly accurate,

If you read in full the Revenue leaflet he quotes it clearly states (emphasis mine)
    The necessary arrangements for payment of the excise duty and VAT (at the standard rate) in the State must be made by the trader who sells and delivers the products. These arrangements include registration for VAT in the State. The Purchaser should be satisfied that the trader is compliant, as untaxed products are liable to seizure and confiscation.

Personally, I see little point in bringing in just six bottles by post, it is not cost efficient.

Advertisement