Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Iron Cross

• 09-03-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Dear friends,

I am considering buying my first Iron Cross second class from 1939. After reading multiple websites and forum threads I am a bit scared that I will end up buying a high quality reproduction or one of those feared flochs. If anybody could give me his opinion on two crosses that I have pre-selected it would be VERY much appreciated. Both crosses are offered by (I think, at first sight, and for a newbie) serious dealers:

The first cross costs 85 Pounds and it is described by the dealer as:

"An Iron Cross 2nd Class for 1939 being good overall condition with only minor wear and tear to it. The cross is nicely soldered up with no splitting or cracking to the frame. The ribbon loop on this example is marked No 25."

Picture in: http://www.thirdreichmedals.com/pictures/m1449.jpg

The second cross I am considering costs 130 € and it is described by the dealer as:

"Standard issue cross, 3-piece construction with magnetic center. The cross is makermarked "113" in the ring for "Hermann Aurich, Dresden." Has virtually all of its silvering left, shows no age darkening to the frame. No paintloss or rust. Comes with a piece of original ribbon."

Picture in http://www.military-antiques-stockholm.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_30_39&products_id=800

I would like the cross to be marked and has magnetic core, and that is why I have pre-selected those.

Could anybody please give me some pointers/indications regarding these crosses? Could you guys confirm that they are authentic WWII items. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Have a good evening,
    James.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Hello James,

Apologies for my tardiness in replying to this thread, and welcome to the addiction!

Both cross you have shown are indeed period originals - nothing to worry about there.
    My only thoughts are that both seem to be a little overpriced. Maybe I have been out of the loop for a while, but if EK2's are fetching these prices then I think I may have sold my collection too soon!

I see the '113' has been marked as sold - were you the buyer?

Regards - Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 38 roleplayer

Hi there I too have a number of medals including what I was told is a genuine IronCross, from a look at what I know are not great pictures could you hazard a guess as to whether these are the genuine article or not? and if they are what would their value be?

roleplayer wrote: »
    Hi there I too have a number of medals including what I was told is a genuine IronCross, from a look at what I know are not great pictures could you hazard a guess as to whether these are the genuine article or not? and if they are what would their value be?

Hi,
    Your cross looks like a good (genuine) Paul Meybauer EK1. Can you post another picture with the pin closed? Is there a 7 stamped on the pin or an L/13??

Not all were marked so don't worry if there aren't any stamps. However, to be certain, I would like to see some more photographs in natural light rather than by flash.

Regards - Dan

Dan,
    Thank you for your reply, here are a few pictures I was able to get this morning, If these are not clear enough I can take more later.

Thanks for the extra pictures, and yes, it's a textbook Paul Meybauer cross. :)

Regards - Dan

• Advertisement

Dan,
    Thank you very much for this additional information.I shall now "google" it to see the significance etc. of these. I have a few other medals/badges & pins from the same era and sadly the times we are living is is making me look into their value and seeing if they are sellable.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Hi,

I see unmarked EK II's for €70 and unmarked EK I's for €150 at the moment. :)

It depends on the site you go to.

KR

Thanks you for the suggested prices, as I mentioned it is a pity, but I have made the decision. I need the money more then I need the cross. I would love to see it go to someone that would appreciate the medal for what it is and the bravery needed to earn one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Its always sad having to sell. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

roleplayer wrote: »
    Thanks you for the suggested prices, as I mentioned it is a pity, but I have made the decision. I need the money more then I need the cross. I would love to see it go to someone that would appreciate the medal for what it is and the bravery needed to earn one.

There are different online options available such as eBay etc. also, if you post it on adverts.ie you may link to the ad here on thread. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement