Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat broken leg

• 09-03-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Our cat recently broke its leg, the vet suspects it was caught in a trap (I want to find the person that put it out and snap it on their leg :mad::mad::mad:). He is being operated on tomorrow and if successful (i.e. no amputation) he will have screws and a cast for the next 10 weeks or so.

From what I have read he will have be confined to a room with limited jumping opportunities. He is a fairly calm cat but loves being outdoors in general. How can we try to keep him calm throughout the day so he doesn't go crazy indoors?

Has anyone here had a cat with a broken leg?? What did you do? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Feliway spray or a diffuser should help with calming his nerves.
    Really hoping his op goes as planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Our cat broke his leg last year.He was in a splint from his toes to his hip for 6 weeks but we didnt keep him in,he was allowed outside after a few days once he got used to wearing the splint.
    He was well able to get around & could even jump in the window,he seemed to know his limits on what he could & couldnt do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

He'll adapt.

Just like you and me can adapt to a broken limb for a while, your cat will be the exact same. He'll be fine outside once he's used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wouldn't leave him outside, unless on a lead or heavily supervised because you just can't trust them not to run/jump. He will adapt to being inside, my formerly indoor/outdoor cat is now totally indoors save for a couple of on lead walks every day after his accident and he's fine now. I find that keeping them occupied mentally tires them out more than exercise. Like I taught my guy to sit and give the paw, and now that his exercise isn't limited anymore he has great fun with laser toys and his DaBird toy. Feeding them in different ways keeps them occupied too, we put dry food into a circuit toy so he had to work a bit to get out the food, did the same with a cardboard box with holes cut into it. Hope the op goes well, but even if the leg has to be amputated tripod cats do very very well!

Advertisement