Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which One Would You Choose

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

House 1 for me, 3 pro's leap out- the downstairs loo, the groundfloor extension and the biggy for me is that it is a semi detached. Mid terrace is a disaster as far as i can see, you cant beat being able to get down the side of your house with bins, kids bikes, ladders and garden work etc. if you lived in house 2 and ever decided to build an extension all that muck and materials would have to be carted through the house, a nightmare imo. Anyway best of luck!

House 1 for all these reasons. There's also the fact that midterrace you can end up hearing noise from 2 sets of neighbours instead of just one, and keeping the bins out the front would drive me mad.

When the engineer is checking the place, make sure he climbs a ladder and takes a look at that flat roof too. Not a big deal if it needs redoing, but might help you knock a few quid off the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

House 1 there is no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    BER is total unfit for purpose of accurately telling you about your bills. It is a very misleading piece of information. You need to be able to read the report and understand it. The BER figure itself is nearly worthless.

Citation, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nope! House 1 for me. No2. would be out. Looks a lot smaller....

Anyway - House 1 is in a nicer area! If you're buying in Bishopstown be sure to ask about subsidence and whether the house has been underpinned or not. Apparently it's a notorious area for subsidence. Check the insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Orchid

We know about the subsidence in the area, thanks very much. Hopefully the engineer is good and will pick up any issues. And thanks again everyone for the very many useful tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Orchid wrote: »
    We know about the subsidence in the area, thanks very much. Hopefully the engineer is good and will pick up any issues. And thanks again everyone for the very many useful tips.
    Well that explains the cracks for you.

Even if it has subsided it may have stopped. The problem is you need inspection over a long period to really know. That means having gauges and monitors over a number of years.

When I say gauges it just tends to be a pieces of glass stuck on each side of a crack. It being brittle it will crack.

You certainly need a full structural report on the property and I would be asking the owner to provide any details of works or inspection. Ask through your solicitor so there is a trail and any omission found out later can be used in court.

Just being safe it isn't normally something you have to worry about and it isn't always an expensive fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

House 1 for me by a long way.

Wouldn't worry too much about it being south-easterly.

The length of the garden will help keep sunshine late into the evening at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think part of it will depend on what your needs are. If you have a load of kids or tele-commute or expect visitors / grannies, having that extra room might be useful.

Advertisement