Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dislike feature

Options
  • 09-03-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Could we add a dislike button for posts.. similar to the ''thumbs up'' feature:D:D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In the context of this thread...

facebook-unlike-thumbs-down-symbol-370x229.jpg?1349343256

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jaysus the High Horse brigade are dangerous enough without arming them with a weapon like that! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Search this forum carzony, you'll find that has been asked many times.

General consensus is that it would be bad for the site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sherbert Forest

Steve wrote: »
    General consensus is that it would be bad for the site.

What you scared of? That the threads on this site are so sh!t they drown in down votes?

HAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHHAH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why do you want it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why do you want it?

Because it makes it easier to be uncivil without the need for an intelligent counterpoint.

Which is kinda what internet discussion boards are all about for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

carzony wrote: »
    Could we add a dislike button for posts.. similar to the ''thumbs up'' feature:D:D

Just Thank a post and then unthank it! Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could it be much worse than the cliquey misuse of the 'thanks' feature?

Probably would, come to think of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Could it be much worse than the cliquey misuse of the 'thanks' feature?

Probably would, come to think of it.

What cliques misuse the Thanks button? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

An File wrote: »
    Those bloody agreeable sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

An File wrote: »

Those bullying bastards that ignore my unfunny posts and thank other people's funny posts purely as a form of implicit passive aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Why can't we ever try these things on boards. Nobody likes change but you adapt for the love of Mick.
    Nobody wanted the bloody thanks button in the beginning either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Why can't we ever try these things on boards. Nobody likes change but you adapt for the love of Mick.
    Nobody wanted the bloody thanks button in the beginning either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thanks button helps reduce redundant +1 posts. A down voting helps determine discussion by popularity. Essentially you create a filter bubble where the minority opinions are effectively drowned out. Numerous discussion sites us this but that doesn't mean it's correct. The whole point of discussion is exchange of ideas. On Facebook now the site is heavily filtered to show you only comments that you will like. That is rather scary. Great for revenue generating but filter bubbles are a little disconcerting. Variety is the spice of life. Boards is terrible enough without adding in down voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Politics.ie had a similar dislike thing, ended up with far too much discussion about why somebody disliked their post and such nonsense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'd agree with Jernal's point - the idea that you're filtering the internet to only see the stuff you agree with is a genuinely frightening thought to me. How can bigotry/homophobia/sexism/racism/etc be challenged when those who continue to believe in such tripe never see a challenging opinion or "downvote" a dissenting voice out of relevance?

The Thanks system eliminated the "+1" issue we had. It's far from perfect and I'm not suggesting that it's not open for abuse and clique nonsense, but it's better than what we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not a great idea. You will have sad little weirdos with a grudge, disliking every post another user makes regardless of content. You can see it with the current setup, where they thank every post that disagrees with a particular poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Not a great idea. You will have sad little weirdos with a grudge, disliking every post another user makes regardless of content. You can see it with the current setup, where they thank every post that disagrees with a particular poster.
    Hey! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sticky a notice on the top of feedback: no dislike button!

And release Brian!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Adapt? Eh, google boards' experiments with the karma system back in 2001 or thereabouts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

nesf wrote: »
    Adapt? Eh, google boards' experiments with the karma system back in 2001 or thereabouts...

Sounds enticing! Spill the beans!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sounds enticing! Spill the beans!! :D

People take downvotes very, very personally. They're also really easy to use as a weapon in personal spats. That's the short version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Not trying to hijack this thread, this is just an observation.

I brought up the possible issue of people thanking abusive posts before (which imo is similar to issues a dislike feature might cause) and offered forth a solution of disabling thanks on carded posts. It was dismissed by quite a few as "thought crime" as people supposedly had some sort of inherent right to thank whoever they wanted. The argument that thanking an abusive post was tantamount to +1ing it was also dismissed by many. Yet I see Dav stating above that that is the exact reason there is a thanks feature available to begin with.

The consensus otherwise (considering the lack of interest) seemed to have been that it wasnt an issue worth addressing despite a relatively "easy and straightforward" fix as pointed out by a member of the tech team. Or that thanks were too ambiguous to deprive people of the ability to thank whatever they wanted.

I find it odd that people are so vehemently against a dislike feature yet view the thanks feature as some sort of inherent right and are loathed to address any issues relating to it because of the ambiguity of a "thank".

It just strikes me as being rather contradictory to take both the position of avoiding addressing issues with the thanks feature because thanks are too ambiguous and its tantamount to thought crime while at the same time dismissing the idea of a dislike feature because people may abuse it, or use it to filter what they want to see.

They are either both "rights" of the user to decide what they want to like and dislike and filter or not filter. Or they are just features that serve a purpose that can be adopted or changed at will. So if there is nothing to be gained from implementing a dislike feature other than problems, why the reluctance to the limit the ability of users to thank certain posts when it is a problem that people can without repercussion thank posts that are clearly not wanted on this website ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I brought up the possible issue of people thanking abusive posts before (which imo is similar to issues a dislike feature might cause) and offered forth a solution of disabling thanks on carded posts. It was dismissed by quite a few as "thought crime" as people supposedly had some sort of inherent right to thank whoever they wanted. The argument that thanking an abusive post was tantamount to +1ing it was also dismissed by many. Yet I see Dav stating above that that is the exact reason there is a thanks feature available to begin with.

The consensus otherwise (considering the lack of interest) seemed to have been that it wasnt an issue worth addressing despite a relatively "easy and straightforward" fix as pointed out by a member of the tech team. Or that thanks were too ambiguous to deprive people of the ability to thank whatever they wanted.

I find it odd that people are so vehemently against a dislike feature yet view the thanks feature as some sort of inherent right and are loathed to address any issues relating to it because of the ambiguity of a "thank".

It just strikes me as being rather contradictory to take both the position of avoiding addressing issues with the thanks feature because thanks are too ambiguous and its tantamount to thought crime while at the same time dismissing the idea of a dislike feature because people may abuse it, or use it to filter what they want to see.

They are either both "rights" of the user to decide what they want to like and dislike and filter or not filter. Or they are just features that serve a purpose that can be adopted or changed at will. So if there is nothing to be gained from implementing a dislike feature other than problems, why the reluctance to the limit the ability of users to thank certain posts when it is a problem that people can without repercussion thank posts that are clearly not wanted on this website ?
    We're Irish, we like things exactly the way they are. What's hard to understand about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Badger please correct me if I'm misreading your post but it seems like what you're suggesting is the way to fix one problem is to come up with a 'solution' that creates even more problems?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Badger please correct me if I'm misreading your post but it seems like what you're suggesting is the way to fix one problem is to come up with a 'solution' that creates even more problems?

What problems are created ? I'm not suggesting implementing the dislike feature btw. Just wondering why its such a no go despite the thanks feature being seen as untouchable lest you tell people what they should and shouldnt thank.

What problems are created ? I'm not suggesting implement the dislike feature btw.

So... in a thread discussing the implementation of a dislike feature where the general consensus is that it's not necessary to implement a dislike feature, you're not suggesting implementing the dislike feature either...

Ok now I'm really confused! :confused:

Czarcasm wrote: »
    So... in a thread discussing the implementation of a dislike feature where the general consensus is that it's not necessary to implement a dislike feature, you're not suggesting implementing the dislike feature either...

Ok now I'm really confused! :confused:

What problems are created ? I'm not suggesting implementing the dislike feature btw. Just wondering why its such a no go despite the thanks feature being seen as untouchable lest you tell people what they should and shouldnt thank.

Reading those might help with your confusion.

Reading those might help with your confusion.

Never mind, forget I asked tbh :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement