Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 Gone Slow

• 09-03-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My iPhone 4 can be very slow sometimes.. any ideas as to make it fast again?

I had a search through and I can't seem to find out how to do a clear out etc. to possibly speeden it up.

It's 8gb. I only really use apps like Facebook, Twitter, Sky Sports, Snap chat and iTube.

An example of it being slow would be hitting the text messaging app and going to type a few words in but it takes a few seconds for what you typed to come up. FB can be very slow at loading sometimes, and can freeze for a few seconds when trying to scroll through the news feed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Try a proper restart of the phone. Press and hold both the power button and home button at the same time.

Keep holding until you see the Apple logo flash into the screen then let go.

See how the phone goes after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Did you upgrade the software to iOS 7 recently? It could be that the software upgrade is slowing down the phone? I've noticed a substantial decrease in the speed of the phone since I upgraded.......also a delay in the text appearing etc

D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

I'm having the same problem since updating, it was fine before that. Is there anything I can do to speed it up again? Getting really irritating!
    Decoda wrote: »
    Did you upgrade the software to iOS 7 recently? It could be that the software upgrade is slowing down the phone? I've noticed a substantial decrease in the speed of the phone since I upgraded.......also a delay in the text appearing etc

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Try a proper restart of the phone. Press and hold both the power button and home button at the same time.

Keep holding until you see the Apple logo flash into the screen then let go.

See how the phone goes after that.

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It does for a the first few mins, after that back to same old same old.

Maybe it is the new update to iOS7.

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

chops018 wrote: »
    Doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It does for a the first few mins, after that back to same old same old.

Maybe it is the new update to iOS7.

Any other ideas?

Restore and install as new. Back up before hand though. See do you experience the lag with a fresh install of iOS 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

iOS 7.1 came out today, it should make your phone less laggy. But it will never run as smooth as iOS 6, the iPhone 4's single core simply can't handle iOS 7 well. It's also the last major iOS version on iPhone 4 so 7.1 is your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

There are things you can do like turning of spotlight search and animations etc. Hopefully iOS 7.1 improves things, just downloading it now.

There are things you can do like turning of spotlight search and animations etc. Hopefully iOS 7.1 improves things, just downloading it now.

How do I turn them off?

Yes, downloading the new update now. Hopefully it makes it somewhat better.

I'm gonna try get an iPhone 5 soon. if I can pick one up second hand at the right price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

How do I turn them off?

Yes, downloading the new update now. Hopefully it makes it somewhat better.

I'm gonna try get an iPhone 5 soon. if I can pick one up second hand at the right price.
    Settings-general. Go into spotlight search and untick everything. Also go to background refresh and turn it off.

guil wrote: »
    Settings-general. Go into spotlight search and untick everything. Also go to background refresh and turn it off.

Thanks....what about animations, how do you turn them off?

The update has very noticeably made the phone quicker thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Thanks....what about animations, how do you turn them off?

The update has very noticeably made the phone quicker thankfully.

Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > On.

Have a read of this - http://m.cnet.com/news/how-to-speed-up-ios-7-on-an-older-device/57604853

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > On.

Have a read of this - http://m.cnet.com/news/how-to-speed-up-ios-7-on-an-older-device/57604853

Ok. Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement