Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know these places?

Options
  • 09-03-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi, here I am again ;)
    I found some images on the web and I'd like to know where those places are.
    They are two strange constructions, probably memorials, and the ruins of a castle.
    I haven't much information about them apart from the detail that they should be around Killala. One of the memorials is called Knox-Gore Monument and is said to be in the Belleek Wood. Is the other memorial in the same place?
    Could you please tell me where the ruins of castle are?
    The photos of the places are attached.
    Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Not sure about the others (although the third looks familiar), but I'm pretty sure this is the precise location of the Knox-Gore monument: http://goo.gl/maps/88fDO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thank you, OscarBravo!
    That is the location for that monument, the aerial view of Google confirms that.
    I hope someone else could help me out for the other two places.
    Thank you again! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

the gazebo is in lacken, i cant get a precise google maps location for you but if you can search google maps for castlelacken its very close to there..
    the castle/tower ruins i havent a notion of..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Aha! I'd forgotten that's where I'd seen it. I think this is the location: http://goo.gl/maps/9D0Sd

Woody1, yes, I supposed it was in that area because I had found another page with this info, but nothing more than that. I tried with Google Maps but the aerial view isn't much of help when the area to browse is very large :D

OscarBravo, well it seems that now we have all that we need about those two strange memorials.
    Now I have to rely on someone who knows the ruins ;)

Thanks to both of you!!!

• Advertisement

It's possible that the castle is in Castlenageeha, on the way to Kilcummin Head. If not, I have no more ideas ;)

Mistery solved!
    The castle is Kinbane Castle, county Antrim, at about 5 km from Ballycastle.
    I think that the misunderstanding came from the name of the town, Ballycastle, both in co. Antrim and in co. Mayo, and somehow Google put all the three things together.
    Thanks a million for your patience ;)

Advertisement