Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My last cigarette I hope!

Options
  • 09-03-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

I have just lit what I hope to be my last cigarette wish me luck. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭6541

Best of luck, I am on Day 40 of cold turkey. Its not easy but fcuk life is way better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Glad to see you are still of them, hopefully I can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

The very best of luck stevek93.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 poppyseeder

Very best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good for you! You can do it.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Approaching 2 years now. Other than the birth of the kids & getting married I look back on the day I quit as the next best day in my life.
    • Back to doing sports.
    • Much more cash
    • Dont stink of fags (it is really bad)
    • Got my taste buds back (am a chef)
    • Much better sleep at night
    • Almost no colds \ infections at all (maybe 1 a year)
    • Much more energy

If you fall off, get back on. If you need help, ask for it. Never stop fighting it.

Have fallen of the wagon this morning :( don't think cold turkey is going to work for me, might try again in a few weeks a lot of stress at moment.

I really recommend that you get hypnotised. I am on day 40 odd and I will tell ya i smoke 20 plus a day, then when it came to pub time you could double that.
    It is really works and is really worth a try.

6541 wrote: »
    I really recommend that you get hypnotised. I am on day 40 odd and I will tell ya i smoke 20 plus a day, then when it came to pub time you could double that.
    It is really works and is really worth a try.

How much is it? Was thinking the electronic cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

stevek93 wrote: »
    How much is it? Was thinking the electronic cigarettes.

I tried EVERYTHING!!

Only thing that worked was E-cigs, I swear by them now.

• Advertisement

It varies, I got friend rates ! So i don't know on the open market. But listen I can't recommend it enough. This is coming from a non believer as well. I really thought that hypnotism was crap!

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I tried EVERYTHING!!

Only thing that worked was E-cigs, I swear by them now.

Are they all the same, are the one's in the newsagents any good? Seems to be them electronic cigarette shops springing up all over the place.

6541 wrote: »
    It varies, I got friend rates ! So i don't know on the open market. But listen I can't recommend it enough. This is coming from a non believer as well. I really thought that hypnotism was crap!

Ill take it as a last resort, alot of people are finding the electronic cigarettes very good.

Ill take it as a last resort, alot of people are finding the electronic cigarettes very good.

I tried them but ended up hating them. Its too easy to OD on nicotine and feel very ill. Maybe not a bad thing as I am running into day 7 of cold turkey tomorrow and I am delighted I have held up.

The bonus of not using NRT or e-cigs is knowing the nicotine habit doesnt outlive the fags.

That said, I have a doctor that begs smokes from patients and is completely addicted to nicotine gum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Best of luck

Quick update haven't smoked since last night headaches are whats killing me at moment but feeling optimistic see what tomorrow brings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The first three days were the worst for me, but after I got over that hump I found it plain sailing. But I fell back into smoking full time then after a month and a half off them ('cos I'm worth it, right? :o )but will quit again soon.

Not easy is right good luck to me sleeping tonight :P, hopefully you quit them for good, downloaded that quit smoking app on android works great, what is helping me at the moment is the thoughts of having too reset the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Quick update haven't smoked since last night headaches are whats killing me at moment but feeling optimistic see what tomorrow brings. :)
    How are you doing now? Fair play for going ahead with quitting.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How are you doing now? Fair play for going ahead with quitting.

Back on them next day after posting so never really quit, don't know what to do going cold turkey isn't is helping in my favor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Back on them next day after posting so never really quit, don't know what to do going cold turkey isn't is helping in my favor.
    At least you want to give them up, that's the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 atog

fair play. dont know if id be able to do it. any advice for social smokers??

atog wrote: »
    fair play. dont know if id be able to do it. any advice for social smokers??

From all I've read, step one is to accept you are a smoker, social or not and take it from there like every other smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

All the best for the last cigarette you are enjoying. May after this you never look at the cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elegant vibrance

Hi Steve,

Not sure if you have heard of it but I recently started a course of CHAMPIX. A bit pricey at €132 but if it works it will be well worth it.

The basic idea is that it blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain so you don't get anything from smoking and after a week or so you just stop. There have been hundreds of reports of success with this prescription and my chemist told me she is off them 2 and a half years since starting the course. (made it a bit easier to hand over the money)

I'll post my success and or failure when I have finished the course if you are interested?

Best of luck with it... let us know how you get on...

I got hypnotised and have not smoked in 250 days !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I wouldn't like to market something as expensive as Champix, and I wouldn't have bought it myself(it was bought by someone I've since paid back), but it has worked for me. I started taking the pills on May 30, stopped smoking June 10 and haven't had a cigarette since.

It gets rid of the craving so you only have to deal with the habitual part of the addiction. I found the pills made me a bit nauseous sometimes and I had some weird dreams but it was way more effective than e-cigs or Niquitin stuff.

I still miss smoking sometimes, that will probably never go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

Dude, IMHO, the you wished luck won't be with you if you keep thinking the one on your fingers will be the last one!

Right, I am smoke free past 3 months due to ecigs, happy vaping :)

• Advertisement

I am nearly two years now !

Advertisement