Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing someone home

Options
  • 09-03-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

We've just got the sad news that my uncle has not got long left to live. He is in hospital in the UK and has lived there for as long as I can remember. My Aunt and Uncle are on the way over and we are awaiting proper info from when the get to speak to the hospital. What we are trying to do at here is arrange about bringing his body home. We are unsure of his financial situation over there, he does have a lawyer but we have not spoken to him/her yet. He has no family in the UK. He is an extremely large man and bringing his body home can be very expensive. I've been on to the irish embassy website and they do not provide any aid or grant for this, does anybody know if there is such aid/grants.

Thank you in advance Lucy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

sorry for your loss .. We had a similar loss a few years ago our undertaker here in ireland was able to take care of everything and drove over on the ferry to bring our uncle home.
    may be talk to a local undertaker for some advice again sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sorry for your loss, link below is the citizens advice for this situation.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/after_a_death/bringing_a_body_to_ireland_for_burial_or_cremation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We had a similar situation. A family member who lived in in the UK for over 60 years passed away. It was their wish to be brought home to Ireland to be buried! They were cremated and we were able to bring the ashes back with us when we travelled back. It was easy to do.
    Our situation was a bit different in that the funeral was in the UK at their local church. We had a mass here then before burying the ashes in the family grave. You should prepare yourself for the length of time it takes to have a funeral over there. It took nearly 2 weeks to have the funeral after his passing then It was about another 3/4 days after this before ashes were ready and this was it being rushed.

Advertisement