Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting First Cat

• 09-03-2014 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi guys! Ive always been a dog person but my poor yorky that I had for years, passed away several months ago. Ide love to get a pet to keep me company, and a cat appeals to be more-so than a dog. Mainly as there there is much less maintenance.

Anyway I will probably adopt one within the next week or two from <snip>. I have a few questions.
    Is there anything I need to know/ look out for to pick the right cat/kitten? Im unsure about the care they need, do i need to wash it/ cut its nails or not? How do I avoid the cat from scratching and peeing on my furniture? Whats the best type of litter and litter bin?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Good choice on a cat!

I'll try answer your questions, washing - no not needed unless they get very very messy. I've only had to wash my cats the very odd time. Once when one of them got covered in chicken poop, during the summer when he gets greasy fur from sun cream (white eared cats will need sun cream in the summer!), and another one when he had diarrhoea. As for claw clipping it depends, one of my cats I never have to clip, the other 2 get an odd trim when their claws get too sharp just because they like to knead me and I don't like getting covered in little red marks! But usually cats are good and keeping their claws in condition by themselves.

Cats are generally very clean creatures so it's unlikely that they will pee on furniture once they are litter trained and neutered unless there is something medically or physically wrong (like with one of my cats with nerve damage). Scratching though, yes they could scratch your furniture so I would recommend getting a decent scratching post which would let them do a full body stretch up it. If they persist on scratching furnatire, put double sides sticky tape where they do it and they will soon stop.

Best litter and tray will depend on the cat and what they are used to. I have a combination of hooded, non hooded and small litter trays around the place, they prefer the hooded and bigger ones but will use the small one on a pinch. If you get a young kitten it's better start with a small one so they will be able to get into it easily. Bigger ones allow them more scratching/burying room which they do prefer. As for litter, find out what the shelter has been using and continue with it. Personally I prefer wood pellets, they can be flushed in small quantities and also break down into compost and don't leave trails everywhere. Only downside is it turns to sawdust when wet so I have to change it a bit more often. Clay litter will clump when wet so it's easier to clean up, but it will get caught in kitties paws and leave trails all over, plus some kittens may try to eat it. It'll just be trial and error to see what works for both of ye!

As for how to choose.. Generally they will choose you! Look for a cat/kitten that will approach you, or not cower/run when approached. Good coat quality and bright clear eyes with no discharge would also be a good thing to look out for, but you'll know when you find the right one. When I used to volunteer in a shelter there was one kitten who was in the first pen I would clean and she would sit on my shoulder the entire time as I was going from pen to pen. I would have adopter her only I would have been killed by my parents! Also don't rule out older cats, eveyone wants a small adorable kitten but that stage doesn't last long and older cats are always overlooked unfortunately, but they can be just as loving! (Plus they are usually better litter trained ;) )

Best of luck in your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

As above, don't rule out an older cat. I got my rescue cat at 1 year and we have an amazing bond. Also, I personally wouldn't choose the cat who is the friendliest at the shelter as there will be many others who did not get the best start in life but who could end up just as friendly and affectionate with a little bit of time and patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Thanks Mango! Allot of good information there!

Nice to hear that they don't have to be washed regularly and I guess I will just have to see what litter combo will work best!

As regards the stracting post is a vertical one like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Parla-Scratching-Post-Platinum/dp/B000NE2X3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394402290&sr=8-1&keywords=scratching+post or a flat one like this more commendable? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Jungle-Stripes-Patterned-Scratching/dp/B0032G6VVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394402290&sr=8-2&keywords=scratching+post.

Ill pop down to the shelter relatively soon and see if there's one that touches my heart. Thanks!

I'd go for the vertical, the horizontal just doesn't give them the same stretch out!
    Keep us updated on your search :)

I'd go for the vertical, the horizontal just doesn't give them the same stretch out!
    Keep us updated on your search :)

Cheers will do! :)

• Advertisement

If you order online like on zooplus you can get very good ones quite cheap. I got this one for around 80 euro and my guys love it, similar ones are over €250 in shops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Look for a cat/kitten that will approach you, or not cower/run when approached
    angeline wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't choose the cat who is the friendliest at the shelter as there will be many others who did not get the best start in life but who could end up just as friendly and affectionate with a little bit of time and patience.

Ok, so I know these 2 statements will confuse you and I'm going to confuse you even further in telling you I adopted my current cat from a discussion on this very forum. See here! which ended up with me adopting him the very next day here

I took a chance and it's worked out great!

I wanted an older cat. Eddie was ~12mths.Not old...but not a kitten. I wanted to avoid the curtain climbing skittishness of a very young kitten and also wanted to allow him on my apt balcony (first floor) without too much hassle. He was neutered, but not vaccinated (that I knew of). I got him vax'd, chipped and tested for FIV/FeLV within those first few weeks.

I adore kittens, but I wanted to adopt an older cat who had a semi established personality and was neutered.

With cats, they often hide their true personality in a shelter environment so I wouldn't discount a quiet/shy cat at all if it's what you are drawn to.

When I got Eddie,he literally settled in straightaway it was remarkable. I had a covered over littertray in one corner of the kitchen (took him 24hrs to relax enough to use it though), affectionate, playful, no spraying, no health issues...but needs regular deworming because I let him outside and he is a rodent catcher.

Everyone can give you their tips but for a first time cat owner my tips would be:
    • Source from a reputable shelter or vet practice (mine was)
    • Ask about their medical history (limited history but no more than a shelter would have)
    • How much are you willing to spend on basic medical care at the start i.e. neutering, first vaccinations,pet insurance
    • Is where you live suitable for a cat (luckily I'm allowed where I live)
    • Are you willing to commit to this animal for approx 15 years (i was)
    • Can you afford medical care if required subsequently(or insurance as mentioned)..(I'm insured with Allianz)
    • Does your lifestyle accommodate a pet
    • If you're gone for longer than 10-12hrs+/day...do you have pet care backup?
    If you can answer happily to all of above then the cat world's your oyster!! The rescue you named is fantastic so all you need to do now is know that you're ready.

A basic litter tray or 2 with cat litter (i've always used Lidl's), a few beds,good food (there's excellent posts on here about nutrition) and the essential veterinary care...you're good to go!

Thanks Anniehoo! Lovely story with Eddie, I flicked through the thread! All the info is brilliant although im unsure what you mean by "Is where you live suitable for a cat" Do you mean is my house suitable? or is the location right? I live in a detached house in an estate with a large garden, although I would prefer if the cat was kept mostly indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ronan14 wrote: »
    although im unsure what you mean by "Is where you live suitable for a cat

I'm an owner occupier of an apartment. Most complexes don't allow pets fullstop.

I'm very VERY lucky in that for that last 6 years we have a very tolerant policy on pets.They're technically not allowed but are accepted due to very compliant owners and great neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Really excited for you - my experience has been great despite some hiccups. I'm a dog person too but they're not allowed in my apartment complex and I really wanted a pet so went with a cat, as small pets are allowed.

Adopted from the usual shelter in Dublin. He picked us. He was there with his brother but he just stood out.

Unfortunately he's had some health problems which makes me worry sometimes about what might be down the line. We also werent informed when adopting that for the first 21 days we should go back to the shelter with any health problems so we went to a local vet (we assumed - we own him now, we must take responsibility) and incurred significant costs. However, the shelter did subsequently do some testing and care for us after UCD vet hospital told us we should go back to the shelter.

He is great form now, on a special diet, and we've set up pet insurance. My advice would be that even if you're offered 6 weeks free insurance, get it sorted yourself asap because we never heard anything even though we were supposed to get it.

You dont need to spend loads - get good quality food, a bed, couple of scratching posts, bowls, we went with a covered litter tray. We did end up going back and getting a small cat tree (€40) and he LOVES it.

He has been a real joy to have - enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement