Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous

Options
  • 09-03-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I hope to attend UL from next September!

I'm male and 18 years old. I don't drink and could be considered quite especially around new people. As I am not from Limerick I would have to move out and live in on or off campus accommodation. I don't think my budget stretches to on campus accommodation so it will probably be off campus if that makes any difference.

I am slightly apprehensive as to what college will be like if I don't drink. I know its inevitable I will be pressured into drinking at college and I'm wondering is this going to negatively affect my experience at college?

I have a friend who attended UL and she said it is like any college that there is a lot of drinking and that social life tends to revolve around drink. I would join a club or society and it's something she said she regrets not doing as it may have provided other social outlets that didn't involve alcohol. I'd probably be too shy to join one though by myself! :confused:

I'm just really nervous that I will feel segregated from everybody if I don't drink. Is there anything like a non drinkers society or anything because I keep envisioning four years of having no friends and no social life if i don't drink.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In your situation living in a managed block is probably best. On campus you can contact in advance and the village manager may be able to move you into a house with a 2nd/4th year "buddy" to help you acclimatise the first few weeks.

Once you start making friends (it'll happen from the time you first sit down for orientation) you won't need a buddy anymore. Not sure if Connect is still running, but the First 7 Weeks Programme and Hub should help with the settling in process.

You don't have to drink, in fact, you'll probably end up wanting to because you'll end up babbysitting drunken people too much as the sensible person, but it's fairly easy to just get a Lucozade or Fanta when everyone else is on the booze, it's more about the conversation than the drink.

So long as you pick subjects you like you'll never regret going to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oshea1234987

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I can't really afford any of the on campus apartments but I can afford some of the off campus purpose built student villages.

I like the course I want to do but its just the living by myself so far away with people I don't know and not drinking bit that is so intense.

What's the first seven weeks thing about?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

First Seven Weeks is a support programme UL run to ease the transition into university for new students.

If you're worried about living with strangers, it might be worth trying to find people you know who are also interested in going to UL and arranging a house-share with them. Friends from home, cousins, etc.

Don't let the drinking culture put you off, there are plenty of social opportunities that don't revolve around it. I drank very little as an undergrad as I was driving most of the time and it wasn't an issue with the people I hung out with.

I'd highly recommend getting involved in clubs and societies. There are over 70 of them to choose from so you've a good chance of finding one based around something you like doing. Have a look on www.ulwolves.ie if you want more information on C&S.

Bottom line, don't fret about it - you're not the first person to be a bit worried about starting university. Concentrate on doing a good Leaving Cert for now - you can worry about UL in August when you get your offer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oshea1234987

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I suppose your right I'll worry about it in August. I should get UL unless points rise considerably.

I'll take a look at those C&S's as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi OP
    I'm in third year and don't drink. I wouldn't worry about it. I still go out and all so it doesn't really affect me. With regards the babysitting thing, that's only if you get messy friends and even at that, there's a good chance you won't be left babysitting unless they're very bad. If you really don't wanna go out, C&S are your best bet for socializing.
    Going to college really isn't as big a deal as its made out to be. UL, I've found, have a great set up for incoming first years and everyone else starting is in the same boat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Do not let the fact that you don't drink get in the way of any of your decisions. I was like you when I came to college. I don't drink, I was very quiet and I didn't have much interest in going out.

2 years on I'm captain of the kayak club and have made loads of friends. Most people don't give a shít whether you drink or not. You're going to get the usual questions about why you don't drink etc etc but that's as far as it goes in my experience.

Join a club/society that interests you and get to know the people in it. If ye have similar interests they won't care if you have 2 heads, never mind not drinking.

I'm planning on going to UL in September too and I don't drink either, hate the whole going out thing too. We'll have to stick together! I'd feel really nervous joining clubs and societies too! I am planning on living in on-campus accommodation though and there was an option for an alcohol free apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I am planning on living in on-campus accommodation though and there was an option for an alcohol free apartment.

As far as I know, you can give a preference for an alcohol free apartment and the accommodation office will try house you with other people with that preference (same if you say you would prefer a single-sex house/ first-year only house/ non-smoking house etc) but it's not guaranteed - the earlier you get your request in the better though. Also, no-one will police it, but if everyone is of the same mindset regarding alcohol in the house, you should have no problem.

There's plenty to do in UL without drinking, there are loads of clubs and socs so you should get on just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 IrishLad1996

I don't drink at the moment. Filling out my application and I am wondering about this "Would you like to apply for a room in an Alcohol Free House?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I don't drink. You'll be fine.

You get loads of "ah fair play" when you tell people. Nobody will force you to drink, that's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 IrishLad1996

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I don't drink. You'll be fine.

You get loads of "ah fair play" when you tell people. Nobody will force you to drink, that's up to you.

Did you live in a house with drinkers or non-drinkers or does it really matter.
    Plassey or Killmurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't drink at the moment. Filling out my application and I am wondering about this "Would you like to apply for a room in an Alcohol Free House?"

Do you mind being around drunk people? If you don't, I wouldn't bother ticking it. That doesn't even mean being around drunk people, it probably just means there's a strictly no house parties/pre drinking rule on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Did you live in a house with drinkers or non-drinkers or does it really matter.
    Plassey or Killmurry?
    Elm Park with drinkers.

I'm in 4th year now and genuinely haven't had one person try pressure me. And if someone does ask do I want a drink, I nip it in the bud with a simple "nah I'm grand, I don't drink".

Advertisement