Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booking baby into a creche

Options
  • 10-03-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

My wife will be going back to work at the end of April. When do we need to go to the creche to make sure we have a spot?

She will be only going for 1 or 2 days and hoping we havent left it too late!

Also does anyones creche have issues with using cloth nappies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends where you live really and how busy the creche is.

My daughter was born on friday and I'll be popping into the creche this morning to stick her name down for september, and then start into the schools tomorrow. But I'm the kind of person who gets cold sweats if something isn't organised. :)

Phone them and see. Some creches have a 3 day minimum. Some don't. i wouldn't see any having a problem with cloth nappies as long as you provide supplies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I know in our creche they said they'd no problem with using any sort of nappies we provided, whether disposable or cloth. Best thing is to ring them and see, though.
    pwurple wrote: »
    My daughter was born on friday and I'll be popping into the creche this morning to stick her name down for september, and then start into the schools tomorrow. But I'm the kind of person who gets cold sweats if something isn't organised. :)

I'm similar ... my son is eight weeks old, we visited the creche a couple of months before he was born and he's already booked in and deposit paid (although he's not starting til July), and I am all antsy about the fact that he's not yet registered for primary school ... can't do it until he has a birth cert, can't get that sorted until my boyfriend gets a day off work to come and register him with me! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

So much less hassle in Ireland than in France!
    I put L on waiting lists on all the creches nearby before he was born. He was born early 2012. I got a call back from ONE creche in July 2013, with 2 days a week available from September 2013. And it's impossible to get a place if you are not both working. So lots of couples we know have to get nannies if they want to carry on working.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we will need a creche for March 2015, we are going to start visiting them in the next week

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the creche and 1 or 2 days can often be a lot harder to get then 3 or 5 .
    I put my daughter down in a city centre creche before she was born due to writings lists there but I know creches in other areas had spaces months later for the same dates .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I know in our creche they said they'd no problem with using any sort of nappies we provided, whether disposable or cloth. Best thing is to ring them and see, though.

I'm similar ... my son is eight weeks old, we visited the creche a couple of months before he was born and he's already booked in and deposit paid (although he's not starting til July), and I am all antsy about the fact that he's not yet registered for primary school ... can't do it until he has a birth cert, can't get that sorted until my boyfriend gets a day off work to come and register him with me! :o

OP I keep putting creche/minder thing off too and I am not back to work till september! On a side I am waiting till we get baptism cert till we register for primary as the forms ask for his religion? In our primary we even have to show either a gas/electricity bill to prove address lol lol!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

birth cert is usually enough to register for primary school.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    birth cert is usually enough to register for primary school.

I would of thought so too except in 2 of the primary schools we looked at! Our local one and another one that is not in our parish! Even if they have siblings in school you still need to show bill! It's because they get spots into very good "free" secondary schools. It's gone crazy since recession. In my own secondary school where I work there is a waiting list for 2023 and I have seen it with my own eyes! It's south dublin madness. If we pay fees we have loads and loads of choices! I know though there is talk of admissions policies changing but I reckon schools of a minority religion will still be allowed to keep there's even if changes come in!

That is crazy,we have a primary school fiasco here but there is auto entry to a really good secondary.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is crazy,we have a primary school fiasco here but there is auto entry to a really good secondary.

You are so lucky :) I too hope I haven't left childminding too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Thanks guys. We will contact them asap. We dont know from a week to week basis whixh3 days she will be attending so it could be awkward.
    We already have her pre registered for thr local educate together school, that was priority as she wont be christened and will not be attending a religious school.

Thanks for all replies!

Advertisement