Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23 things you’ll only know if you went to University College Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I graduated from my first masters in 2009. Im back doing another one at the moment. Its very different. The biggest thing that hit me is the relatively complete lack of society events on campus.

"Back in my day" we had to be in every thursday at 7:30 for a poster race because if you didnt get your society posters on the wall then you could forget about it. Now all week long the notice boards are practically empty except for the odd L&H thing. Mental stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The craic is pretty bad now actually. Left the place in 2009 and I've only been back for work stuff for a couple of weeks at a time. The craic definitely isn't the same. I noticed that with the posters as well Riamfada, used to be always something on regardless of society or anything but now it's just the sort of 'big debates' that the L&H or Law Soc run. Even the evening times during the week are pretty bad, it was nearly always that you'd start off a session in the forum bar, it wasn't great but it did the job (although the pints could have been a lot cheaper!). Just thinking back there now actually, some great sessions in the forum bar (e.g. Saw Doctors, Coronas, remnants of the Wolfe Tones, even Republic of Loose), just mad craic so it was! Ah to be 19 again! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Ok, excuse my ignorance but where is the egg statue!!!? I've asked my firends and they didnt know either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

UCD died a death with the Student Union fiasco.

Events and craic just aren't the same and there was a big break in culture from sutdents associating campus as the fun place to be when virtually all facilities were gone, and since coming back just aren't the same as people really just go off campus now.

Also complete lack of funding means societies are dying a death too.

But, on the plus side, at least some people got to launder 10's of thousands of euro into personal possession out of the SU accounts each year for the best part of a decade bankrupting the society and affecting hundreds of thousands of students behind them - it was a clique life fund provided by the tax payers and abused and mismanaged with reckless abandonment and contempt! The university is equally to blame for assuming students could be adults and the "fine families" of students would mean they weren't thieves and scumbags.

Everything should be centralised in UCD imo and to hell with the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

haro124 wrote: »
    Ok, excuse my ignorance but where is the egg statue!!!? I've asked my firends and they didnt know either

Up in between the new Science centre (East is it?!?) and O'Reilly hall. There's a new statue out by Law too which is a bit odd to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Random piece of info: apparently the egg is called Noah's Egg. No idea why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Riamfada wrote: »
    I graduated from my first masters in 2009. Im back doing another one at the moment. Its very different. The biggest thing that hit me is the relatively complete lack of society events on campus.

"Back in my day" we had to be in every thursday at 7:30 for a poster race because if you didnt get your society posters on the wall then you could forget about it. Now all week long the notice boards are practically empty except for the odd L&H thing. Mental stuff.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I participated in a couple of those poster races too, once upon a time! Well, I had my day.. My only regret is not getting involved in more societies, and sooner. I was a shy 19 year old, but being there did begin to get me out and about more.

I remember the undercooked chips in the student bar we'd scoff during study weeks, and despite the impending stomach pains we'd come back the next day for more, hoping they were cooked that day! (they weren't)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

kingcobra wrote: »
    Up in between the new Science centre (East is it?!?) and O'Reilly hall. There's a new statue out by Law too which is a bit odd to say the least!

Its not his fault, its very cold out. Its usually much bigger.

Advertisement