Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cynic - Kindly Bent To Free Us

• 10-03-2014 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Really, really enjoying this.

I had read some reviews saying they had strayed from the metal path (much less distortion and no screamed vocals, etc.) and so was expecting something much closer to Aeon Spoke but it’s still within the real of ‘progressive’ metal and still very much Cynic.

I came across a recent interview with Sean Reinert talking about his career and, naturally, the new album:

Interestingly, Reinert states that he nearly always dictates what the bass guitar will be playing when he composes his parts. The bass on the new album is probably one of the best things about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, been looking forward to the new album but still haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Loved Traced In Air and Carbon Based Anatomy EP didn't enamour me as much as I would have expected it to. Considering the standard of musicianship that they accomplished on the first two albums the expectations are high.

That video isn't showing btw. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I like it but Traced in Air is one of my favourites so the expectation was a bit too high.I'm not mad on some of the production,It seems less expansive and "spacey" to me than TIA.Not really bothered by the lack of growls or heaviness.Infinite Shapes is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I love it and it seems a fairly logical progression from Traced In Air to Carbon Based Anatomy and through to this. I like the lack of screamed vocals. I wasn't enamored with them on TIA and thought they were kinda thrown in and buried amongst the clean and vocoder vocals as a link to Focus. The production emphasises the bass much more than before and you find yourself being drawn into it in a big way. The guitar work as always is stellar. Compositionally a bit more straight up than previous efforts, perhaps, but the spacey jazz prog works just fine for these ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I've loved all of their stuff from focus on (including the Aeon Spoke stuff) and I got the progression - it took me a few listens to get into the Groove of Carbon Based Anatomy but when I did I loved it. I've been listening to Kindly Bent to free us for about 3 weeks now and still cang get into it. I'll stick with it another while though and hopefully it will just click.

Advertisement