Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stay or go home!!

Options
  • 10-03-2014 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all! Hoping for some advice or thoughts on this dilemma!

Myself and partner of 10 years are living in Oz for last year and a half..second working hol visa is up in September. Partner is an electrician but finding it difficult to get steady work in Melbourne. I am a primary teacher with 3 yr degree..meaning I can only do relief teaching in Vic and NSW..cannot do any sort of teaching in WA (lived in Perth for a yr)
    I have gotten 1 day of relief work in the last 6 weeks..bored and poor!

I am on career break from school at home and want to go back for Sept 2014. Partner on other hand wants to go for PR and stay another year..he has said we can go home after another year and at least we'd have some cash behind us. I think it is a waste to pay for and have PR only for one more year and I really don't think I can hack being a relief teacher for that long.

Am I being unreasonable? If we apply for PR and don't get it we will have to go home in Sept and then neither of us will have work! Obviously I don't want my partner to have nothing at home, I do understand where he's coming from and we really want it to be a joint decision we're both happy with..although one of us will have to compromise!

Any thoughts are welcome as we are so confused!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

if both of you are finding it hard to get work how are you getting PR?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Morning!
    If you are struggling to get work what cash will you have behind you to go home? Do you not need to be back for Sept 2014 or you will lose your job? (i don't know much about career breaks) Hope you get more work soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Are you going back to a job in Ireland in September so? I think that is worth it, my OH also has a job to go back to in January 2015 so I'm going back to unemployment (probably) but at least one of us will have a wage!
    I'm no expert but wouldn't PR cost a few thousand dollars? that is money better transferred home and used to get setup, if you both struggle for work how much could you save in a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tonagh

we won't really have any money behind us going home..it would just be a case of saving what we can between now and then. Yes I would have to be back for Sept 2014 which is what I would like to do..I have applied for a career break for school year 2014/2015..I can retract that but would only have another couple of weeks to do that so need to make a decision! Thanks for replies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

If you don't have anything to show for a year and half, i think if i were you i would cut the losses and go home at least one of you will have full time work.
    Easier said that done though, if you can get the career break and stay on without getting into debt then at worst you're just spending another year in OZ which over a lifetime i doubt you would regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Melbourne is notoriously slow at the minute for trades, possibly won't pick up for a while.
    If you can teach in NSW maybe its a better option?

Ye might never get the chance to live away again after you return home to the "normal" things. Exhaust your avenues while your young. Relatively speaking, 1 more year is not a long time.

Everyone who has WHVs or whatever experiences some low points from time to time.

Anyway best of luck, whatever you do, do it together, resent is like rust, it takes a while to surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tonagh

Bladebrew they are my thoughts exactly. I would be going home to full time employment. I want to use any money we can make between now and September to set up at home..the cost of PR would help us a lot at home..think my partner has some idea of perfect job coming along soon and us making millions:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

tonagh wrote: »
    Bladebrew they are my thoughts exactly. I would be going home to full time employment. I want to use any money we can make between now and September to set up at home..the cost of PR would help us a lot at home..think my partner has some idea of perfect job coming along soon and us making millions:rolleyes:

It's a tricky one though if your partner won't agree to it, I'm happy because we will at least have a full time wage while I find a job,but has your partner looked at the cost of PR maybe that will scare him! I certainly don't think it's unreasonable to go home to a guaranteed job, and it is a lot of money for only an extra year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Talk about it. Set a time to make a decision, in a month or so. If things aren't shaping up, then start preparations for returning home. I would be inclined to get the PR lined up in any case if you can, as it will enable you to return if things back in IRL don't pan out (I wouldn't be counting on the Dept. of Ed for anything these days, and he'll end up in London or Manchester for Sparky work)
    At least you've still got options. I can understand people who have PR getting cold feet and wanting to give home a try before committing to long term permanent relocation, but you need to reconcile your priorities with your partner, its not all about money, unless you have none.

Can I ask again how you are lining up PR if you are on a WHV and getting no work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Which PR are you talking about paying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

danotroy wrote: »
    Can I ask again how you are lining up PR if you are on a WHV and getting no work?

Most likely a skilled visa since her partner is a sparky.....Next!!

top madra wrote: »
    Most likely a skilled visa since her partner is a sparky.....Next!!

could this not be applied for from ireland?

danotroy wrote: »
    could this not be applied for from ireland?

Yes, but from what I gathered from reading the thread the BF wants to apply for PR so he can stay on for another year and then go home.

What have you been reading?

top madra wrote: »
    Yes, but from what I gathered from reading the thread the BF wants to apply for PR so he can stay on for another year and then go home.

What have you been reading?

If work is uncertain in oz at least they can go home, apply for PR, he can pick up work in the uk shorterm.
    It just sounds like the easier option to suffering precarious finances and being broke in the sun.

catbear wrote: »
    If work is uncertain in oz at least they can go home, apply for PR, he can pick up work in the uk shorterm.
    It just sounds like the easier option to suffering precarious finances and being broke in the sun.

While I don't disagree with you, I think the pair of you are missing the point of the thread..

This is what I picked up..

She wants to go home in Sept,
    He wants to apply for PR so they can stay a extra year and then head home..

She doesn't know what to do because if he can't get PR or work he will have blown their cash trying..

I don't think this thread is about going home, saving cash and coming back.

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I don't think you are reading it wrong. Your version is correct. However its kind of a nonsensical dilemma that the op is facing. Why does he want to stay for just one more year? Why not just go to canada or NZ if you are certain it will only be another year it works out a lot cheaper and you have a much better chance of getting a WHV in either country.

Maybe he likes it here....

I dunno!

If it's only a matter of working another year then he'd be better of trying to get a 457 sponsor, at least he'd be able to cash in his super as as he's leaving in the end.
    Danotroy has the best solution, head to NZ for another WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

go to NZ or Canada??:roll eyes:
    they never mentioned either, maybe try focusing the advice on Australia, the country OP has a dilemma about!

• Advertisement

they never mentioned either, maybe try focusing the advice on Australia, the country OP has a dilemma about!

These are more viable options that applying for PR. The situation the OP described is that they are going to be spending 1000's of dollars and then leaving probably before the PR is even granted. Really flushing money down the drain type of carry on. If they go to NZ or canada it would cost less than $3000 to relocated and get visas and they would get another 2 years in either country.

From what I read it's not just about Australia, it's also about her going back to Ireland to retake a job. If his intention was just to stay another year with an undefined notion of obtaining PR then it's certainly more about him just not wanting to return to poor work prospects and less to do about Australia in particular which is why NZ was proffered as a realistic alternative.

Advertisement