Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frost

• 10-03-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

i sow carrots, cauliflowers, radish/turnips and all veg possible last monday in our back garden

today we woke up to a mighty frost and seemingly for the next couple of days

Are my seeds all dead?

will i have to put more seeds down when the frost is finished?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Maybe, maybe not. When sowing you are best to either wait until the soil has warmed up or better still sow your seeds in modules or trays in the house. Sowing indoors protects them from frost - bring them on and plant them out when the soil and weather in general is warmer.
    The one thing you cant get back is time. If you wait around a month just to confirm your seed is dead then you've lost valuable time this year. So hedge your bets and sow more seeds now indoors. You can use any fairly shallow (2 inch deep) container. Those plastic berry boxes or take away trays work well. Or modules and trays are cheap to buy in hardware stores/garden centres/Lidl/Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

zamo27 wrote: »
    i sow carrots, cauliflowers, radish/turnips and all veg possible last monday in our back garden

today we woke up to a mighty frost and seemingly for the next couple of days

Are my seeds all dead?

will i have to put more seeds down when the frost is finished?

Carrots should be grand.

Cauliflowers, radish/turnips all should be sown in seed pots at this time of year.
    I have mine in trays under a plastic tunnel i got for 22 euro.
    All ensure you leave alot of room for the cauliflower, as they are quiet big.

Advertisement