Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Un-marked cars.....

• 10-03-2014 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

So we're driving along the N11 last evening when my mirror is all full of flashing lights and speed.....a silver D reg BMW screams by...they approach a land rover who's hogging the outside lane, it must have been 500 yds before it pulled over, and on they went.....anyone seen this car before...??? I'm usually good at spottong garda cars but i was takenaback by this one....
    Another thing i thought, the blue lights were mounted/hidden in the grill..this might explain why the rover took so long to pull over, probably thought ":rolleyes:..another self-important BMW driver"......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Have seen that one a Couple of times. Last week on the m50 I was passed by a black a8 2012 I think with the same set up of hidden lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

They have a whole lot of different makes/models these days.

They have fords, Kia, Volvo, Audi, BMW, fiat, skoda, Hyundai and lots more .

They sometimes do be in none Dublin reg cars also.
    They could be in anything at all these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

There is also a nice Audi Q8 Jeep in black with blacked out windows. Looks more like a swat team van than an unmarked garda vehicle :D

Probably "donated" by some drug dealer somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ever think it was not the PO PO at all, but some clown acting the maggot with blue lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Ever think it was not the PO PO at all, but some clown acting the maggot with blue lights?

I've heard of quite a few cases of this happening. An dubious unmarked car with flashing lights does not make a Garda, theres no way I'm pulling over for them without seeing a badge first. I had one attempted bike jacking and dont fancy another :mad:

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    I've heard of quite a few cases of this happening. An dubious unmarked car with flashing lights does not make a Garda, theres no way I'm pulling over for them without seeing a badge first. I had one attempted bike jacking and dont fancy another :mad:

EXACTLY, unless its the ERU and they have a GLOCK pointing at my head from the car lol. In fairness you dont have to pull over for an unmarked car but you do have to acknowledge that you have seen them. You can then drive to the nearest garda station and stop. If in a car you should ring 999 and report the situation and then can clarify in seconds if the unmarked car is legit.

This is more so for women then men, as a few years ago there was a car going around rural areas pretending to be a police and sexually assaulting women a number or women. Them police lights can be bought anywhere....that look good enough to fool alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Sister lives in Sligo she has spotted the guards driving around in a suped up civic. Tryin to catch the boy racers. She only new they were guards as a uniformed one got out at Supervalu in grange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

How long before youre pulled over by a cop on a Panigale who youve been scratching with....;).....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

How long before youre pulled over by a cop on a Panigale who youve been scratching with....;).....

There are plenty of unmarked bikes in the UK. Busa's and the like. Now there is a job I would do for free.

I know for a fact that the Gardai have at least 10 Suzuki GSXR1000's in their stables with the hidden lights and sh!te on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know for a fact that the Gardai have at least 10 Suzuki GSXR1000's in their stables with the hidden lights and sh!te on them.

Any ideas what they would be using them for ? I can understand the idea of unmarked cars being covert for detectives carrying out undercover operations but am scratching my head as to a scenario arising where a bike is the better tool to use to prevent some crime. I suppose if they had a tip off that a bank robbery was to go down using a motorbike for a pursuit through traffic would be the way to go but in the event of a pursuit are Garda motorcycle riders allowed to pursue or is that considered too dangerous ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Any ideas what they would be using them for ? I can understand the idea of unmarked cars being covert for detectives carrying out undercover operations but am scratching my head as to a scenario arising where a bike is the better tool to use to prevent some crime. I suppose if they had a tip off that a bank robbery was to go down using a motorbike for a pursuit through traffic would be the way to go but in the event of a pursuit are Garda motorcycle riders allowed to pursue or is that considered too dangerous ?

They've been known to dress up like couriers etc so you've got me. Possibly to mingle with the power rangers at ride outs or shows etc. No one would suspect a lad on a Gixer and race leathers of being a Garda.

They've been known to dress up like couriers etc so you've got me. Possibly to mingle with the power rangers at ride outs or shows etc. No one would suspect a lad on a Gixer and race leathers of being a Garda.

Sure there are many a copper on here and other forums with fast bikes "Mingling" already. Dont need to waste tax payers money on a fleet of GSXR's. That been said they would be there in an unofficial capacity.....then again are they ever "OFF DUTY" ;)

Have you actually seen these or just been told about them? I know a recently retired guard who worked in the garage repairing the garda bikes and some of their special equipment, ill ask him when I see him which will probably later today or tomorrow when he picks up a couple of vans off me. He should know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

Trebob wrote: »
    Sister lives in Sligo she has spotted the guards driving around in a suped up civic. Tryin to catch the boy racers. She only new they were guards as a uniformed one got out at Supervalu in grange.

good to know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Having checked out etenders, the only tenders for Garda Motorcycles recently would have procured the Deauville's. I'm doubtful they have 10 Gixxers.

My guy agrees, he said unless they were bought in the last year they don’t have them. They do howeve have some bandits for low key work he said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Used to be a few unmarked Pan's in the early 00's, but I doubt any are still on the road. There are still a few unmarked 600 bandits alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Be a bit handy at it some of them :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

aaakev wrote: »
    My guy agrees, he said unless they were bought in the last year they don’t have them. They do howeve have some bandits for low key work he said!

That's how covert these Gixxers are, they are so undercover even the mechanics know nothing of them and they don't show up on e-tenders. But they're out there somewhere, unmarked and ready to get ya !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Add alfa to the list of unmarked cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You should write for MCN :pac:

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    You should write for MCN :pac:

Emmmm, okaaay :o

I sorta do ;)

Advertisement