Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore paws

• 10-03-2014 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Phoe has always suffered with his skin and recently he has been chewing his paws a lot. There is some redness and swelling on the pads. We've been to the vet and are following his instructions and washing him with a medicated shampoo regularly. While we are waiting for this to work, is there anything else we can to to ease the itch. Should I stop him chewing and biting or let him if it's giving some relief. Maybe a half a piriton?

Suggestions appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Aloe Vera is great for helping sooth (cooling effect) damaged paws, it also helps repairs too.

When needed I get in the health food stores, has to be 100% Aloe Vera gel, so it’s safe for dogs if (when) they try and lick it off!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

If you bring your dog to the Beach, the salt water is great for any paw minor infections. It worked for mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

you can get a product called paw guard its like a very thick version of Vaseline the active ingredient I think is lanolin
    I got it some years back when 1 of my springers got sore paws

I don't know if still available its made by a company called four paws products ltd

I have a little left in a tin if you want to pm me your details I will post to you to try out no charge of course

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Paws-100202118-Guard-1-75/dp/B000OPBGJU

have a look at the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks JimF - they sell similar in work so I can pick it up there if you think it's worth it. Poor fella, I feel so bad for him. Another bath this evening.

Trafficbug, I'd go to the beach but I've a boring old fart of a husband who complains about the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks JimF - they sell similar in work so I can pick it up there if you think it's worth it. Poor fella, I feel so bad for him. Another bath this evening.

Trafficbug, I'd go to the beach but I've a boring old fart of a husband who complains about the sand.

your welcome

I found it helped my little one big time she was a single birth litter and was very plump getting all the milk for herself (greedy little bitch) so was putting a lot of pressure on her tender little pads and they were very sore and red vet advised to try this and it worked great it kind of acts as a barrier and helps restore the moisture back to the pads so ive been told

• Advertisement
Advertisement