Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for extending alarm system to garage at rear of garden

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how to go about the following. We're getting a garage put down the end of the garden and I was thinking of ways to alarm it. I was initially thinking of getting a wireless alarm and just shoving it in but I'm not too sure about that.

As we're going to be connecting the mains power to the breaker board in the house anyway I thought we might as well extend our current system to the new build while we're at it. We currently have a HKC system with a Securewatch panel, about 13 years old but I'm way out of touch with alarm tech these days.

Will it be as simple as creating an additional zone and wiring up the build with inertia sensors, PIRs etc ? Can a smoke alarm be added to trigger the alarm if it detects smoke ?

Regarding the issue of someone ever cutting the cabling in the trunking going to the build, I guess that will trigger the alarm anyway as part of the anti-tampering functionality ? e.g. I went to open one of the inertia sensors one days without entering the engineers code and set the alarm off, if the system detects if zone has been removed will it do the same thing ?

And finally, adding a dialler, if I wanted to do so would I have to replace the control panel or can it just be added ?

Any other suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how to go about the following. We're getting a garage put down the end of the garden and I was thinking of ways to alarm it. I was initially thinking of getting a wireless alarm and just shoving it in but I'm not too sure about that.

As we're going to be connecting the mains power to the breaker board in the house anyway I thought we might as well extend our current system to the new build while we're at it. We currently have a HKC system with a Securewatch panel, about 13 years old but I'm way out of touch with alarm tech these days.

Will it be as simple as creating an additional zone and wiring up the build with inertia sensors, PIRs etc ? Can a smoke alarm be added to trigger the alarm if it detects smoke ?

Regarding the issue of someone ever cutting the cabling in the trunking going to the build, I guess that will trigger the alarm anyway as part of the anti-tampering functionality ? e.g. I went to open one of the inertia sensors one days without entering the engineers code and set the alarm off, if the system detects if zone has been removed will it do the same thing ?

And finally, adding a dialler, if I wanted to do so would I have to replace the control panel or can it just be added ?

Any other suggestions ?

A wire can be ran to the garage to cover what you need providing you have the free zones. You can also add a quick bridge to your current system providing you have the extra free zones. If you dont then an expander can be added if not already done. Another option is to upgrade your system to a hybrid system. This will utilize all the wired zones you have plus give you the ability to add wire free devices to your system. Smoke detectors and all safety devices need there own zone. A dialer can be added, depending on the type of HKC system you have will determine the one most suitable to your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cheers Altor, I'm pretty sure we have a couple of zones free, I think we're only using 4 at the moment. Is there a quick and easy way to check what model system we have via the control panel without having to open up the box ? I tried a couple of the default engineer codes and all I managed to do was set of the alarm due to a code tamper event ?

Cheers Altor, I'm pretty sure we have a couple of zones free, I think we're only using 4 at the moment. Is there a quick and easy way to check what model system we have via the control panel without having to open up the box ? I tried a couple of the default engineer codes and all I managed to do was set of the alarm due to a code tamper event ?

You would need to open the control panel to see what PCB is there. If it has 6 zones its a 6/10. 8 zones would indicate an 8/12.

The engineer code was more than likely changed by the installer. If you P.M me who installed the system I will check my list to see if I have the code you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Opened up the unit and it appears I have a 6/10 with one zone free, that should manage adding the garage as an additional zone at the very least won't it ?

Opened up the unit and it appears I have a 6/10 with one zone free, that should manage adding the garage as an additional zone at the very least won't it ?

Just depends on what you plan to add to the garage?
    With the 6/10 you can add a 4 zone expander.
    Another option is to add point ID sensors, you can use 10 on one zone and have different types, options and setting for each device. You would need engineer access to the alarm to add these, same with the expander and to change zone type of the free zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

You'd want to make sure that disarming your alarm when you get home, should leave your garage armed, since it wouldn't be used as much as your home.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PeteK* wrote: »
    You'd want to make sure that disarming your alarm when you get home, should leave your garage armed, since it wouldn't be used as much as your home.

Agreed. Split system is the better option for a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

I am looking to do something similar, i have a hkc 8/12 panel with one free zone. Have a cat5 cable going underground 50m to the garage.

My question is can i fit a 4 zone expander to this one free zone, put the expander card in garage?

If so can i then put a seperate keypad to arm and disarm just the garage or will the whole alarm have to be armed. Can the garage and shed be seperatelly armed using the same panel??

s_gr wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to do something similar, i have a hkc 8/12 panel with one free zone. Have a cat5 cable going underground 50m to the garage.

My question is can i fit a 4 zone expander to this one free zone, put the expander card in garage?

If so can i then put a seperate keypad to arm and disarm just the garage or will the whole alarm have to be armed. Can the garage and shed be seperatelly armed using the same panel??

The expander gets wired into the keypad bus on the 8/12. It can be put into a tamper box in the garage to wire the sensors off.
    You can use the same keypad just different codes for the different areas on the system.

Advertisement