Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might be moving to Dublin

Options
  • 10-03-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey, I got a job interview coming up in dublin and I feel I have a great chance on getting the job (Hopefully). Im 20 and will be moving up with my GF. What sites are best to find places to rent in the city? Would I get somewhere decent for 600 a month? I have more questions that I'll ask as I remember them :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

irishrook wrote: »
    Hey, I got a job interview coming up in dublin and I feel I have a great chance on getting the job (Hopefully). Im 20 and will be moving up with my GF. What sites are best to find places to rent in the city? Would I get somewhere decent for 600 a month? I have more questions that I'll ask as I remember them :P

You might get a nice room for €600 a month but if you want to live anywhere near the city centre and not be sharing you are looking at €800/€900 even for a studio. Where abouts in Dublin is the job? Best look at areas that are easy to commute to and from and then figure out which of those areas are the nicest! If you are in the city centre I would look around Rathmines, Ranelagh, Harolds Cross that sort of area easy to get in and nice enough areas. We're looking at moving soon and its tough to find somewhere nice for less than about €1100 a month near the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishrook

Near Google at the grand canal dock I believe. I wouldn't mind living outside the city as long as the commit doesn't take more then 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

You won't get a decent place by yourself for 600. You'll get a very nice share for that or less. Look as soon as you have the job, it's fairly tough.

Near Google at the grand canal dock I believe. I wouldn't mind living outside the city as long as the commit doesn't take more then 45 minutes.

With 45 minutes you have plenty of options then. Have a look along the dart line that would be handy for you there loads of nice places to live there along the coast. Kiliney, Dalkey, Monkstown places like that not sure what the prices are like out there but would expect them to still be pretty high.

jimmii wrote: »
    With 45 minutes you have plenty of options then. Have a look along the dart line that would be handy for you there loads of nice places to live there along the coast. Kiliney, Dalkey, Monkstown places like that not sure what the prices are like out there but would expect them to still be pretty high.

I'll take a look along the dart line, thanks.

• Advertisement

I'll take a look along the dart line, thanks.

no bother. good luck with the interview.

http://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/merrion-road-ballsbridge-dublin-4/2753274
    hmm, that apartment looks to be only a 10 minute cycle from where I would be working. Looks a little too good to be true? :l

Edit: In fact there seems to be many posted on that site that would fit my requirements and budget.
    http://www.myhome.ie/rentals/dublin/property-to-rent?maxprice=700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

hmm, that apartment looks to be only a 10 minute cycle from where I would be working. Looks a little too good to be true? :l

Edit: In fact there seems to be many posted on that site that would fit my requirements and budget.

Looks too good to be true IMO.

I love how it says beneath "Email landlord", "Beware of fraudulent ads".

I wouldn't be surprised and instead of 620 a month, it is 260 a week. For that area, that would make more sense. Or maybe it is 620 per room. That or it is a fraudulent ad looking to catch you out somehow.

By all means call or email them, but be very weary.

If I was you I would use daft.ie and set up email notifications for the areas and price you are interested in.

Definitely too good to be true. €620 a month there is ridiculously cheap I would approach with caution! I wouldn't be surprised if per month was meant to be per week.

Same with this one
    http://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/poolbeg-st-south-city-centre-dublin-2/2761364

€600 a month for that? Seriously? I am guessing someone entering these has just made a mistake with the pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ad removed as fraudulent. First recommended 1 bed listed as an alternative is 1600 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

As other posters already pointed out, there is a very slim chance to get something in that price bracket on your own. Bedsits or studios are going for 650 and more and I don't know about you but sharing a place like it doesn't sound suitable for me.

It seems half the population and their mother is looking for rentals in dublin at the moment so rents are going up like mad. Did you look like Ashborne, Clonee, Dunshaughling, Arklow, Bettystown, Drogheda maybe. There seem to be a couple of lower priced properties in Donabate, Rush and Lusk and Skerries.

Have your references up to date, if you get the job make sure you get something in writing from you boss to confirm that you have work, deposit sorted etc. The competition is though at the moment. Good luck.

As for the myhome.ie add above, if you send a mail you probably get a response by a Keith M. a fake name that causes a lot of grief for a lot of people in various countries. He will tell you that he is on business somwhere and has a company sorted to take care of rental arrangement, you pay deposit and company will give you the key, of course that's all bogus and you are left without money. Also if you do a picture search on google you might find that the apartment pics are taken from some holiday rental site. First thing I do when ad seem to be to good to be true.

Been looking at area's outside the city and if anything they are more expensive :/, Might consider kildare. The job I'm going for isn't high paying but its 100 times better then anything ill get here in the west and Im already friends with who my boss will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP I would avoid commuting. Its ridiculously expensive and you can hours on public transport everyday. Thinking you are saving €100 a month on rent, but you end paying for public transport for you and your girlfriend.

Daft is your only opinion. Myhome isn't really used by private landlords. There is no point picking an area and saying I only want to live there. You literally have to just look for anything in dublin city

Advertisement