Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To mark Powering Rewards, 40" Smart TV to be won with Electric Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I once rewarded a girl named Una with an ice-cream cone for having such a brilliant name.

That'll be one TV please.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Friend helped me do some work and wouldn't take any money for it. Got him a voucher .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Found a stolen tv under a bush in housing estate - phone the good ol Gardai and they came and collected it and took my details...

A year layer I sort of got my reward - a phone call from the Gardai who told me that nobody had called to claim the tv so it was now mine... I duly collect my bush that was found in the bushes... It was old but it did a turn in my bed room as a young boy it was a big thing to have your own tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

When I won just €2 in a scratch card, I was over the moon cause it was my first time...hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I drove an elderly neighbour to the post office every week for a couple of years to collect her pension & do her grocery shopping until she became ill & later died in a nursing home.

To my surprise & delight I got a letter from her solicitor informing me that she had left me €2000 in her will. Not only was it a wonderful unexpected reward, but it also came at a time when it really came in handy as our home had been flooded the week before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I was having a very tough time at work I felt at a very low ebb was overworked, overwhelmed and feeling very disgruntled that I was doing a lot more and working at a higher level than more senior colleagues - out of the blue I was rewarded with a €50 voucher as an exceptional performance award.

I was delighted it came just before Christmas and at least I felt valued and appreciated.
    swiftblade wrote: »
    Any time I pass an exam at college with a decent mark too. Better than birthdays and Christmases combined.

Speaking of birthdays. It's mine on the 18th of March. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. :P

It's my birthday this week too ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Got a  monetary reward for passing my Uni exams many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

when we were in primary school we had a teacher who would reward a perfect spelling test with fruit pastilles or lollypops, 

needless to say we all got perfect results in our spellings that year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was so well behaved getting my flu shot the nurse rewarded me with a lollypop and a bravery sticker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I regularly rewarded my dog with attention and / or biscuits while training her where to do her business. To this day she still pee's and poo's outside so you could say we've both been rewarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kphayes2

I was rewarded for not giving up, when my son was diagnosed with Autism and I thought he would never speak, I was rewarded the day he started to talk. never shuts up now, happy days, that's all the reward I need

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

It was the summer of 02' and World cup fever was imbue
    The country was gone mad for the boys in green - Duff and Keane to name a few

The Junior Cert exams were finished and I felt diminished, so I went in search of food
    Not far from the bus stop, I ran into the shop for a snickers I was in the mood

I gobbled it up and got on the bus, to get home and see the boys in green perform
    But when I looked at that wrapper again I saw something more than the norm

For my eyes lit up on that bus journey - it read

"Congratulations!! You've just won an Irish Jersey!'

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Talked to a homeless guy in Orlando, gave him a few dollars for his troubles, and he rewarded me with the local bus number for the airport and told us where the bus stop was us........saving us $60 on a taxi.

Really unique person to talk to, served in the military and spend his day in the library to get away from the heat, you could tell he was mad for reading and learning! Really enjoyed my encounter with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I rewarded myself with a pint last friday after work for a week well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

I won a 2 night stay with eflow rewards last year and we enjoyed a great stay in Blarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I rewarded my daughter for becoming Open champion by letting her cut her hair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I once spotted some criminals hiding stuff in bushes near my home and reported it to the Gardai. My reward was to keep the gear as it was unclaimed for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Got a dog from a rescue home, my reward was a great friend for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sandrat

Last year a really wet cold night , I heard a bang outside the house and went to investigate. Outside a father was towing his sons car and the tow anchor had snapped causing the sons car to crash (slowly) into the dad's car. After about an hour in the lashing freezing rain using chains and hooks and torches we finally managed to get the tow attached and actually got the car started after a run around a car park. The next day the boys mother called in with a bottle of wine. Turned out they were trying to get the car going to get the young lad to the airport. Reward was totally unexpected but much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Working in retail is usually a thankless job, where you deal with people who treat you very poorly. When I used to work in a phone store, many moons ago and before "data"was anyway big, I used to set up peoples phones for emails and like. One of the guys who I helped, had a UK business, but spent most of his time in Dublin. He had a big convaluted device, that required a stylus to be used on it. He said he had gone everywhere and nobody was able to help him. I sat down with him and went through the phone and managed to figure out how to get his email working. He was extremely happy and left thanking me a massive amount. He came in about 15 minutes later, with a bottle of wine and an envelope. There was €50 in the envelope and a thank you card. He had already gone, and I really didn’t want the money (I was happy to help). Decided to bring all my work colleagues out for a drink with the €50. They were really happy too! Always important to pay it forward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Well I've a couple of platinums on the PS3, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I was rewarded by my girlfriend for bringing her to see a musical.  :pac:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Reward everyone I meet with my presence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

When we were kids, my sister & I were walking down the Main Street of our local town. We found a wallet with £350 in it. We brought it in to the garda station. Later that day, a woman arrived at the door & gave us £10 each as a reward, which was a lot of money back in 1987. The poor woman was delighted we brought it into the Garda station as she'd been distraught looking for it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

My wife always does an awful lot for me so I'm rewarding her with a nice little holiday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

My greatest reward, is simply helping another person.
    When I was in college my mother set up a B&B to help pay some of the bills, since my father passed away. She was out for the day and we had no one in so I was enjoying all that sun last summer. I was sitting on a bench out front when two cars pulled up, one of the cars was having issues. They were from the UK judging by the number plates so I walked over and asked if they needed a hand or any phone numbers for garages. They were trying to using a mobile to ring one and had no luck so I asked if they would like to use our land line. They were very thankful for this and I brought out the wireless phone. A woman was leaning against one of the cars fanning herself as she talked to someone in the back of another. I walked over and asked if they would like a drink or anything, just then the man came back and asked if his elderly mother could sit inside as he saw our small dining room. I opened it all up and invited them in. He asked his mother if she wanted something and then asked me if I could prepare her some lunch and a drink. I was honestly a lil taken aback at this because my mother usually does the breakfasts and all that. I went on the kitchen and called my younger sister down from upstairs, updating her on what happened she laughed at me. I was frantically running around the kitchen trying to find something for a lunch. I opted or a ham and cheese sandwich. My sister helped by preparing tea and coffee for our guests while I did the food. When ready we went out and served up the sandwiches and drinks. We have a small TV in there so I turned it onto the news and stepped out again with my sister. We were chatting in the kitchen when the man came to the door. He thanked us for helping his mother and allowing him to use the phone. He asked how much his bill was, I looked at him blankly and asked what bill? He said for the food of course, he had't checked the menu so was unsure on our prices. I then realised, he thought we were a cafe, I explained we are only a B&B and he looked shocked. He apologised for the misunderstanding and when I said he didn't need to pay anything he kept trying to give us money. In the end I shooed him out without accepting anything it was only a couple sandwiches and some water for the drinks. They said their good byes when the garage sent a lorry to pick them up. My sister offered to clean up and she came to me a few min later with €50 and a note which I still have today, it simply reads "This is the last day of our holiday, we were just heading to the ferry when this happened. My mother has diabetes and we missed breakfast in the rush, we thought we could stop a few miles up the road to get something to eat. You welcomed us into your home, thank you very much from all of us. You would not accept any payment so now you'll have to!"

While writing this I realised another time which I think is even more rewarding for myself and my family. We had a next door neighbour who worked as a plumber, when we were having issues we asked him round. I have always lived by "never mix business and friendship" but we were desperate. The plumber if you could even call him that ended up costing is over €5,000 in repairs because he burst a pipe upstairs and then drenched the ceiling below, it caused the ceiling to fall down on top of my mothers sofa. It completely ruined it and some objects around it. We were outraged and as you would have guessed we did not like the man there after. When someone moved into a house a couple doors down they used him as well. They did have issues with him we found out after but he had started spreading rumours about us. He had told them horrible things that were completely untrue. As such the new neighbours never talked to us and even shunned us. We thought it odd at first but soon got on with our lives never realising it was the plumber spreading rumours.
    2 years ago in that very bad winter when everyone's water froze, electricity was out I saw the not so new neighbour drive past. They had left for the holidays and came back on honestly the worst day. I saw him try to drive along the street and up his drive way. However his drive is incredibly steep and in the snow/ice it was impassable. He kept trying though as his place is on a bend so leaving the car outside was not safe. I said to my ma and da that we should offer him some help, they said it was none of our business and no point considering how they treated us. However it is not in my nature to leave someone out in that cold in a situation like that. I wrapped up warm as the weather had turned into a mini blizzard. I shuffled along the road to their place and as he got out of the car I made my self known to him. He was kinda freaky guy, maybe 6'7 and from what I was told he is a real life Butler! To say the least I am a 5'4 gal and was a lil intimidated. He regarded me warily but I offered that we have a drive around the back of our house if he needs to get his car off the road. There was no issue with ice etc so he could easily make it. We had a large stock of water bottles so if he needed some he had but to ask. His face broke into a smile and he thanked me profusely, he took us up on the offer of parking round the back but said he had picked up water earlier that day.
    It was 4 days before Christmas then and on Christmas Eve his entire family turned up at the door with a present and a card. We were shocked to say the least and since then our families have been close friends. It turns out we had a lot of things in common. The plumber moved away last year after a court case from over 40 people came against him and his shoddy work!

The greatest rewards and never monetary but simply knowing you have done some good in the world. 

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭derryvella

got cash reward from work for  driving waste reduction therefore lowering costs

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I offered a reward when my wallet and jacket were stolen, but didn't get them back

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

got an exta cash reward from my boss for doing an extra bit of OT at work the other week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

I cooked Christmas dinner for my mam after she had just donated her kidney to my dad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement