Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live from Space on Channel 4

Options
  • 10-03-2014 1:10pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for 3 programmes on this week on Channel 4.
    Wed March 12 at 9pm "Astronauts: Living in Space"
    Thu March 13 at 9pm "Astronauts: Houston we have a problem"
    Sun March 16 at 7:30pm "Live for Space: Lap of the Planet" a live event from Mission Control and the ISS during one orbit of the planet.
    http://space.channel4.com/about/

Also on Sunday March 16 at 7pm on National Geographic "Cosmos A Spacetime Odyssey" Follow on series from Carl Sagans iconic "Cosmos" in the 80's
    http://natgeotv.com/uk/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

good show, just a pity they have dermot o'leary presenting he should stick to x factor

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

fryup wrote: »
    good show, just a pity they have dermot o'leary presenting he should stick to x factor

indeed. Why Dermot. Mind you he doesn't do much so far. Not a ground breaking program so far anyway, just all right

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Its an interesting look at just how normal the Astronauts are with normal lives, just fantastic jobs. looking forward to the rest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Dear Channel 4, the quote is " Houston, we've had a problem

Takes like 10 seconds to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Really enjoying these. Can't wait for the live lap on Sunday. Thanks for the heads up Beeker!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Dear Channel 4, the quote is " Houston, we've had a problem

Takes like 10 seconds to look it up.

:)
    Swigert: 'Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here.'
    Houston: 'This is Houston. Say again please.'
    Lovell: 'Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a main B bus undervolt.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Agree - Interesting concept and a good insight into the running of the ISS and the astronauts lives both in work and at home. But why Dermot O'Leary?

Mike Massimino appeared on the Big Bang Theory, he's the one who gave Walowitz the nickname of Fruit Loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Having Dermot O'Leary do it was a great idea I think. There's realistically very few of us who'd be out gettin sweets in the shop so we could sit in and watch it presented by Brian Cox or Kevin Fong, although I'd certainly be one of them! The purpose of it was to crack into the general population and show that science isn't a skeleton in a dusty lab. Unfortunately for us all, society's heroes and role models are bred on XFactor now. Channel 4 may well have tricked some people into realising, hey this stuff is important, exciting and pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Really enjoyed it last night but couldn't Ch4 find a proper presenter?
    O'Leary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Having Dermot O'Leary do it was a great idea I think. There's realistically very few of us who'd be out gettin sweets in the shop so we could sit in and watch it presented by Brian Cox or Kevin Fong, although I'd certainly be one of them! The purpose of it was to crack into the general population and show that science isn't a skeleton in a dusty lab. Unfortunately for us all, society's heroes and role models are bred on XFactor now. Channel 4 may well have tricked some people into realising, hey this stuff is important, exciting and pretty cool.
    This +1
    All of us old fogies are set in our ways. Its the young lads we need to inspire. Well, i wouldnt inspire much more than rising damp but yano. We have to drag our kids away from their tablets from here on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

For anyone in Australia it's live now on National Geographic.

Looks amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'm loving watching this..

Dermot is much nicer to look at than some old professor type bloke in a tweed suit :-)

Looking forward to Sunday's show..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭space2ground1

shedweller wrote: »
    This +1
    All of us old fogies are set in our ways. Its the young lads we need to inspire. Well, i wouldnt inspire much more than rising damp but yano. We have to drag our kids away from their tablets from here on!!

I'm a primary teacher and I have the kids space mad. They're out looking for ISS passes, watching for Soyuz launches, looking at the live feeds from the station etc. They're so enthusiastic about it and it gives them a reason to want to do the less glamorous groundwork in maths and science. What annoys me is how the TV and media never fed these kids anything that portrayed space science and maths in this light before. Since Hadfield broke the mould on bringing their work to the general public, there's been a bit of a turnaround in the Irish and UK media & TV. The existing great programmes have a better time slot and the new stuff like C4's live events are excellent. It all goes to normalise science and maths as something that's cool with 10-16 year olds. That's your holy grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I assume its going to be repeated on 4OD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Lost signal with ISS they're DOOMED!!!!

But seriously... Apparently it's common... It's a shame... They haven't shown enough of the earth thus far...

I'm a primary teacher and I have the kids space mad. They're out looking for ISS passes, watching for Soyuz launches, looking at the live feeds from the station etc. They're so enthusiastic about it and it gives them a reason to want to do the less glamorous groundwork in maths and science. What annoys me is how the TV and media never fed these kids anything that portrayed space science and maths in this light before. Since Hadfield broke the mould on bringing their work to the general public, there's been a bit of a turnaround in the Irish and UK media & TV. The existing great programmes have a better time slot and the new stuff like C4's live events are excellent. It all goes to normalise science and maths as something that's cool with 10-16 year olds. That's your holy grail.

That's great to hear. Anything that inspires young people to explore the world using science is to be encouraged. Try to get them to watch "Cosmos a Spacetime Odyssey" starting this weekend on National Geographic, A new 13 part series with Neil Degrass Tyson. This is a follow on from the 80's Carl Sagan series Cosmos which was iconic and inspired me as a kid.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/live-from-space/4od#3662426 life in space

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/live-from-space/4od#3662439 the prog shows when yerman's helmet filled up with water

one thing that surprised me was one of the american astronauts saying they don't see the russia that much cos they have their owns jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/live-from-space/4od#3662426 life in space

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/live-from-space/4od#3662439 the prog shows when yerman's helmet filled up with water

one thing that surprised me was one of the american astronauts saying they don't see the russia that much cos they have their owns jobs
    I was surprised at how seperate they are. They could go days without seeing each other!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are they still just messing round with ants up there?

when an astronaut does a space walk is he actually travelling at 17,000 mph

does everything travel/orbit at the same speed in space??

• Advertisement

Yes the astronaut and the station are both travelling at the same speed 17500mph in fact. The speed in orbit depends on your height. In low Earth orbit where the ISS is about 250 miles up you need to travel at 17500 mph to stay in orbit. It takes you about 90 minutes to complete one orbit of the Earth.
    If you are at 22,300 miles up in geostationary orbit (where TV satellites like the SKY satellite are you travel at about 6800mph and it takes you 24 hours to complete one orbit of the Earth. This means the satellite appears to be stationary above one point on the Earth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most people launch satellites to the east to benefit from speed of Earth's rotation. But for some strange reason the Israelis launch westwards out over the Med so their satellites are orbiting at 17,000mph in the opposite direction

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that a head on collision with a closing speed of 34,000 mph would not be a good thing.

but i take it an astronaut would have no sense of travelling at such a high speed??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you're on an airplane you're travelling at almost 500 miles an hour at cruising speed. It doesn't seem like you're going that fast but that's because you're high up and all the points of reference are far away. You can't see fine detail from far away, and large features take longer to traverse, so it looks like things are moving slowly beneath you even though you're travelling long distances.

Also, your experience of motion is related to changes in your velocity. If you speed up or slow down or change direction, you will feel these changes. But if you reach a speed and maintain it, your body feels no different to how it would feel if it was standing still.

If there was no air resistance and you found yourself plummetting towards the earth at terminal velocity. Your body would feel weightless and it would feel like the earth is rushing up towards you to hit you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

but i take it an astronaut would have no sense of travelling at such a high speed??
    first of all the astronaut is moving at a constant speed so no sensation of acceleration/deceleration

apart of course from weightlessness which feels like falling

the visual effect depends on the altitiude and as the video feed shows it's about the same as in an airliner at cuising height or an old piston engined plane travelling at half the speed because they have half the cruising altitude

it's one of those coincidences like the moon and sun appearing to be the same size

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

first of all the astronaut is moving at a constant speed so no sensation of acceleration/deceleration

apart of course from weightlessness which feels like falling

the visual effect depends on the altitiude and as the video feed shows it's about the same as in an airliner at cuising height or an old piston engined plane travelling at half the speed because they have half the cruising altitude

it's one of those coincidences like the moon and sun appearing to be the same size

Small ...... Far away!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Beeker wrote: »
    Yes the astronaut and the station are both travelling at the same speed 17500mph in fact. The speed in orbit depends on your height. In low Earth orbit where the ISS is about 250 miles up you need to travel at 17500 mph to stay in orbit.

how about direction? does everything travel in the same direction in space?

i mean if a tiny object was hurtling in the opposite direction at that speed it would go right through you surely?

philstar wrote: »
    how about direction? does everything travel in the same direction in space?

i mean if a tiny object was hurtling in the opposite direction at that speed it would go right through you surely?
    No, a couple of posts back I mentioned the Israeli's launching in the opposite direction. So a collision speed of up to twice orbital velocity

BTW escape velocity is [latex]\sqrt{2 }[/latex] times orbital velocity

Advertisement