Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountains Way?

Options
  • 10-03-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I really want to take part in the Dublin Mountains Challenge for Barretstown at the end of May this year.

There's an option for a 21km trek or the full 42km trek. I really want to do the longer one just for the challenge but various friends and family are not sold on the idea and are saying to go for the shorter 21km.

I am reasonably fit, run, cycle and walk lots but haven't done any trekking for a good few years since the kids came along. Is it achievable without significant training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I would go for the 21km option, unless you regularly do 30km+ hikes. You'll be on your feet for twice as long as you would be when running. Don't underestimate the distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

bermia wrote: »

I am reasonably fit, run, cycle and walk lots but haven't done any trekking for a good few years since the kids came along. Is it achievable without significant training?

I'd say it is achievable but would be very challenging / sore. If you have a good base level of fitness you should be able to achieve anything, it will just hurt you a lot more and take a lot longer than someone who has that kind of mileage in the legs on a regular basis.

So if you want to do it I'm sure you can, but it won't be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

21k is an achievable goal which will leave you feeling like you achieved something.

If you do the longer one and pull out before the end or suffer badly during it what's the fun in that?

21k is a good distance for an average hill walker let alone someone who hasn't hiked for a few years.

Either way good luck and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Simple way to find out . Go out and walk or attempt to walk twenty K and see how you get on , pick a flat rout . If that goes well try a 30K somewhere like the Wicklow way which is similar in difficulty . If you can do 30K as a training walk then with the hype etc. on the day you should be able for the 42k event.
    In my opinion you are more likely to be effected by boredom on all the road sections . Half the walk is on road and some busy roads at that .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Peter Brennan

could you run a marathon ? if the ans is yes then could you walk a marathon on changeable terrain possibly wet , windy , spongy yet beautiful views and sweet air .if the ans is also yes then do the 42 .You would most likely have to train and condition . Best also to do it on parts of same route .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bermia

Did it happily in 9 hours with plenty of breaks. Great day out on behalf of Barretstown with the Dublin Mountains Partnership. A lot of it is along road which isn't so great really. But weather was great, boots were fine, and it was a great achievement by me!

Thanks all for support.

Advertisement