Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Training Methods

• 10-03-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I have to take training for a few weeks to cover for a guy going on Vacation.
    Just wondering how I can put my own stamp on things .I was thinking about 20 mins Fartlek 20 Mins drills and a 20 min game with 10 mins warm down.Should it be done in that format I wonder.Should I do some strength and conditioning exercises also.and at what stage of the session .Thanks Guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

lenny1020 wrote: »
    I have to take training for a few weeks to cover for a guy going on Vacation.
    Just wondering how I can put my own stamp on things .I was thinking about 20 mins Fartlek 20 Mins drills and a 20 min game with 10 mins warm down.Should it be done in that format I wonder.Should I do some strength and conditioning exercises also.and at what stage of the session .Thanks Guys

What age are they? What level do they play? What training have they done so far? What days are they aiming for? What sport do they play? What surface are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lenny1020

What age are they? What level do they play? What training have they done so far? What days are they aiming for? What sport do they play? What surface are you using?

Adult team. Playing Junior Football.Bit of Gym on their own done so far and three team sessions.Training on a soft pitch .Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I wish I was going on a vacation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

lenny1020 wrote: »

Adult team. Playing Junior Football.Bit of Gym on their own done so far and three team sessions.Training on a soft pitch .Thanks

Should be able to get some good advice here so, just that without some of that info it'd be hard for lads (or ladies) to advise you.Should have said I'm no expert on fitness, and haven't the faintest clue about football.

I'm a big fan of core work in training though, because it's something lads often wont do on their own, especially at junior. A few minutes given over to planks and side planks, wheelbarrows (done properly, obviously) is well spent as long as you keep it up for a couple of weeks.

Couldn't speak to what you need in terms of drills or game-time in football. In hurling I like a training session to build up from a basic skill drill, with a twist put into the drill half way through so that it includes an opponent and contact ie get the skill right then get them doing it under pressure. Then develop that into a small game situation in which the skill is being practiced in a game-simulating environment. Make sure you're explaining the drill quickly and clearly so people aren't standing about wondering what they're doing, and please, please, explain to lads WHY they're doing the drill (I'd run through a wall if someone tells me why it has to be done). The time splits seem about right to me, maybe vary up the fitness to include the ball a bit, because running gets boring and it's time they could be improving a skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

We do one hour in n out Warmup reps of kickpassing n handpassing Then various small sided games with posession or scoring Relays with soloing Circuits sometimes which has one station catching n one soloing n rest body exercises The warmup reps of kicking n handpassing are close together to maximise number of reps n focus on simple basics rather than spectacular 40 yard kickpasses that junior players probably wont pull off in a game anyways

• Advertisement
Advertisement