Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children playing in open sewers in estate

Options
  • 10-03-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,
    I live in a NAMA estate. Place was left a tip. My next door is just the bare foundations. They wire fenced a partition between the properties.
    My question is that there are open sewers 6 ft from my house. There were lids but the kids who play in them threw them away. You read that right. .. In summertime children scoop the "water" or of these or block them with stones which would have consequences for my sewers. I tried chasing the kids for their own good but I'm not always there.
    I went to the council but they said it want their problem! All I asked was they seal the lids keep the kids away, but nothing!

Who do you go to next?

Sorry if this is wrong forum.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you know someone who knows a journalist, or a city councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Hi Piggy Wiggy,
    You could call the Environmental health officer and report the same,
    As its only a matter of time and some poor child getting hurt or sick. Also when the local politician's come calling looking for your vote , You can tell them Fix that and We will Vote for you tell them all the same... http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/environ/Contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

What kind of people would let their children play in the sewers?

As mentioned above , report it to the health officer and council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Also report it to the fire officer, this them that will recover the body if anything goes wroing. Make sure the councli and NAMA know that if a child dies palying there that you will make sure it's well known that they knew about the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Contact the insurance company and security company responsible for the property. This will get the quickest reaction.

Forget the health aspects children playing on an unsecured a building site is really dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I went to the council but they said it want their problem!
    Actually, I don't think they can get away with it quite that easily. Public health is a council issue.

Raise it with NAMA and the property owner (presumably the builder / developer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

This is election time. Get onto all your local Councillors who are seeking re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi all,
    I live in a NAMA estate. Place was left a tip. My next door is just the bare foundations. They wire fenced a partition between the properties.
    My question is that there are open sewers 6 ft from my house. There were lids but the kids who play in them threw them away. You read that right. .. In summertime children scoop the "water" or of these or block them with stones which would have consequences for my sewers. I tried chasing the kids for their own good but I'm not always there.
    I went to the council but they said it want their problem! All I asked was they seal the lids keep the kids away, but nothing!

Who do you go to next?

Sorry if this is wrong forum.

Thanks

Sewer covers are not lifted by kids. And in terms of scrap are worth a fair bit. I would lose the assumption that kids are taking them because any new covers will go the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 piggly wiggly

That's a great idea. Never thought of environmental health officer! Thanks so much. I will start looking them up in the morning.

There is no security company. The builder went bust apparently and Hi tailed it back up the north.

I don't think the parents realise what their children are doing. There is no play area facilities for them so the wander around the site.

I never considered the sewer lids being stolen!

Thanks for all the great replies.

I will go back and try town council again. Might email photos.... cc it to someone of significance. ... Might put a fire under their bum!

Thanks again all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

If its a nama estate, have you tried contacting them? As someone said, there must be insurance in place. Contact them also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 piggly wiggly

Thanks Gavman.
    How would I find out about insurance? Would I contact all the main companies and ask if this is in their books?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Going to Nama is the best bet. I'm not sure who would provide their cover.

Essentially though, there must be some way, as a resident in an estate controlled by NAMA, to speak to someone about day to day issues on the site.

Advertisement