Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Declan's Way

Options
  • 10-03-2014 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi All
    I'm planning on walking this route (St Declan's Way) from Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipp to Ardmore, Co. Waterford over the August bank holiday weekend with a group of friends (moderate to fairly experienced walkers). I've done some research on the internet but was just wondering if anyone on this forum had done the walk and what their experience of it was? Am only in the very early stages of planning at the moment and trying to split the route into four days walking, looking for accommodation along the way. All advice gratefully received :D
    Thanks in advance
    f

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If you contact me by PM, I might be able to help. I produced a map for the walk many years ago - it's well out of print now. There was also a Millennium project that didn't come to fruition covering the route from Ardmore to Lismore and some mapping was made for that. Co-incidentally I was down in the Goatenbridge area recently and it seems like local tourism initiative organised a trip along the route last summer - 100+ took part in it. I saw some waymarking high in the forest but I think signposting is likely to be very patchy. The route from Goatenbridge to Cashel is pretty much as covered by the Tipperary Heritage Way.

It is a fine route in it's own way. Unlike a good many similar trails, there is real history behind this one, you are literally following a route that many people have tramped over the centuries. However the high crossing of the Knockmealdown ridge makes it ineligible for 'official approval' as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

PM on its way

Advertisement