Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Req: Fitting rivnuts

Options
  • 10-03-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi there,

So im converting a VW Transporter T4 into a Surf Van and im going with Rivnuts as fixing points. I have bought several different types and none seem to be working out at the moment.

Originally I bought a set of M6 plain rivnuts but was advised to get the ones with knuckled ridges to reduce the possibility of vibrating loose over time. I bought stainless steel knuckled rivnuts which were great. However they were extremely hard to fit and eventually broke the rivnut tool which I had borrowed (D'oh!). I was advised that you would need a hydraulic tool for fitting them, not a hand tool.

Instead of trying to buy or find such a tool, I decided to switch to Aluminium rivnuts to try and solve the problem. These too proved troublesome as they were mushrooming unevenly and not forming a good enough grip on the metal (maybe they were cheap manufacturing standard).

I'm thinking of switching back to the Stainless steel rivnuts but I would need to get them fitted. Does anyone know who might have such a tool. Im thinking a place that converts taxi's for wheelchair accessibility or car customisation garages might?

EDIT: Im in the Dublin area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi

Not in a position to help you but perhaps if you put up your general location, it might help somebody point you in the right direction

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Yep :-)

That would help alright. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Thanks Se,

I didn't realise that Radionics did them. Dang, I would have went to them first and probably saved money on them too. I bought them online from the UK. There is a place in the Robinhood industrial estate called Dublin Nut & Bolt but they don't open on the weekend. They also sell a small selection in Wurst in the Ballymount industrial estate.

I was using a hand tool and im not sure if they're are strong enough for the nuts I have. I was using a Wurst tool that broke. They are a pretty decent tool, so it took some force to do it. We bought a replacement for the one we broke but also picked one up for ourselves from a different manufacturer but it turned out to be rubbish. I may need to re-think and try something besides Aluminium and Stainless steel. I'll need to get a sample of a few types or a hydraulic tool

I checked with Cafco (coach builders in Dublin). They don't fit things like this as their fixtures are normally permanent. They don't know who would either.

Im going to go back to Wurst and see about getting another hand tool. It might be my technique. Problem is i've already dropped over €120 trying to get this solution in and fitted. Just for a couple of nuts. I guess these are the joys of vehicle conversions.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement