Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best places to do in Dublin paddys night?

Options
  • 10-03-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Going to Dublin for St.Patricks, where would people recommend to go out that night.. group of 5 :)
    don't know anything in Dublin bar the academy and the O2..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nearly every pub will be packed to the rafters.

Last year there were queues out the doors around Temple Bar at midday.

Depends on what you are into/looking for really as there is such a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I work a pub/club door in Templebar and honestly the best advice I can give is go elsewhere.

Paddy's day in Dublin is the worse day to work a door, Arthur's Day being only slightly less so.

If you really have to go out on Paddy's Day I'd suggest leaving it until after 10pm when a lot of the drunken scum have ran out of steam and gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I always find that the night before Paddys Day is a better night to go out than Paddys night itself. You get a nicer crowd without the drunken scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

Last year we went to The Gypsy Rose. It's on the quay near temple bar. It was still quite crowded but no as crowded as temple bar itself where we were not able to even get close to pub's doors. No drunken summers there, nice music (if you like rock/metal-like things) and some quite interesting visitors.

I would also suggest trying to go somewhere outside of city center. Places like ballsbridge, grand canal dock or some normally quiet villages (Blackrock?) may also be good or at least better than Temple Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Where abouts are you staying? If you are staying City Centre then head out of the City Centre if you are based out of the City Centre then stay where you are. Basically just don't bother with the City Centre everywhere is just crammed full of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

vrusinov wrote: »

I would also suggest trying to go somewhere outside of city center. Places like ballsbridge, grand canal dock or some normally quiet villages (Blackrock?) may also be good or at least better than Temple Bar.

Yep agreed. Suburbia a far better option. Terenure would be another suggestion, some decent boozers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

jimmii wrote: »
    Where abouts are you staying? If you are staying City Centre then head out of the City Centre if you are based out of the City Centre then stay where you are. Basically just don't bother with the City Centre everywhere is just crammed full of people.

Staying in the mespil in ballsbridge..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Staying in the mespil in ballsbridge..

There are a few pubs around there..

The Leeson Lounge
    O'Briens
    The Waterloo
    Searsons
    Smyths
    The Wellington

All decent places.

Honestly, unless you want utter madness, I'd stay away from the city centre. I live in the city centre, and the last few years, I've gotten the hell out of there for Paddy's Day. It's just bedlam. I can't emphasise that enough.. And come early evening, it's like a scene from the Walking Dead, with zombie like beings stumbling around the place, while the streets are covered in vomit, broken glass, and abandoned fast food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Day for the off-licence. Then finish off the tins while listening to Joe Duffy on Tuesday speaking to Shocked and Horrified, Frightened and Ashamed with "de antics of de young people and the pubs that do be serving them...wasn't like that in my day..." brigade.

• Advertisement

There are a few pubs around there..

The Leeson Lounge
    O'Briens
    The Waterloo
    Searsons
    Smyths
    The Wellington

All decent places.

Honestly, unless you want utter madness, I'd stay away from the city centre. I live in the city centre, and the last few years, I've gotten the hell out of there for Paddy's Day. It's just bedlam. I can't emphasise that enough.. And come early evening, it's like a scene from the Walking Dead, with zombie like beings stumbling around the place, while the streets are covered in vomit, broken glass, and abandoned fast food.

Thinking of drinkin a bit near hotel.first then headin fibbers..

Thanks for advice guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Thinking of drinkin a bit near hotel.first then headin fibbers..

Thanks for advice guys :D

As mentioned some really good places in that part of Ballsbridge, where the mespil is. isn't it called "Baggot village" now to distinguish itself from ballsbridge village?

Anyways, brief run down of baggot village pubs next to the mespil hotel.

Pubs:

The wellington - small and friendly pub with some good choices of ale.

The 51- quite a large pub that does cheap food. well laid out and good for groups. there is a really nice Argentine restaurant next door.

Smyths - very traditional irish pub across the road from the 51. really friendly place. great pub.

Mespil hotel bar - very average plain hotel pub. nothing bad about it but nothing to distinguish it. you know the type of place.

The Den hotel bar a little further down the strip but a really spacious pub flanked by all the expensive Georgian houses. great outdoor area and good service.

Bars:

The Dylan - very swanky hotel bar with a lovely courtyard outside for the beer garden. if the sun is out its a great spot. good cocktails.

Searsons - huge bar, very popular with the rugby crowd. has a live piano bar on a sunday night I believe and good food. will have a great atmosphere on paddys night no doubt.

The Waterloo - stunning bar really. very long and cavernous with good drinks choices. again a very popular spot with plenty of room for groups. good food in the restaurant upstairs.

You can also wander up towards Beggars bush. some great pubs there too.
    Or, after samping the places listed above, just continue along baggot street over the grand canal and youre in the city centre.

enjoy!

liffeylite wrote: »
    As mentioned some really good places in that part of Ballsbridge, where the mespil is. isn't it called "Baggot village" now to distinguish itself from ballsbridge village?

Pubs:

The 51- quite a large pub that does cheap food. well laid out and good for groups. there is a really nice Argentine restaurant next door.

Smyths - very traditional irish pub across the road from the 51. really friendly place. great pub.

Mespil hotel bar - very average plain hotel pub. nothing bad about it but nothing to distinguish it. you know the type of place.

The Den hotel bar a little further down the strip but a really spacious pub flanked by all the expensive Georgian houses. great outdoor area and good service.

Bars:

The Dylan - very swanky hotel bar with a lovely courtyard outside for the beer garden. if the sun is out its a great spot. good cocktails.

Searsons - huge bar, very popular with the rugby crowd. has a live piano bar on a sunday night I believe and good food. will have a great atmosphere on paddys night no doubt.

The Waterloo - stunning bar really. very long and cavernous with good drinks choices. again a very popular spot with plenty of room for groups. good food in the restaurant upstairs.

Or, after samping the places listed above, just continue along baggot street over the grand canal and youre in the city centre.

enjoy!

the extent of my Dublin knowledge really on show there..
    must hit a few of them alright! thanks a million

how long a walk would it take into the city centre?

the extent of my Dublin knowledge really on show there..
    must hit a few of them alright! thanks a million

how long a walk would it take into the city centre?

well technically youre in the city centre as soon as you cross the bridge. which is 2 mins walk from the mespil.

but say to the north eastern corner of stephens green from your hotel, youre looking about 15- 20 mins. another 5 mins tops brings you to grafton street.

there are pubs along baggot street lower ( the street that you would walk along, over the bridge and into the city centre) on top of those listed above on baggot street upper.

So baggot street lower = city centre
    baggot street upper = ballsbrisge ( baggot village)

the dividing line in the bridge.

there is the baggot mile pub crawl actually this shows a map and pubs along the route to stephens green...

http://www.jar.ie/article/the-baggot-mile-pub-crawl-dublin

Pubs:

Bars:

enjoy!

Any of those serve nice cheap
    food?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The Waterloo does amazing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pubs:...

No? :confused:

This is not New York!

Birneybau wrote: »
    No? :confused:

This is not New York!

Not my title..
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Village-at-Upper-Baggot-Street/231307156882586

in fairness the rebranding has boosted trade. a street is a street whether its in soho, temple bar on in ballsbridge. But marketing and branding equals good news for the businesses. That's the main thing in my book.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What other events are going on today does anyone know?

Advertisement